• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Going legit on recording software

praktik

TRIBE Member
Had another great set mangled by not following simple protocol and saving my mix in one file right away, then making a copy and editing THAT - sometimes soundforge just freezes a bit during a save i start after a lot of edits without saving for a while and then comes back and Im missing chunks of the mix.

So pretty sure this is a soundforge issue - I've had it happen on two different internal hard drives. Im using a cracked copy.

Was going to buy it new, then saw the price.

I have m-powered sound cards and was always thinking about Pro Tools. Then I saw the price.

Are there ever any deals on Pro Tools anywhere? If I'm patient, can I get a 50% off sale some day, and where should I go to keep an eye on such sales?

My needs right now are minimal: just want straight recording from analog tables and then the features needed to clean up the sound a bit after.

Down the road I might need more if I decide to try my hand at production again (and I think I will) - so I guess my other question is buying a licensed copy of Pro Tools will give me a cheap upgrade path wont it?

Also: any users of cracked versions of Pro Tools out there have issues? Are the copies reliable? I would like to at least try it out before I decide to drop hundreds on software.

Deus

TRIBE Member
If you think legit copies of audio software are more stable than cracks then you're going to be disappointed when you spend a shitload on them.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Pro tools or Soundforge might be overkill for what you are doing. Why not use something like Audacity?

praktik

TRIBE Member
ya def overkill for right now.

Though I do like the fine grain of control I get with soundforge, i'm only using a small % of it.. but there are some cool things there... hmmm maybe I'll give audacity a try and see how it works.. consider going legit if I dig it EDIT: I see it is already legit and free..;)

thanks for the reality check guys (yeah Deus you're probably right..;)

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
ya def overkill for right now.

Though I do like the fine grain of control I get with soundforge, i'm only using a small % of it.. but there are some cool things there... hmmm maybe I'll give audacity a try and see how it works.. consider going legit if I dig it EDIT: I see it is already legit and free..;)

thanks for the reality check guys (yeah Deus you're probably right..;)
Deus is right! And sometimes its our own mistakes that can crash a project, because let's face it we don't know everything. I've stopped holding software guilty until proven innocent - and I've learned a lot of mistakes I was making.

I think you should to crazy and just purchase Pro Tools (if that's the daw you've decided on 100%) because eventually your wallet will absorb the price! You still have to drop by some time to jam

Mrs. Pink

TRIBE Member
going legit is really the best way to go....my only gripe is....upgrades. I pruchased ableton 7 about a year and a half ago, and it wasn't cheap.....soundcard to go with it, hardware synths.....not cheap.....monitors, not cheap....went and purchased my apc20, and it wasn't compatible with 7 (totally dumb and a cash grab by ableton) so i thought my only option was to pay the $200 and upgrade to 8....which isn't a total bad thing...some great updates.....but with all the gear i buy, it get's super expensive....to shell out money to upgrade my software sucks when i know i could just crack it elsewhere......but.....i like to know i have nothing to worry about and if anything fucks up i have ableton to support me.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Deus is right! And sometimes its our own mistakes that can crash a project, because let's face it we don't know everything. I've stopped holding software guilty until proven innocent - and I've learned a lot of mistakes I was making.

I think you should to crazy and just purchase Pro Tools (if that's the daw you've decided on 100%) because eventually your wallet will absorb the price! You still have to drop by some time to jam
Shit man you're right - I totally forgot!

PM me yo

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
I agree with Mrs. Pink that it can be frustrating at times, but it's really worth it. I often don't get in a situation where I have to upgrade anything, but sometimes it's hard to resist when you know a new version is out. For cubase I stopped at v4 though.

BTW some programs are definitely more unstable as a crack, especially something like cubase which has to use a dongle emulator in order to run

Last edited:

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
Put it this way: With any recording software you are looking at, you've probably spent that amount on worse shit. I know I have.

Cubase? Yea, I cost me $400+, but whatever. I've gone nights out on drunken rampages that have cost me much more - and at least with cubase I still have something to show for it. Can't say that from the piles of empty gin and whisky bottles in my kitchen.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Audacity is $50 and free upgrades for life... I have messed with it for a bit and for what it offers you can't go wrong... ProTools is overrated...