• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

golf is not sport

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Lurker

TRIBE Member
It's a mildly athletic leisure activity, where the only excercise is the whole thing being an excercise in futility.

Chasing that stupid fucking white ball around....dammit

GO TO YOUR HOME!!!!!

adam.jpg

torontobarfly

TRIBE Member
and your reasons for saying it isn't a sport are.................<insert reason here>................ :D

if horse racing is a sport.....and auto racing is a sport(sorry paul)....golf is a sport

Last edited:

Lurker

TRIBE Member
torontobarfly said:
and your reasons for saying it isn't a sport are.................<insert reason here>................ :D

if horse racing is a sport.....and auto racing is a sport(sorry paul)....golf is a sport

lol horse racing is a sport for the horses and the cardiac case in the stands...

I guess I'll concede that auto-racing (NOT Nasscar!!) is a sport if you're going to be mean and lump it in with golf.

Though the only way golf is a sport is if there's excessive drinking involved during the round of golf.

torontobarfly

TRIBE Member
if i was going to become a professional athlete i think i'd get into darts....you can have a big mug of beer going while yer in the middle of a match...now that's a sport

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lurker

TRIBE Member
torontobarfly said:
if i was going to become a professional athlete i think i'd get into darts....you can have a big mug of beer going while yer in the middle of a match...now that's a sport

That's a sport when you count the inevitable bar brawl at the end of the drunken night :)

crazedcanuck

TRIBE Member
Golf is a sport IMO.

Any competition is a sport for the most part that includes some form of physical exertion.

Of course then you need to break it down into sub-groups dpending on the amount of athletic exterion, and competition.

Like how wrestling is "Sports Entertainment".

I think sport doesn't apply just to athletics, but to competition as a whole.

freshest1

TRIBE Member
crazedcanuck said:
Golf is a sport IMO.

Any competition is a sport for the most part that includes some form of physical exertion.

Of course then you need to break it down into sub-groups dpending on the amount of athletic exterion, and competition.

Like how wrestling is "Sports Entertainment".

I think sport doesn't apply just to athletics, but to competition as a whole.

so monopoly is now a sport? ha, you landed on my broadwalk with two hotels, that will be $3000, biznatch

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Oh its gotta be a sport.

The only place in the world where being pissed drunk and smoking at 11am is 100% accepted by high class schmucks....

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
maybe we need a "sportiness" rating system.

golf could be around a 3, bowling 2.5, tennis 8, hockey 8 (unless you're the goalie, then it's a 7.5), baseball player(5)/pitcher(4)/DH(3), poker 2, eating contests 2, etc...

kuba

TRIBE Member
torontobarfly said:

<insert reason here>

Golf is not a sport, to me, because it requires very little physical exertion. Any sport that has someoen (john daly) who is super fat, out of shape, couldn't run to save his life, and who can smoke a cigarette while hitting the ball 300+ yards, well, that doesn't count as "sport" to me.

Sport is defined as a physical activity, governed by rules. It's a very poor definition that needs changing.

The reason you see golf clips on "sportscentre" and others, is because there is no RAN (recreational activity network).

kuba

TRIBE Member
Liquidity said:

golf could be around a 3, bowling 2.5, tennis 8, hockey 8 (unless you're the goalie, then it's a 7.5), baseball player(5)/pitcher(4)/DH(3), poker 2, eating contests 2, etc...

poker is definetly not a sport. Not even close.

kuba

TRIBE Member
DJ 6 String said:
its considered a sport if your heart rate increases by 10% over resting (ie- sitting on the couch watching tv)
so by this definition, sex is a sport?

SJN

TRIBE Member
sport (n.)

1a) Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
1b)A particular form of this activity.
2)An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3)An active pastime; recreation.

As long as you subscribe to this definition, golf is a sport. End of story.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
Liquidity said:

(unless you're the goalie, then it's a 7.5)

wtf?? obviously you need to try playing a full 60 minute game between the pipes...you have to be mentally alert the entire game (no breaks on the bench to relax)...you need to be physically ready to handle the 100mph pucks being fired at you...and knowing that a single mistake more-often-than-not results in a goal, you have to be able to handle the pressure of being the last line of defence for your entire team...

but i also think golf is a sport, so what do i know...
c.

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
rudebwoy said:
wtf?? obviously you need to try playing a full 60 minute game between the pipes...you have to be mentally alert the entire game (no breaks on the bench to relax)...you need to be physically ready to handle the 100mph pucks being fired at you...and knowing that a single mistake more-often-than-not results in a goal, you have to be able to handle the pressure of being the last line of defence for your entire team...

but i also think golf is a sport, so what do i know...
c.

seems more in line with car racing... high reflexes and mental endurance. not as sporty as flying around the rink and making silky passes...

torontobarfly

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
<insert reason here>

Golf is not a sport, to me, because it requires very little physical exertion. Any sport that has someoen (john daly) who is super fat, out of shape, couldn't run to save his life, and who can smoke a cigarette while hitting the ball 300+ yards, well, that doesn't count as "sport" to me.

Sport is defined as a physical activity, governed by rules. It's a very poor definition that needs changing.

The reason you see golf clips on "sportscentre" and others, is because there is no RAN (recreational activity network).

not really sure if you can judge a sport by the physical shape of it's participants...in a recent study football was declaired as the sport having the most out of shape "athletes"...lots of fat guys in football who's only job is to make sure someone doesn't move 5 feet past them while they do their best to stand their ground....baseball has it's share of loads, wells,molina,jenks,fielder come to mind...even basketball has had some lards...remember oliver miller...shak just dropped 40 pounds and admitted he was out of shape all those years with the lakers...

as far as daly smoking while he plays, bodie miller skied while drunk and david wells has pitched drunk...more than a few hockey players have played after a snort of blow...

as far as golf, yes there are some fatties out there but if you look at the top players in the world rankings they all put in their time in the fitness trailer....golf might be a soft sport compared to others but it's still a sport and you'll have to come up with a better argument than a few beer bellies to convince me otherwise :D

SJN

TRIBE Member
Many athletes in other sports have stated that they believe that Tiger Woods is in the best shape of any athlete in any sport. The Tiger-effect has rubbed off on lots of other players -- as torontobarfly points out, these days almost every top golfer is in excellent physical shape. Players like John Daly are the exception, rather than the rule (Daly is a natural talent, who would probably be a dominating golfer if he ever gave a shit)

Last edited: