• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

good junk stores

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
Can anyone recommend some awesome junk stores to check out (and that are hopefully open Sundays)? I need to pick up a 1930s era suitcase, either with stickers or without.

I'm aware of one along Harbord near Clinton (???), a few at Queen/Bathurst that I'm not sure are open today, and I'm checking out the Toronto Antique Centre.

thanks!

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I'm pretty sure the ones at Queen and Bathurst are not open on Sunday. They have stupid hours during the week too. Also they're wicked expensive. They'd claim that the suitcase is vintage and worth $300.

Soulster

TRIBE Member
okay, i honestly read the title as "good junk stories" and thought this was gonna be some weird thread about men's packages.

lol

aether

TRIBE Member
there's a collection of stores at queen&ronces. my favourite cheap one is closed on sundays tho, you may or may not have luck at the others, most of them are more 'antique' than 'junk' tho.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
right in my neighbourhood, queen just east of ronces, there's a collection of antique/vintage/junk stores that would probably have some. you could also try kensington.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
aether said:
there's a collection of stores at queen&ronces. my favourite cheap one is closed on sundays tho, you may or may not have luck at the others, most of them are more 'antique' than 'junk' tho.
ha!

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
I forgot about the Queen West ones, which is awesome because I live straight north of there! Aaron, are there any good ones by your house?

we can exchange good junk stories too. i don't have any that don't involve accidental kneeing, sorry.

aether

TRIBE Member
there are, but they're mostly appliance-type-junk stores. i got a kitchen-aid mixer at one for $50. there's a good book-junk store too. I can't think of any that carry furniture/clothing/household items tho.

any chance that value village in your neighbourhood might have something? or a sally-anne?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Queen East between Pape & Greenwood on the north side. It a goldmine! A GOLDMINE!

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
aether said:
there are, but they're mostly appliance-type-junk stores. i got a kitchen-aid mixer at one for $50. there's a good book-junk store too. I can't think of any that carry furniture/clothing/household items tho.

any chance that value village in your neighbourhood might have something? or a sally-anne?

if you're talking queen and ronces there's a ton of furniture. not so much clothes right in the just-east-of-ronces strip, for clothes there's a goodwill on ronces north of queen and a sally ann and a good one called thrift town (also has furniture on the basement) on queen a little farther east, between sauraren and lansdowne.

aether

TRIBE Member
talking about 'the junction'/keele&dundas actually. i think jord would probably have more luck in ronces than up here looking for a classic suitcase.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
ah, yes i agree.

and if you do, there's a great new cafe in the area called poor john's as well. yummy brunch.

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
the vintage paper show was on at the cbc building today and i got soooooooo sidetracked from my original mission today because of it. oops!