• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

good movies?

Originally posted by xtollo
James, I finally saw "Life as a House", what did you think?

Jon

I haven't seen it yet, but your comments don't surprise me, as studios often see the success of a smaller film and try to xerox it to death, or until it doesn't become profitable. They do it every chance they get and it often comes in threes, so expect one more similar film like that to come down the pipes in the near future.

Plus, it really hasn't grabbed me as far as the promo material went. I wasn't really inspired by any of the claims of Kevin Kline of being Oscar worthy material (I see that claim made at least 4 times in a month). As for Hayden Christiansen, I can't help but think that they were riding his landing the role for Star Wars Episode 2 for all it was worth. Otherwise, I think a lot of people would've been saying "who?"

From the Ministry of response

Prime Minister Highsteppa

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by :shimon:

Princess and the Warrior - from the director of Run Lola Run , with the same lead actress

FINALLY saw this. it was luverly.

and that post about billy elliot just reminded me of how much that movie makes me cry like a baby. and how my heartless friends laughed at me for doing so :(

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mandapanda

FINALLY saw this. it was luverly.

i agree...i saw Princess and the Warrior a few months ago and found it to be so emotional...it was a nice chilled out Sunday too. :)

Stan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa

I'm guessing you're looking forward to Sum Of All Fears with Affleck and Morgan Freeman next month?

Also, Matt Damon is supposed to be in talks for Rainbow Six. Hope it gets made.

From the Ministry of Rainbow Six = kick ass action

Dear God... wtf part is pigface going to be in Rainbow Six?

The one Tom Clancy book I'm really hoping they do a screen adaptation of is Without Remorse.

noahmintz

TRIBE Member
If you liked Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas ... you should check out Where The Buffalo Roam
It's a movie about Hunter S Thompson
Starring no other than the wondeful Bill Murray

stu

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

gazgiz

TRIBE Member
did anyone mention boondock saints? that has my vote...a fooking hilarious film, good casting. william dafoe(sp?), sean patrick thomas (he was also in suicide kings), i can't name others. but i found this film thoroughly enjoyable.

Little1

TRIBE Member
I can tell you a movie that you absolutely should not go see: The Scorpion King. Definitely something to rent, but not worth paying to see it in the theatre.

ivezs

TRIBE Member
THE DEEP END....

One of those no name films that you don't see trailers for and you've never heard of any of the actors but it's a pretty decent movie....the ending is frustrating but adds a nice twist...a worthwhile rental.

Stan

TRIBE Member
Just saw Blade 2 the other night, (thanks to the magic of Grokster :D)

An extremely gory movie, much more graphic than what I was expecting (especially after having seen Queen Of The Damned recently). Not too bad a flick, sorta like Aliens except with vampires. Nice to see Donnie Yen getting some work, however, his role was totally wasted in this movie. Hopefully he'll get some better roles in the future (think Jet Li, only he can actually speak English).

atomic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by :shimon:
A few of the recent movies I've seen that I thought were worth watching:

Princess and the Warrior - from the director of Run Lola Run , with the same lead actress

I really liked this flick! the scence with her under the truck was great.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
i love british films

a few of my favs:

Saving Grace - about a 60-something widow left with a huge debt, how her and her gardner try to save her estate by growing weed. (be careful, there is an american 'saving grace' too

Shooting Fish - i can't find this flick Anywhere!!! i saw it in the UK about 4 years ago. if anyone knows where to get it let me know

Waking Ned Devine - cutest film ever. It's good for all ages too, even your grandma will enjoy this one.

the rest of my favs have been mentioned.

noahmintz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ivezs
THE DEEP END....

One of those no name films that you don't see trailers for and you've never heard of any of the actors but it's a pretty decent movie....the ending is frustrating but adds a nice twist...a worthwhile rental.
Isn't someone from ER in that movie?

stu

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
To back up el Pres, Donnie Darko is a brilliant MUST SEE if you like movies that aren't just pablum drooling down your chin from a soggy waxed cup. Ring is great for japanese horror, but also check out Audition.. much more chilling if you can take the pace.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE LIKES LOCK, STOCK.. and SNATCH so much?!? I though Snatch was one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen, and Lock, Stock.. was interesting from a stylistic point of view for about 15 seconds. Same with Run, Lola, Run. I enjoyed it, but it was an exercise in style more than a great film, IMO.

WAKING LIFE!!! There is a great recent must-see. HEDWIG and the ANGRY INCH. Another must-see, that most of you will never rent because you're afraid of psuedo-musicals dealing with gender issues. :p

BBB.

..my butt, now THERE'S a must see!

mcbee

TRIBE Member
just rented Ghost World recently. excellent flick.

the characters do all the things i do and wish i would do.

:)sarah