• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Good Authentic Pizza in Toronto

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
Thought I would start a thread on some good Pizza in Toronto. I managed to stumble upon this place today while searching for something better then your usual fast food crap. This place doesn't deliver but it's pretty close to me so I pick it up. It's called "Pizza e Pazzi", and I was very happy with what they sold me. They offer the Neapolitan pizza which is much tastier then your NA pizza people usually buy. However they also do make the more NA style of pizza as well.

Everything from the dough to the sauce and overall texture of this pizza will keep me coming back for some more.

about us

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I ordered from Dino's wood fired Pizza, which is around Queensway and Islington, and i was really good. Not greasy at all, loaded with topics, and thin crispy crust. We would order again. (we are trying out places by our new house)

Techdruid

TRIBE Member
I ordered from Dino's wood fired Pizza, which is around Queensway and Islington, and i was really good. Not greasy at all, loaded with topics, and thin crispy crust. We would order again. (we are trying out places by our new house)
^ Dino's? Seriously?? I'm by Queensway & Islington daily so will have to check that out!

However, on the hunt for real Napoli-style Margheritas... for those east on Queen, how's Queen Margherita Pizza-'Vera Pizza Napoletana'?

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
Via Mercanti in kensington is good and authentic.

IMO, the pizza at Famoso Neapolitan Pizzeria in the Annex is crappy and watery.

I am looking forward to Queen Margharita opening up near me. They have taken over a space at Dundas and Euclid.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i personally don't care. i just like my pizza to be tasty! but i know that people seem to have a specific love for that one kind of pizza
Neapolitan pizza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

in fact, i have a real spot in my heart for what i call ottawa pizza...really bready crust, sweet sauce, tons of pepperoni and ooey gooey cheese.
this is the kind of pizza you find at lots of pizza spots in ottawa - so far i haven't found it in toronto.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
I haven't had much luck finding good pizza in Toronto. I'll have to try some of the recommendations in here.

Best I've had is Pizza Amato on College at Bathurst. I had a slice of pepperoni and fresh garlic. Was really good except they went real light on the sauce.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
What makes a pizza authentic and is authentic better than "good"?
First step to a good authentic pizza is the pizza actually being cooked in a stove oven fueled by wood and natural gas.

Another thing that makes pizza authentic is the ingredients they use. Most NA pizza is made with different ingredients this is why most people are use to the fluffy big crust know here in NA.

The toppings for sure give away authentic pizza there is no such thing as crazy names like the Hawaiian pizza... no such thing in Italy. It's more of your simple but tasty ingredients like basil, boccocini and sauce.

Also getting the sauce down is key to any pizza but getting that sauce to taste like it came out of an Italian's kitchen is that hard part IMO of course.

Go to the place I suggested you will see and appreciate what good authentic pizza is, or you may already enjoyed on who knows lol. I can no longer enjoy fast food pizza after eating what I had yesterday.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
i personally don't care. i just like my pizza to be tasty! but i know that people seem to have a specific love for that one kind of pizza
Neapolitan pizza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

in fact, i have a real spot in my heart for what i call ottawa pizza...really bready crust, sweet sauce, tons of pepperoni and ooey gooey cheese.
this is the kind of pizza you find at lots of pizza spots in ottawa - so far i haven't found it in toronto.
This place is outside of Toronto more Richmond Hill but you might like this place called Dante's Pizza. The only place I've seen that gives you some serious toppings!!!

Home - Dante's - Vaughan, Ontario Canada

Illuminati

TRIBE Member
There are lots of good options in the city for both Naples and Roma style pizza's. Some are better than others but options either way.

Where Toronto really, really, really struggles in the New York style pizza slice and delivery. There is nothing here that even comes close to representing that here.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I finally caved as a traitor to the east end Queen Margherita and went to Libretto on Danforth. What a beautiful restaurant. Lively, packed, nicely lit, comfortable. It's a nice dining experience and just casual enough for the Danforth.

But decor and service can only do so much. Though it wasn't incredibly expensive as I thought it would be, the food was pretty awful. It wasn't inedible or anything but the meal and cocktail we had was really mediocre.

After a month in China where they actually take pizza and Italian food really seriously, I was pretty spoiled (google Henke or Pizza Milano). So returning and then having my first meal turn out to be the worst meal I've had in a month was really disappointing.

The pizza was burnt, soggy in some parts and kinda lifeless. I had just plain piping hot crust peppered with roasted garlic with a white bean butter and anchovy dip as a pre-app waiting for a table at an Italian restaurant in Shanghai that was 100x better than this pizza. We ordered an anchovy and garlic tomato pie. The anchovies were fine but nothing special and the sauce was flavourless. The garlic was really good but too cold. I was mostly annoyed by all the black crumbs from how burnt it was. They were everywhere. I've had real Naples pizza in Napoli and it was never burnt. I even went to where pizza was invented and though it was a little mediocre, it was still better than this pie. So they have a real Naples oven? Is that their shtick? If so, they're not using it properly.

The cocktail was tiny and dull. $9 for 2 sips. The apps were not great: warmed olives (alright except they didn't pit them properly and no garlic or herbs) and the gnocchi was literally a tiny plate of tater tots on filet o'fish sauce. I bit one in half to see what was in it and it was literally a dense undercooked tater tot.

Anyway, I'm not even gonna risk going back when Kevin's right, the Domino's down the street actually does a mean Brooklyn style pizza.

It's really frustrating as pizza isn't hard to find here but not one place has got it down. You can walk into any shithole in NYC that sells cheese slices for $2 and get one of the best piping hot slices ever. Why can't we have that here? It would make a killing.