• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

gmail's new interface and google talk

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Google Talk might actually take off because of this new interface! Looks slick so far - when you log into gmail.com you can now set it so that you are available/away for chats to your contact list. Theres a "web 2.0" style menu bar on the left that shows you who is logged in/out and chat logs get saved and are searchable in the future (you can turn this option off too).

This finally gives people a reason to switch from MSN - especially those who are forced to use web clients - but of course you still can't talk from Google to MSN. Still, this will get more people logged onto the network for sure.

Invites for gmail are pretty much a dime a dozen these days but if someone is still interested let me know.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
I don't use gmail as my primary account and tonight realised that its been totally upgraded over the past while (not sure how long its been) but its much more customisable than I remember it, and the contact manager is much better than before.

I do use m.gmail.com on my blackberry browser all the time though!

jw

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bitchass

I do use m.gmail.com on my blackberry browser all the time though!
you can also use google's forwarding or pop3 over ssl services to push/pull to your BlackBerry webclient account.

This way, you're not required to login to their wap interface..

jW

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
google talk <--> msn would be pretty killer
probably will never happen because of how much of a demographic / advertising goldmine a messaging network's user base is. currently the third party IM's like miranda and trillian represent a very small percentage of any specific network, so they haven't cared too much about allowing access to them. but highly unlikely that they'd let a competitor's product access their network and userbase, improving the value of the competitors IM

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by jw
you can also use google's forwarding or pop3 over ssl services to push/pull to your BlackBerry webclient account.

This way, you're not required to login to their wap interface..

jW
Yes, I used to use that but my gmail address is my generic spam account and for staying at least partially anon. I found forwarding my gmail or using POP3 to be a pain because it didn't mark my messages as read for the next time I logged in. My blackberry is on Telus' highspeed EVDO network so using m.gmail.com is as fast (or even faster) than using a regular PC