• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Gluten

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member

This is quite the rude wake up call for me.

I had no idea what to put for the thread title, my eyes are just about to close on me.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I've been gluten free and dairy free since the end of October.. and it's amazing. I feel great, my moods have increased. I am not depressed anymore.. My digestive issues are great. Best decision ever!

p.s.. you should read WHEAT BELLY.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Wheat Belly is 90% bullshit, as is all this fanatical paleo nonsense. Anyone who believes that at any point in time humans were perfectly adapted to their environment has another thing coming. Further, the world is huge and history is full of myriad civilizations subsisting on nearly infinite variations of diets many of which included wheat.

Sure, wheat is a sugar and we ingest way too much sugar so cutting that back can be a good thing! But those that line behind these diets as some sort of return to our 'natural state' are ignoring so much history, evolutionary biology and behavioural psychology that's it is infuriating.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I've been gluten free and dairy free since the end of October.. and it's amazing. I feel great, my moods have increased. I am not depressed anymore.. My digestive issues are great. Best decision ever!

p.s.. you should read WHEAT BELLY.
That's inspiring! Dairy will be a tough one for me, esp now that I've started drinking eggnogg. Oh man, no eggs at all, eh?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
That's inspiring! Dairy will be a tough one for me, esp now that I've started drinking eggnogg. Oh man, no eggs at all, eh?
there are some great tasting recipes for eggless /dairy free nog, I remember trying one that was just made with cashews nutmeg and a couple of other things.. yum!

Jay

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Wheat Belly is 90% bullshit...
I thought the same way as you. I'm concerned now, after I seeing I fit some of the symptoms.

Dietitians Fed Up With Gluten-Free Claims | White Coat, Black Art with Dr. Brian Goldman | CBC Radio
Thanks to books like David Perlmutter's Grain Brain and William Davis' Wheat Belly, the gluten-free food market is a multi-billion-dollar industry.

Some so-called experts are painting gluten as a bad boy of the food world that supposedly causes obesity, Alzheimers, heart disease. It may sound like a staggering claim, but the public is eating it up. Gluten-free books are flying off the shelves. Gluten-free trade expos are bring in mobs of people.

Registered Dietitians find the anti-gluten media coverage hard to swallow. In this web-only feature interview, Dr. Brian Goldman talks to Kate Comeau, a Montreal-based registered dietitian who works for Dietitians of Canada. She's frustrated by clients with an appetite for all things gluten-free when in reality less than ten-percent of the population actually benefits from removing gluten from their diet.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
This has been debunked a thousand times over.

There is no such thing as a gluten allergy.

It is called Celiac Disease which impacts less than 5% of the CDN population.

About Celiac Disease

Are you being tested for Celiac? Are they doing a biopsy of our Small intestine?

My brother has Celiac and was diagnosed at age 7. I remember he had to eat bread that came in a can back in the 80's.

I go nuts when people say they have a gluten allergy or sensitivity and have never been tested or their doctor mentioned something in passing. It seems to be a fad right now.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Egg free and dairy free? I could never even contemplate this! I eat 3-4 eggs most days and eat cottage cheese or Greek yogurt almost daily.

By the way, I feel great.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
What about for breakfast? I love omelettes.
On my rest days I make smoothies (1 cup almond milk, 50g berries, 1 scoop protein powder) and on the side 40g gluten free oatmeal.. and when i train i have a protein pancake.. 6 egg whites, 1 egg, 40g gluten free oatmeal and 50g berries with 1 tsp cinnamon and a packet of stevia :)

super good!

I eat gluten about once a week when I eat out but 90% of the time I don't eat any of it. I've noticed a huge difference. :)

but if you guys want to think it's just a money making scheme then go right ahead.. all i know is how i feel and how my depression is gone and it's thanks to eating healthy and cutting out Gluten/Dairy. :)

Last edited:

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
I think its great that people are seeing an improvement in function (physical or mental) with diatary changes. Whatever works.

But have you ever though that the improvement isn't due to the reduction of certain food type and the inclusion of more fruits and vegetables?

This seems be be what most articles and scientific data is saying about the "myth" of a sensitivity.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
all i know is how i feel and how my depression is gone and it's thanks to eating healthy and cutting out Gluten/Dairy. :)
There's no doubt that healthier eating and increasing consumptions of certain foods and nutrients can help improve one's general feeling of wellness. However that doesn't mean that dairy and gluten consumption (at least with those that do not have auto-immune disorders) is the root cause of that depression.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
My diet is pretty much mainly gluten and saturated fats in delicious combinations and I'm happy as a pig in shit and healthy.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Totally have to agree with some people on here. I'm around this all the time / everyday (I work @ McMaster DFM)... people have to stop diagnosing themselves on this. Stomach problems/symptoms are more common for many issues... yet, everyone who stops gluten says "Now I'm gluten free, it's gone away"

Stop the self diagnosing friends... >.<

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
A lot of people blame gluten for a lot of their IBS issues. What people should do, IMO, if they're concerned with intolerances is the IgG test:

IgG Food Intolerance Tests: What does the science say? « Science-Based Medicine

It essentially tests your blood against a panel of foods to see what you're intolerant to. It's not an allergy test, though, so don't get it confused. A lot of people with an auto-immune disease such as Celiac's also develop an intolerance to other foods. This is where the IgG test is very, VERY handy. No fucking around with elimination diets, FODMAPS anything, etc.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Wheat Belly is 90% bullshit, as is all this fanatical paleo nonsense. Anyone who believes that at any point in time humans were perfectly adapted to their environment has another thing coming. Further, the world is huge and history is full of myriad civilizations subsisting on nearly infinite variations of diets many of which included wheat.

Sure, wheat is a sugar and we ingest way too much sugar so cutting that back can be a good thing! But those that line behind these diets as some sort of return to our 'natural state' are ignoring so much history, evolutionary biology and behavioural psychology that's it is infuriating.

yep.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
i think its great that people are seeing an improvement in function (physical or mental) with diatary changes. Whatever works.

But have you ever though that the improvement isn't due to the reduction of certain food type and the inclusion of more fruits and vegetables?

This seems be be what most articles and scientific data is saying about the "myth" of a sensitivity.
dot.