1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Good Headphones? (not for djing)

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by [- FuNKtiOn -], Jul 25, 2010.

1. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

so I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones to use while out and about on my travels.

for at least the last 5 years I've gone through a couple pairs of Sony MDR-V300's, seen here:
    [​IMG]

I like them a lot, from the cup shaping (makes great ear muffs in the winter), to the sound quality, to the look itself being that they are sleek and not oversized.
    I don't like how they break on me, as I find the plastic headband piece is poorly put together and often needs super glue within the first year or 2 of owning.
    I'm also not particularly a big fan of the giant cord between the headphones and the jack itself.

I'd like to keep the cost in the same ballpark as these, really not looking to spend more than $100 for headphones I only use on my travels to and from work.
    oh and for the record, I am not interested in earbuds.

any suggestions?

2. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

Bay Bloor Radio has an entire rack of headphones ready to try. You can try everything from the $100 phones to the $1000 phones. Bring a CD in and have some fun.

One thing that I find annoying is that after dipping my toes into HiFi, I'll always have stereo inadequacy syndrome. There will always be something out there wayyyy better.

Quite happy with my Monster Beats though.

3. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

Sennheiser HD 202 Headphones

I seriously doubt you'll find them for the price shown in the link...more like $50-$60

they are the best purchase I've made in a little while

4. SyKicK

SyKicK TRIBE Member

While shopping for headphones I've found this site helpful.

HeadRoom

5. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

Here's a message board that takes their headphones very seriously.

head-fi.org/forum/

6. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

crazy - everyone that's replied starts with an "s" !!!

7. Vote_4_Pedro

Vote_4_Pedro TRIBE Member

Buy another pair of Sony's and get the warranty. Gasp - I know, but my friend has the exact same pair and replaces them all the time, as he uses the crap outta them. One time were the warranty actually is worth it.

8. derek

derek TRIBE Member

you should look at some of the akg models. there's a few under $100.00.

i swear by akg. they make solid headphones. i've had many sony headphones for dj'ing, and the cord was always an issue; not so much a problem with the akgs, as the cord is replaceable.

the k77s are a bit big for travelling, if you're willing to spend a little more, i'd go for the k-430 with the closed back.

also, i know you didn't want to hear about ear buds, but i got to admit i love mine. the sound is actually quite good.

9. At the risk of getting the ire of the board from the audiophiles, I'm curious to hear thoughts on the Beats headphones by Dr. Dre. I gave a pair a listen at HMV downtown, they sounded pretty good, but I'm having a hard time believing that there's anything there that justifies the $350.00 price tag other than the fact that they have Dre's name attached to them.

10. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

at home - senn hd590
    on the road - koss ksc 75

i need to get some better in-flight cans though ...

11. AgentSanchez

AgentSanchez TRIBE Promoter

12. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

Grados are great bang for the buck if you don't mind sound bleed.

The sonys listed above, or the MDR7506s are quite good if you need comfort and closed backs. Their cups fit over your ear and will be even better as earmuffs. They are also super comfy (i just realized i have them on right now). Oh and they sound great and the band is made of something non-plastic. I'm not sure what it is. Some combination of wire and leather that never breaks.

13. vinder

vinder TRIBE Member

why not earbuds? i feel like a huge dork wearing over the ear headphones out in public. plus if they are not very good for working out / snowboarding, etc. i just find that a good set of earbuds have significantly better sound quality than an equivalent priced pair of over the ear headphones. you really have to spend a lot to get quality over the ear headphones.

p.s. i own a pair of klipsch s-4i earbuds, they sound great, have received great reviews, and are ~$100.

14. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i like these b/c they were dirt cheap, they are not too big, and give you nice bass even when your surroundings are noisy:

[​IMG]

the tradeoff is a loss of clarity though...

15. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

If you don't mind trying an ear bud. The older Apple in ear buds are amazing. Not sure if you can buy them without a mic these days but the ones I have right now are the older version and they have lasted me about 4 years!

The bass is incredible and the mids and highs are perfect. I often use them as a reference for production at times because it's the closest thing to my studio monitors in a headphone.

Here is an image to the ones I own. I am not sure how to find them as they have been replaced by a newer model with mic

[​IMG]

Here is a link the newer version: Apple In-Ear Headphones - Mp3 Players - 14% OFF!

16. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

whoops my bad I thought this thread read, For Good Head Phone

17. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

thanks to all the help and suggestions so far!

at this point Im leaning to just buying the Sony 300's again, but with the warranty. I did this with my djing headphones and it is nice to trade them in every few years for a new pair.

alternatively Im looking at:
    -AKG K-81 DJ, but the plastic headband piece is one of the things I don't like on the Sony's so to spend more money and risk the same breakage is bothersome.
    -Sennheiser HD228's, but not sure if I like the foam without a cup on the earpiece, and the super thin cord is concerning.
    -the iFrogz look pretty dope but Im worried about a lack of sound quality.

gonna be at least another week before I even have time to go out and actually shop so keep the suggestions coming!

18. miller

miller TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

Technics RP-DJ 1210.

Great sound and super comfortable. Might be slightly more than what you want to spend but worth it IMO.

19. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

What about noise cancelling ones?

I currently buy the ones at The Source that are essentially headphones with ear plugs. You can't hear anything outside of them. Wouldn't mind hearnig about other options (not too pricey as they are used often and I'm hard on them)

20. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I've been using "Sony MDR-AS40EX Active Style Earphones" for a couple of years now. They are awesome, have great sound quality, being in ear they cancel out a lot of noise and the ear hooks are great for my active lifestyle, be it at the gym, inline skating, running or dancing on a street corner waiting for the light to change.

[​IMG]

The ear hook is real comfortable, and if someone starts talking to you, you can just take it out of your ears and leave it hooked over your ear and carry on a conversation without taking them off your head.

They aren't too expensive, I'm on my third pair in 4 years and cost ~ 50$

Specifications:
    ► Frequency response: 10Hz ~ 23kHz
    ► Nominal impedance: 16Ω
    ► Sensitivity: 100dB/mW
    ► Power handling: 100mW

21. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Nice find, have you tried the in ear from apple? Just curious how they sound in comparison.

22. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

[​IMG]
    Technical Specifications

• Frequency response: 5Hz to 21kHz
    • Impedance (at 100Hz): 23 ohms
    • Sensitivity (at 100Hz): 109 dB SPL/mW
    • Drivers: Custom two-way balanced armature (woofer and tweeter in each earpiece)
    Little different..

23. that 420 guy

that 420 guy TRIBE Member

i just grabbed a pair of urban ears plattan headphones and i'm impressed with the sound, the microphone and remote capabilities, the zound plug (extra plug so your friend can plug into your headphones and listen to the same beatz as you), and of course the solid colour sans logo is awesome.

[​IMG]

best headphones i've owned to date.

24. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I find that for me inner-ear is the only way to go. Over-ear simply bleed to much and if you want to listen to your music at a decent level in public, at work or in transit you will get cut-eye from those around you. Even ear buds have the same problem. But with inner ear phones with a proper seal so much of the sound is contained within your ear canal, and you also have your music at lower volume with the same perceived loudness, which is a good option for those of us worried about hearing loss.

I picked up a pair of Sennheiser CX-300's just under a year ago and through daily abuse and stuffing into pockets, they held up. Just about about a month ago, the insulation around the jack started to wear, so I just took them back into Bay Bloor and under the default warranty I walked out with a brand-new pair.

The sound in these is fantastic and even the pair of Denons that I had before which I thought were great, now sound awful in comparison.

I can't reccomend these enough.

[​IMG]

25. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

And don't get me started on all the buttheads in their silly skull candy phones. They look stupid, sound like shit and unless you're a 12 year old mallrat, they are totally inappropriate.