• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

going to australia

redeyes

TRIBE Member
has anyone ever been??

i'm going to australia for my honeymoon for 3 weeks in august. we will be starting in sydney and working our way north along the coast.

anybody have any suggestions or helpful hints?

peace

Adam

TRIBE Member
How were you planning on travelling? I just read a story about the high speed rail link they just opened recently that goes from the North to the South coasts.

Vote Quimby might know, he's moving there in the near future. I'm going travelling there for a few months come winter.

Post pics!

redeyes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Adam
How were you planning on travelling? I just read a story about the high speed rail link they just opened recently that goes from the North to the South coasts.

i wish i knew about that sooner. we are taking a couple of short flights within australia. we are spending most of our time in sydney, brisbane, and cairns.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Adam
Vote Quimby might know, he's moving there in the near future. I'm going travelling there for a few months come winter.

Post pics!
I know nuthing yet. I'm just going to show up in Sydney and go from there.

Well, I do know that ALL snakes in Oz are poisonous.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

redeyes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
go surfing

beware of sharks, snakes, spiders, and kangaroos
i plan going surfing. i'm actually staying in a surfer town for a couple of days.

you for forgot the infamous box jelly fish on you list. they are actually the most poisonous creature on earth.

peace

Tonedeff

TRIBE Member
go to Byron Bay (it's in northern NSW) and if you get a chance hit up one the islands along the reef (Dunk Island par exemple)...I would avoid most of the Gold Coast, the surfing is just as good elsewhere.

Tonedeff

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by redeyes
i wish i knew about that sooner. we are taking a couple of short flights within australia. we are spending most of our time in sydney, brisbane, and cairns.
flying is probably still the way to go unless you have lost of time....cairns is pretty cool, kind of like an old west frontier town in oz.

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
If you go to Byron make sure you hit up Fraser Island. Its a bit touristy, but there is so much unique natural beauty there. ie Sand Island with a rainforest on it and water you can drink from the creeks. The goldcoast has some nice beaches! Beautiful blue water with white sand.

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
I lived in Sydney/Australia for 8 months - and have loads of stories and advice. However now is not the time ... I'll come back and share later on tonight.

Or redeyes, PM me with any more specific questions you may have. I think I've been to all of Sydney's beaches so I can definitely give you a good run down. That and their wineries, surf-shops, restaurants, local sightseeing and more ;)

L

redeyes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by wayne bradbury
If you go to Byron make sure you hit up Fraser Island. Its a bit touristy, but there is so much unique natural beauty there. ie Sand Island with a rainforest on it and water you can drink from the creeks. The goldcoast has some nice beaches! Beautiful blue water with white sand.
i'm actually camping on fraser island for a couple of nights.

thanks for the advice everyone, the Doctor, i'm going to PM you tonight.

peace

AlyG

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
i also loved the 3 Sisters.
Katoomba! My family lives there. I was there one day showing a friend around and you literally couldn't see the Three Sisters through the fog. I had to explain the vast scenery before us!

We brought her back the next day.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
don't know how far north you'll get but i recommend some of the following that haven't been mentioned:
diving from Cairns or thereabouts
Airlie Beach, sailing in the Whitsundays
Sunshine & Gold coast beaches
Kioma lookout/blowhole (1.5 hrs south of Sydney, but worth the drive)
I didn't do Hunter Valley (wine tours)

AlyG

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by the Doctor
I think I've been to all of Sydney's beaches

I'm partial to Coogee, but totally biased. My father was born there!

redeyes, do the Coogee to Byron walk as soon as you get there. It's a gorgeous pathway along the beaches and cliffs of south Sydney.

The weather will get better as you head north, as it's winter over there. For info on issues, weather etc. go to the Sydney Morning Herald site
SMH Site

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
I know nuthing yet. I'm just going to show up in Sydney and go from there.
well myself, my dog Sydney and Ian (not my brother- the other ian :p) will be coming down to Sydney hopefully sometime next year so we'll be knocking on your door and begging for food!

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Highlights of my Australia trip a couple of years ago:

Melbourne - Penguin Parade

[

Melbourne - Great Ocean Road

Fraser Island

Sail through the Whitsunday Islands

stryker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~Loress~
well myself, my dog Sydney and Ian (not my brother- the other ian :p) will be coming down to Sydney hopefully sometime next year so we'll be knocking on your door and begging for food!
I don't know about bringing your dog with you because Autralia has strict quarantine rules. You might have to leave your dog in a quarantine for something like 6 week before you can bring him into the country. but i'm not 100% on this.

Stew

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i think going to the Barossa valley would be a really fun thing to do on your honeymoon. i was underage when i was there and i still enjoyed it.

and the penguins are awesome!
go to kangaroo island!

i was like, 15 when i went to australia, so i was really into the animals and scenery. heh.

smokeyeyes

TRIBE Member
awesome redeye! that's exactly what darryl and i did for our honeymoon - 3 weeks in Oz. dream vacation!

we did the same thing you'll be doing - started out in Sydney and travelled north from there.

1 week Sydney, 5 days Brisbane and surrounding area (we have a friend there we visited), then up north to Cairnes.

We stayed in Bondi in Sydney and loved it. in fact, we really enjoyed Sydney as a city. Took a trip to the Blue Mountains as well while we were there, where we visited Katoomba and the Three Sisters.

Brisbane - only one day in the city (that's all you need). Then Moreton Island (stunning beach), Sunshine Coast, Lamington National Rainforest.

Cairnes - gateway to the reef. Definintely go diving and snorkelling out on the reef! We also visited Port Douglas, which is a quaint little rich town on the coast. Mossman Gorge.
Go to Cape Tribulation - Daintree Rainforest. OMG. Stunning. Cape Trib is where the tropical rainforest meets the coral reef - quite literally.

Best trip ever - not only b/c it was our honeymoon but the country is just stunning.
My only complaint: it should have been 3 months i/o 3 weeks!!

I should really get around to posting some pics.

You may want to take a couple of days and hit Fraser Island - it's a sand island, the world's largest, and a nature reserve. You'll either have to hike for a couple of days or rent a 4WD for the island. Apparently stunningly beautiful (we didn't have the time to fit it in).
Whitsunday Islands are also beautiful -- really anywhere off the coast of Queensland is, between the rainforests and the reef.

Wherever you go, I'm sure you're going to love your trip :)