• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Going rate for magazine articles?

AdamAnt

TRIBE Member
I've just sold my first magazine article to a new start up magazine which will be published in Feb.

It's my first article. It's about 1500 words. And they want to know how much I want for it. They also want to know how much I want for a monthly salary. I'll be writing an article a month. WIth a feature article every 3 months.

How much do I charge for the article? And how much do I ask for salary?

(It's a food section position)

~Thanks.

sugar

TRIBE Member
I got a dollar per word for a magazine I wrote for occasionally, but that is a lot higher than most magazines pay.

Newspapers typically pay around $0.50 per word, for example.

I'm suprised they didn't tell you how much they pay at the outset.

Cho

TRIBE Member
If you think about it you should prolly just do it for free, I worked for a up start entertainment mag and we had writers that worked just for the credentials. Writers are a dime a dozen to the publishing world, get what you can but don't ask for much.

AdamAnt

TRIBE Member
I realize that publishing is payment in itself, but I think I'll ask for some money since he asked me too! ;)

I have to remember this is a start up mag.

Is $500 too much?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
yes.

500 bones is steep.

well depending, is this a venture that is backed up by some serious capital? is it a part of a larger conglomerate?

what writing have you done to deserve the $500?

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
$500 is not too steep.

You should be asking for $750 - fifty cents a word is fair.
It's not your concern what kind of business model they have in place, you put in the toil.

and next time, you should probably est. this up front as well as if there are any expenses involved (long distance calls, mileage, etc).

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
alright is this a fucking restaurant review or are you inventing a new kind souffle and travelling around the world researching it?

DJAlchemy

TRIBE Promoter
out of my curiosoty, how would one go about appropriately requesting the determind fee? Phrasing? Etiquette? Is there a way of asking that would have better results?

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
"how much do you want"?

that's strange... tell them to make an offer... companies do that on purpose to new contract employees so that they will lowball themselves and then they have nobody to blame but themselves for shitty pay. just go with industry standard.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Adam
Congrats Adam.

Thank you for doing our people proud.
do you mean the almighty Adams? yes.. good job making such a handsome and intelligent group of people so proud!

Bumbaclat aka Adam

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders