• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

going travelling...and finding yourself

Soulster

TRIBE Member
The thought struck me this morning that my one year abroad in Australia (three years ago) gave me more perspective and life experience than I ever expected it to do. I never expected to "find myself" the way I did, but to this day I fully appreciate that it happened and even now, consistently draw from the unique outlook I had when I was there.

It seems to me that travelling allows people to gain perspective about their lives. Sometimes it's feeling like you've got nothing, and then seeing the stark contrast between your "nothing" and the folks in the much poorer country that you're visiting. Sometimes it's being away from home that allows you to see home differently simply because you're living outside of it. Sometimes it's just about getting away from all the stress at home and finding out what you're like when you have few cares and a relatively simple life, allowing you to fully enjoy what's going on around you...

If you've ever travelled (particularly long-term), what are the amazing things you realized about yourself, particularly in relation to the world around you?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

defazman

TRIBE Member
i'm heading to ottawa today, so I'll fill you in on what I learned about myself when i get back tomorrow night.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i learned that i can handle extreme heat and close proximity to feces/urine/rotten fruit.
i learned that i am more respectful than pretty much any scandinavian traveller ever.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Soulster said:
If you've ever travelled (particularly long-term), what are the amazing things you realized about yourself, particularly in relation to the world around you?

...that the longer you stand still the more short-sighted or complacent you become. When you surround yourself by concrete barriers and can only see as far as the next traffic light, you lose a literal and mental perspective.

At least travel, or even the view of a horizon that's not obscured by brown haze, helps keep a perspective on the bigger picture.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
hmmm... I discovered that 3 weeks is definitely not a long enough trip to "find onself" on. It can be hella fun, but not quite long enough for those life-reflecting experienced.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i think the whole 'finding yourself' shtick is more about putting yourself out there, in a place where you are uncomfortable and don't know the lay of the land. when people are out of their comfort zone, a lot of interesting stuff starts to bubble up. some people can take the pressure, some people can't.

so, lets say...you go to the UK for a week and everyone around you speaks the same language, you recognize the food, you know where to see the sights...thats probably not going to teach you much about yourself.
if you find yourself in a country where you don't speak the language, where tourism hasn't completely commodified everything around you, and you find that the train you were supposed to get on has left the station, and you're standing there with all your belongings, in the middle of the night, with nowhere to go and not enough money on you...those are the moments where you will likely learn something about yourself.

and its not always pretty.

Aleks

TRIBE Member
Booty Bits said:
i think the whole 'finding yourself' shtick is more about putting yourself out there, in a place where you are uncomfortable and don't know the lay of the land. when people are out of their comfort zone, a lot of interesting stuff starts to bubble up. some people can take the pressure, some people can't.

so, lets say...you go to the UK for a week and everyone around you speaks the same language, you recognize the food, you know where to see the sights...thats probably not going to teach you much about yourself.
if you find yourself in a country where you don't speak the language, where tourism hasn't completely commodified everything around you, and you find that the train you were supposed to get on has left the station, and you're standing there with all your belongings, in the middle of the night, with nowhere to go and not enough money on you...those are the moments where you will likely learn something about yourself.

and its not always pretty.

well said.

that has been true in my experience.

having said that, i can't wait to go somewhere exotic and get stranded. :D

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
I went travelling once.... thought I found myself too. It turns out it was just a shrub - apparently someone spiked my shotglasses with tequila.

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
I "find myself" every time I go to Europe, I come back all focused on life and full of ambition to achieve my goals. This lasts for about 2 week after which I fall back into this vicious circle of work-chill-work-party-work.

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
I enjoy vacations more than work.

What gift of perspective !

Last edited by a moderator:

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
hey tallboy, i was out for dinner with my dad this weekend for fathers day and i told him the story about when you were eating in that restaurant in europe somewhere and the kitchen caught on fire.

i think that would qualify as being out of your comfort zone!

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
Booty Bits said:
hey tallboy, i was out for dinner with my dad this weekend for fathers day and i told him the story about when you were eating in that restaurant in europe somewhere and the kitchen caught on fire.

i think that would qualify as being out of your comfort zone!

hahah yeah that was split, and I'm going back there in 3 weeks !

fortunately I'd finished the meal before the fire so it was all enjoyment watching them monkey around with it.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Deus said:
I've learnt that it is possible to live without the internet and television.

You can learn that at home too. I did... but what I really learned is I MUCH prefer TV and internet.

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
Traveling certainly changed my life.

I had never left North America until two years ago. I took my first trip and loved every moment of it (once I got over the initial terror I felt!). Soon, I found myself spending very little on daily life, saving the rest so that I could travel as much as possible...

And now I live overseas.

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
Booty Bits said:

I agree with you BB that going somewhere categorically different from where you are, or are from, will provide you with a much more intense and likely rapid learning experience. However, depending on what you need to learn, any travelling/living abroad experience can be a process of self-learning. My 1 year abroad in Australia was precisely this for me, not because of the cultural difference (of which there was little ;)) but because of my lack of true life experiences to date ... living alone, realizing that I was responsible for my actions, my present and future happiness, that I didn't have to follow the direction set out for me by my parents expectations, learning that I could create and recreate myself in any moment ... and then finding out who I really wanted to be and becoming comfortable with that.

Sure I could have done this by moving away from my home city, but this is precisely the point. Any change in your environment will result in a change in you, if you are open to that change.

Change what you see and the things that you see will change

Hypnotic

TRIBE Member
After returning to Canada after travelling overseas a couple of years ago I can honestly say things have never been the same. I've sort of been stuck with this chronic "travel bug". Since returning I've always felt ripped off in a sense, living here after getting an idea of what's out there. You only need to take a glance in the picture thread once and a while to get a scant idea of this. It also helped me to evaluate what it is I really wanted to do with my life. Like, should I stay here and continue to accumulate more and more material goods or would I be happier trading it all in for an opportunity to impact the world in a postive way, even if I have nothing at the end of the day....Anyway, my travels influenced my life to the extent where quit a well paying 9-5 office job and returned to school to find a career (nursing) that will provide endless opportunity for travelling and fulfil my desire to actually help people. I finish my degree next year and needless to say I'm so outta here once its over.:)

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
^^^
agreed, except substitute 'returning to school' to 'returning to and finding a job I really enjoy'.

the travel & adventure bug will never die.

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
stargurl* said:
Traveling certainly changed my life.

I had never left North America until two years ago. I took my first trip and loved every moment of it (once I got over the initial terror I felt!). Soon, I found myself spending very little on daily life, saving the rest so that I could travel as much as possible...

And now I live overseas.

change 2 years to 3 years and hey - me too :)

anyway, i think this whole 'travelling and finding yourself' thing is a bit overrated (or perhaps overstated?) i had a friend who once said 'natalie...don't go finding yourself abroad, you didn't lose yourself there.'

a small minority of people that i've encountered who are perpetual travellers are actually trying to escape responsibility or are doing it for other motivational reasons than understanding their place in the universe.

that said, there is a tremendous amount of satisfaction in negotiating a foreign country without being able to speak the language fluently. i think that feeling is amplified more so when you've spent a significant amount of time somewhere, long enough to establish yourself and overcome various obstacles.

it's a great experience, but not for everyone. it just facillitates that sense of self-awareness because you're in new surroundings - sometimes finding a new job, living alone, or finding a new love interest can all have a similar impact.

deep

TRIBE Member
Rant:

I find traveller's condescension to be gross. E.G. Someone who does the cliched post graduation european trip coming back with the attitude of Lewis and Clark. Kudos for going on a Travelcuts package trip that made ya a little less ignorant about the world or yourself, but it's not the only way that perspective can be gained or the only place you're forced to solve unanticipated problems. A trip is still on some level a vacation that is enjoyed and personally decided. The toughest circumstances usually don't have those characteristics.

I think innately there's just some association for me that smacks of running from a fight and coming back to talk of how much of a better person they are for doing so.

...anyways..

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
deep said:
I think innately there's just some association for me that smacks of running from a fight and coming back to talk of how much of a better person they are for doing so.

??