1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Goldman charged by SEC - Political?

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by atbell, Apr 28, 2010.

1. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

Way to busy these days, I wish I could write more of an opinion piece on this but as I tend to really get into those I'm just putting up a bit of what i've found.

Here are some links to Financial Times coverage of the case:

FT.com / Companies / Banks - Goldman denies ?bets against clients?

FT.com / Companies / Banks - Goldman?s aura of invincibility weakens

Goldman accused of subprime fraud
    FT.com / Companies / Banks - Goldman accused of subprime fraud

Goldman profited on shorts
    FT.com / Companies / Banks - Goldman profited on shorts

Goldman releases internal paper trail
    FT.com / Companies / Banks - Goldman releases internal paper trail

But here's the technical gold, the actual SEC public releases in the Goldman case:

Goldman, Sachs & Co. and Fabrice Tourre

http://www.sec.gov/litigation/complaints/2010/comp-pr2010-59.pdf

From the quick glance I've taken at all but the SEC stuff, GS looks to be on the moral and legal high ground. If I had access to some of the case documents I might change that opinion but ... well, I don't expect that to happen.

There is also a bit of a sub issue which has politicians using GS as an easy target to hang in order to gain populus cred.

At the end of the day I find this hard to come around to, despite my ire with 'investing' as it has been practiced of late.

GS lost money in most of the cases in question. Does this mean they are being charged because they didn't loose as much as everyone else?