• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Golfers of Tribe

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
1. Get lessons from a pro. They are much cheaper and a way better investment than a Taylormade r7. And you will be a better golfer.

2. Do the 'Weirsy Waggle'. Serioulsy. It works. It keeps the shaft of your club on plane during takeaway and leads to much straighter shots.

3. Get into a pre-shot routine. Take a few practice swings. Stand behind your ball, pick a target and walk up to the ball and hit it.

Kyle

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Tilt,

If you are good enough to play blades, you don't need any tips. They are by nature, extremely accurate and consistant, but very unforgiving.

I use the Taylormade RAC O/S irons and I love them. Very forgiving and incredibly long, even on mishits.

K.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
So I learned something last night :D

I've always had a problem with topping the ball when hitting chips and/or pitch shots. So after it got dark last night (we got to about 14 holes) my friend and I snuck over to the 3rd hole and decided to practice chipping and putting for a little while.
I asked him what I could do to stop from topping the ball and he suggested that I should aim about 2 inches or so in front of the ball instead of looking directly at it. Well, what the fuck do you know?? It worked!!! The next thing you know, I was playing these beautiful chip shots. I was getting nice air and a nice roll when the ball hit the green, and a lot of the shots that I played made it around the flag stick.
I can't wait to go back on the weekend :)

crave_e

TRIBE Member
Sleepy Giant has it right.

If you are serious about golf, take lessons.
I took lessons last year and it dramatically improved my game.

What I learned..
1) "Always try to break the tee" Even if you are in the fairway, pretend it is on a tee, and try to break it. It forces you to aim below the ball and you get more lift. Always make a divot.

2) When I started, I use to hold my golf club like a baseball bat. Hold the club with less pressure. Loose hands, loose arms..

3) Slow hand speed=faster head club speed.

4) Drive for show, putt for doe.
Putting is the easiest way to lower strokes, so practice!

When I started golfing 2 years ago I was all over the place..
115-120....now after a lot of practice and lessons I'm a 85-90 golfer, and having way more fun.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
Not only did I golf three times already this week (shooting an 84 on tuesday), but my new PING G2 irons arrived, and now to top it off, i got a job at the course where i'm a member...free golf for me all summer!

c.

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Has anyone played Winchester in Whitby?

I played it with my dad and brother when I was down last week. We were there around 4 pm on Friday and green fees were only $20 each.

I thought it was a great little course. A bit on the short side, but lots of elevation changes and tricky shots. It was in pretty good shape for that early in the season.

Kyle

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
my friend's dad is sponsored by Wilson and had a 3-page profile in Golf Magazine last month.

I went golfing with him and he taught me small things that drastically improved my swing.

1) Grip is almighty. Either interlocking or over-lapping. You don't see anybody on tour with a 10-finger baseball death grip. The tightness of your swing should be a 4/10 (0=open palm, 10=death grip). You should essentially be able to pull the club out of your hand if someone yanks really hard. If you think about it, when people death grip a club, they have to flexate their shoulders, arms, forearms, and then hands. This gives way to a lot of inconsistencies in your swing. The analogy to this is punching: when you punch someone, to get the most effective punch when you remain relaxed in the pull-back and forward-motion... the following through will be automatic because of your body's momentum.

2) Set up a station at the range everytime you go -promotes muscle memory so you can remember the "feel" of a proper swing.

Your Station:
  • take three clubs. situate 2 such that they point directly (in a straight line) to a tartget (one in front of you and one behind you (i.e. form a line). With the third club, put that club at the tip of your toes where your feet are most comfortable when in your stance. The most important part to this is ensuring that this third club is parallel to your first two clubs (i.e. your ball/club head path). Foundation (i.e. feet) are key. Foundation determines what direction the ball goes -only makes sense. If your feet aren't square, it only allows for a greater chance of an inconsistency.
  • in your back swing, using your large muscle groups (back and chest) make the club head follow straight back along the line of your club behind you (remember loose grip) until your hands are no more than hip-height. I pretend that I have a back-catcher behind the ball and I'm throwing the club right back into his glove. Once my arms are extended straight back along the back-line, all it is from here is your shoulders rotating around the axis of your spine (this is where the torque comes from)
  • naturally twist through and ensure that the club head is following back along the line of the club behind you and follows through the club line in front of you.

if you think about it, as long as your club head is following the clubs (i.e the line) while you're in the slot, you can't visciously slice or hook. Even if your hands are way off and your feet are horridly placed, as long as you follow the line, the worst you'll do is a fade/draw.

My game got a TON more consistent after practicing this. The goal of golf isn't so much to hit it far, but rather controlling the unknown variables for a more consistent swing and also knowing your distances. It's not about how accurate you are, but rather how controlled your misses are. This strategy will help you reduce your misses by allowing you to concentrate on control.

It breaks down the golf swing into something simple and managable. Makes sense, really.

with that said, everybody has their own thing... this may just happen to be mine, but my friend's dad taught this to myself, his son, and another friend and ever since then, all of our games have gotten way more consistent (I haven't sliced/hooked a shot yet).

hope that helps.

Last edited:

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
it's all about tempo.

let the club do the work, don't try to kill the ball.

Every swing I do a three count in my head to maintain a consistent tempo, one for the backswing, two for the follow through, my head comes up at three.

still waiting for my first round of the season, I tend to start late and finish late...time to hit the range though, get some swings in...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dicksherwood
it's all about tempo.

Every swing I do a three count in my head to maintain a consistent tempo, one for the backswing, two for the follow through, my head comes up at three.
I was watching lesson from the pros one day with Peter Jacobsen. He was teaching a guy trying to get him to think about tempo. Peter said do you like rock music? They guy said yes. Peter told him to say AC during his backswing and DC during the follow through.

The guy was a chump, but once he started doing that, it was like night and day.

DICK SPEAKS THE TRUTH!!!!

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
I was watching David Pelz last week and he was demonstrating the 80 yard shot 1/2 swing shot.. The tip that he used for rhythm was to say "sahhhh-wish" on the back swing and "swish" on the down swing.

sahhhh-wish, swish.. it really helped me at the range the other day

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry
I was watching David Pelz last week and he was demonstrating the 80 yard shot 1/2 swing shot..
I watched that too, the thing I took from it was even though you only take it back half or three-quarters, you must finish full to be accurate.

I never would have thought of that on my own.

Kyle

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Does anyone know of any good golf forums on the internet???

I've been reading the ones at golfdigest.com but they are a bitch to navigate... Is there something like tribe out there???

K.

Jagermathers

TRIBE Member
I really should be a much better golfer than I score. i think my temper is what gets me as I cannot let go of a bad shot.

I am only workin on 3 things right now in my swing:

1) Tempo
2) Swing Plane
3) Not reverse pivoting (smoooth weight transfer)

The Pelz shot is dope, I did not see it but the thing that I do is try with different clubs hitting full pitch shots where u limit yourself in the fact that u dont break your wrists. It allows great control and then with certain clubs, no matter how hard u swing, as long u dont skull, u know the exact distance u will go every time.

I use my Loft for under 100
PW for over 100
8iron for over 120

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Anyone have club recommendations?

I'm looking to buy this weekend and hopnig the price will come in under 300 or so.. My choices so far are:

1. a 10 year old set of Ben Hogan 'blades' for 120, irons only

2. Top Flite XL 2000 full set - 249 (nevada bob's is having a big sale)

3. Tommy armour 845cs Silverback, irons only - 269

I'm a beginner, but I'd like something that will last me as I get better and my handicap plummets (dreaming!)

thanks

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry

3. Tommy armour 845cs Silverback, irons only - 269
correction: There are 2 sets in the nevada bob's catalogue, the 845U is 8 pieces (irons only) and is 219.. the 845CS is 269 and it's irons and woods/driver

crave_e

TRIBE Member
IMO
Get the Tommy Armour Iron Only set.

I would stay away from the Hogans because playing with used sticks with 10 year old technology may be a disadvantage.

As a beginner start as cheap as you can, because eventually as your learn the game and your taste changes you will have to forklift your whole bag.

I started with cheap RAMS, with a noname driver.
After learning the game, I flipped my whole bag, new irons, new drivers, and as my game developed picked up wedges and woods as my skills improved.

Biggest mistake I made as a beginner, buying expensive golf balls. A new pack of Pro V1 hooks into the woods and lands in the drink the same way as a pack second hand golf balls.

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
845cs SilverBack Club Set

Player Profile: Serious players of all skill levels.

MPF: Super game improvement.

Product Availability: Right and left hand men's only. (3-SW)

Technology Features: The ultimate in cavity back performance in a cast golf club. Added stability while maintaining pro line workability in the short irons.

Player Benefits: All players benefit. Idea for many low to mid handicaps. Cavity back blade ensures more perimeter weighting with greater blade length, but with the traditional look for the player's eye.

Shaft Profile: Tour Step Platinum 845cs by True Temper.

Grip: Tommy Armour Lamkin Crossline.

Stirry,

I don't think these are the clubs for you. The scary word in there for me is blade, something a beginner wants nothing to do with. I'll check out the Topflite set.

K.

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Stirry check out this Tommy Armour link and thisTop Flite link.

I think that after reading those and re-reading your post, the irons I was looking at for my previous post are the wrong ones.

The Tommy Armour irons appear to be the better set on paper. The Top Flite irons should suit you well too. I'd go to the store and hit both sets and go with the one you like the most. You can pick up a oversized driver from Golftown for under $100. I was there a couple weeks ago, you could get a set of fairway woods for cheap too.

Good luck,

Kyle