1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Going to South Korea....... Any tips?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by <FresHFunK>, Apr 12, 2010.

1. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

Getting deported tomorrow morning to South Korea for a work stint. I have a feeling that I am going to stick out like a sore thumb. I don't know any korean and I am going to be in Gyeangju.

What are somethings that a 6'4 white boy from the burbs should do, or shouldn't do, so I don't end up in some korean jail!

2. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

wear a niqab!
  3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Go play Starcraft somewhere! You might even be able to earn money at it if you're good enough.
  4. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Get the office workers there to take you to a Karaoke. It's not like Karaoke here (which they call Norebang).
  5. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

find Boss Hog.
  6. TRO

TRO TRIBE Member

7. TRO

TRO TRIBE Member

tap some hot korean bitches

you'll be like godzilla for them...take me with you!
  8. Vote_4_Pedro

Vote_4_Pedro TRIBE Member

Honest man -if you are hetero, you better stock up on condoms. Korean women are going to devour you! Enjoy it.

(I lived in Seoul, my liver took a beating and the woman were quite friendly)
  9. dstarr

dstarr TRIBE Member

I lived in Daegu and had to look up where you are.... so I think you are kinda in the middle of nowhere... It might where the awesome buddhist temples are so enjoy those for sure.

Other than that, get to a big city to party... most likely the best one for you is Busan. Busan is a really good time.

Of course, get into some soju... and try to enjoy the food... watch anything that is bright red because that will often mean it is spicey and they like spicey there... so watch the kimchi.
  10. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Generally act like a belligerent G.I. on 24-hour leave.
  11. Claytonne

Claytonne TRIBE Member

Have a good trip bro!
  12. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

13. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

In Vancouver now waiting for the next flight.
    Thanks for the advice, and I will try and update the Korean Invasion as it occurs. I am not sure how to put pics up on here, so if anyone knows, shoot me the lowdown.
  14. 2canplay

2canplay TRIBE Member

Agreed. And make sure you where your USAF baseball cap; that reference always brings back fond memories for all the old Asians.
  15. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

Well after two days here, I must say that the drivers are crazy and when they put there hazard lights on, it's anyones guess as to what they are going to do.
  16. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

Where are you, Seoul?
    My brother is living in Ulsan. He's been there since August and has traveled around a fair bit. I can ask him for some tips if you want.
    I know there's some mad indoor amusement park and mall in Seoul that has a gun range on the third floor.
  17. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

I am 45 minutes outside of Ulsan, and there are gun ranges everywhere here. Trigger happy I guess you could say.
  18. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Insist on being served a Philly cheesesteak sandwich at every restaurant that you visit.
  19. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Freshfunk: how are the chicks?
  20. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

Well This place is different! Had one chick ask to see my hand at a bar. She put her hand on mine and freaked out. Started telling me that I was evil, giving me the devil horns and hissing at me? I got all wierded out, I guess if you have big mits they freak right out. Most of the people here are super friendly and think if your white, your American. I have to explain that I am Canadian several times and that I am not in the military before they figure it out.

Went and checked out this 1300 year old Buddha on top of a mountain. Really cool temples and shit around here. Climbed the mountain to go see the buddha instead of taking the bus up the 4km hill (what a dumbass). I would highly recommend checking out Gyeong-Ju. The Cherry Blossoms are everywhere and in full bloom. Really pricey tho in this tourist trap but the 4 wheelin in the river bed and shooting ranges every where looks like fun times.

The food here is just "out there." Seafood surprise is the norm over here but really cheap if your in town. 8000 won($8) is a huge lunch and dinner is about the same. I would have to say that this country is pretty advanced, compaired to what I was expecting, and shit ain't any cheaper here then back home. I have a lot of friends who are here working with me and apparently "The best part about Korea is Thailand". I guess if your over here you have to make it to Thailand. Cheap everything and anything goes. I would like to make the stop on the way home, but we will see what happens.

In the past two days there has been tons of military activity where I am at. I am assuming that with the North Blowing the South's ship in half has kinda pissed some peeps off. I am sure the Yanks are helping to push for an invasion of the North. We were driving into work yesterday and there was two groups of Tanks running down the river bed, 21 tanks in total real close to the nuke plant. I am kinda getting nervous about that shit.

Anyways, I will pop some more intel in here in a couple of days, Let me know if anybody has the inside info on when the shit is going to hit the fan with the North! I wanna be outta here prior to those commy fucks pushing the button. :eek:
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  21. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

Train Info for travelers.

korail.com Train info and bus scheduals. The system here is pretty hi-tech compaired to our glorious GO transit. It actually makes the go look like a joke.

Things seemed to have settled down a bit with the Military activities. Thank god. Heading to Busan (Pusan) tonight for a B-Day bender. Details Later!
  22. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Wait til you ride the subway in Seoul. That's how you build and manage a subway. The fact you can use your cellphones on the trains is such a huge plus.
  23. JAR

JAR TRIBE Member

That's not unique to Seoul - Beijing, Shanghai, HK, Bangkok all have wireless access. I'd be willing to bet every Asian subway system does. The TTC is so fucking antiquated.
  24. erika

erika TRIBE Member

it's not just asia - people were texting, calling and typing on the metro when I was in Paris.
  25. Blue Meanies

Blue Meanies TRIBE Member

Taiwan also has wireless cell / internet access on our metro :)