1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

going to chicago:need guidance

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by videotronic, Mar 22, 2010.

1. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

going to chicago this weekend and, while i have flown through a million and two times, i have never actually been in the city itself. looking for some recommendations of fun things to do/places to eat etc.

suggestions are appreciated both for over-the-top, "touristy" type spots and other spots which aren't, but are must-see anyway

would like suggestions for:steak, italian food, best pizza in town, etc

2. bitchass

bitchass TRIBE Member

Lineups, wait times and security are over the top for the Sears Tower but its cheap, easy and there are just as many rooftop pools to peek on from the Hancock Building.

3. futronic

futronic TRIBE Member

Go to the Modern Wing at the Art Institute of Chicago.

If you have a car, drive north to Hot Doug's for amazing sausages and duck fat fries (Friday/Saturday only). Expect a very long line!

-- Jay aka Fut

4. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Guidance is pretty easy to find *in* Chicago...

[​IMG]

5. xopus

xopus TRIBE Member

Giordano's Pizza. Deep dish at its finest.

6. moose-meat

moose-meat TRIBE Member

Rush and Division St. area used to be crammed with bars and clubs.
    Have not been in 10 years so this may have changed.

Its a great city for architecture.
    Hopefully you get some nice sunny weather and can walk around a lot.
    The Magnificent Mile is all about the hi end shopping. [ Michigan Ave. ]

My next trip will be late summer so I can do the Cubs/Bears game combo.

Say hello to Oprah and Ferris.

7. Illuminati

Illuminati TRIBE Member

Chicago isn't really a destination for steak these days. You can find one, but it isn't any thing you can't find anywhere else.

For pizza, either Burt's Place or Pequod's. Of course this is a widely argued debate amongst the locals.

Italian? Again, not unique to Chicago. That being said you must have an Italian beef sandwich while you are there.

Hit one of Rick Bayless' places. Either Topolo or Frontera for his take on Mexican Food. He and Diana Kennedy are widely regarded as the foremost authorities on contemporary Mexican food in North America. He also has a place called XOCO, which is his take on Mexican street food. Lots of great soups and sandwiches there.

Hot Doug's Encased Meat Emporium. Nuff said.

Mercat, for some of the best spanish food in America.

Paul Kahan is another Chef who has been doing amazing things in Chicago for sometime. He has three spots Blackbird, Avec and The Publican. Blackbird is the more 'high-end' contemporary spot. Avec is a bustling communal type place with a big focus on local, seasonal and honest cooking. The Publican is his 'gastro-pub'. A great beer selection with lots of sharing-style plates ie oysters, charcuterieet al.

For the more avant-cuisine there is Alinea, Moto and L20. All three are doing great things respectively, if that's your thing.

8. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

thats wicked! thank you. the publican is already on our list, as is XOCO.

9. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

re: going to chicago:need guidance

go southwest

10. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

Hot Dougs looks amazing, but how about this hot dog spot?

if I ever make it to my 2nd Mecca (NY is first) I will mosdef be hitting this jawn up!

11. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

Looking for guidance in Chicago. Is that like going to Toronto and looking for somewhere to crash.

12. sub4

sub4 TRIBE Member

walk/blade/bike the waterfront. including navy pier.

13. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Hit Garrett's Popcorn Shop...I've heard there are 2 hour lineups to get it some days.

Lobo

14. Sunshyne Jones

Sunshyne Jones TRIBE Member

Illuminati wrote "Chicago isn't really a destination for steak these days. You can find one, but it isn't any thing you can't find anywhere else." but I disagree -- loved this steak house above all others I've been to. Expect humongous portions and wonderful service. (caveat: it has been several years since I have been there.)

Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse

I love the Johnny Rockets retro diners:

Johnny Rockets

Train from the airport takes you right downtown.
    People are friendly.
    Go to some random blues bar for some live music.
    I'm not a deep dish pizza fan so can't help you there.
    I liked just checking out Millenium Park.

15. Illuminati

Illuminati TRIBE Member

Again, didn't say you can't find steak in Chicago. I also stand by my point that it's not a destination for steak because it's not.

Steakhouses are a waste of time in Chicago or any other city for that matter.

Johnny Rockets is a bullshit, cliche-chain, shitty representation of what a real diner is all about. They have about as much charm as the toilets in The Comfort Zone have. Also, there is one at Yonge and Dundas Square and guess what? It's shit!

16. jared k

jared k TRIBE Member

17. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

whoa what a weekend. such amazing food...urrgh. i could have stayed for a month and not gotten bored.

went to publican friday night and was blown away. great ambiance, great beer, even better food. we loved the big long communal tables and the art, which consisted of paintings of pigs hahaha

we had a tasting plate of 3 types of cured ham, smoked char and then the pork belly, which was possibly the best tasting thing i have ever eaten in my 31 years on this planet. words cant even describe what this was like, so i wont even try. we had some nice cheese for dessert and then went out to 4 or 5 lounges, pubs, bars and ending up at blue chicago, a very authentic looking little blues bar near out hotel..just the house band from the looks of it, but they were really belting it out, playing a mix of blues, funk and disco.

saturday we did the boat tour and took a few memory cards worth of photos. did some shopping and then met up with a cousin i havent seen in like 15 years for some drinks at the thompson hotels property there, called Sax. went to a few other little places for a drink each after, and then ended up at avec for a late dinner, where my mind was also sufficiently blown by the food. we had chorizo-stuffed bacon wrapped dates to start, then some seared red snapper and then the most amazing pork shoulder...mmmm. my mouth is literally watering as i think about it while typing this. after that we wandered hopping from bar to bar until settling down at a jazz club down the street from our hotel where i was finally able to get the martini was after all weekend (it seems americans cant make a decent martini, what up with that?)

all in all it seems that chicago=the home of nice buildings and not a good place to live if you are a pig hahaha. thank you to all who recommended things in this thread

18. Sunshyne Jones

Sunshyne Jones TRIBE Member

guess what? you're a douche.

19. juice

juice TRIBE Member

Did you go to Alinea recently? What did you think of it? We're booked for their 24 course tasting menu while there over the May long weekend. I like food and all but is it just crazy over the top?

20. Illuminati

Illuminati TRIBE Member

I haven't been. The whole molecular movement doesn't really get my gears turning all that much. Plus, I don't think I could bear sitting in that type of ostentatious environment for 4+ hours. I totally get the attraction to places like Alinea, El Bulli, The Fat Duck et al. but I couldn't really justify (or envision enjoying) a meal at that cost considering how amazing you could feast in Chicago for 3 days for the price of food+wine+taxes+tip at Alinea.