1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Gluten Free ideas

Discussion in 'Health Forum' started by MOD ONE, Jul 29, 2010.

1. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I know this has been a growing category that people are dealing with on a daily basis, and it always amazes me of some of the recipes and products people with Gluten issues show me. I use to run a cafe and we served a low carb muffin made with Almond flour. What I was finding we where getting a lot of people with Gluten issues buying our muffins because they where Gluten free.... they loved us for that fact. Anyways thought I would start a thread for all people that deal with this issue where you can share your recipes or products to expand your choices.

2. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Unless people have specific health related issues with gluten that a doctor has proven, I think its a bunch of hogwash that urban hipsters convince themselves of.

3. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

how do you know if you are allergic to gluten?
    I think gluten sounds like a yucky word, I dont like to eat yucky words. therefore I am all for gluten free food....unfortunately its like twice as expensive as regular food.

4. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

That's one thing I noticed as well with Gluten free foods is how pricey it can get. I think it has to do with the ingredients of the gluten free foods and also the companies know that these people will shell out a lot of money for a few moments of joy. When I was making the low carb muffins the most expensive part was the almond flower with out that ingredient we could of charged a lot less for it. I was at a convention and ran into one person, which I forgot the companies name, but she had all kinds of gluten free treats, and they where amazing. She had 2 bite brownies and you wouldn't notice the difference. I also blame all the urban hipsters for our Gluten problems lol. The people with the Gluten issues that would come to my cafe where diagnosed with celiac by their doctor.

5. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

I am thinking of a paper clip. There is no gluten in said object.

6. peko

peko TRIBE Member

Sobey's sells her brand (ie. the 2 bite brownie type thing).

DG: you can get tested to see if you're allergic to it or if you're 'sensitive'
    to it.

I blame processed foods for gluten problems.

7. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

quinoa. do it.

8. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Tell me how it is.

9. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

What defazman said. Also, it is a complete protein.

Jay

10. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Well like I said enjoy your paper clip I'll stick with the gluten free brownie bites.

11. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

My sister runs a gluten free vegan coffee shop on the danforth - "Teatree"

Its around john st I think? Shes been getting rave reviews

12. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

PM me her link if she has a web site... Thanks

13. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

14. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

You should tell your sis to install this on her web site. It's a share tab so if someone likes her blog and wants to share it with all their friends they can. Her stuff looks pretty tasty!!!

15. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Well I got a recipe I got yesterday from a friend I know. It's a gluten free peanut butter cookie. They are not healthy at all but if you're looking to satisfying that sweet tooth this will work. I don't even have gluten issues, and I didn't mind these cookies at all.

1 cup of peanut butter (I use organic brand)
    1 cup of sugar (again I use organic cane sugar)
    1 egg (organic again)... now that being said if you don't give a shit about organic use what ever brand you want.

Mix the ingredients in a bowl till well blended. Roll into balls (the bigger the ball the bigger the cookie... funny how that works)

Place balls on a cooking sheet and press down with a fork.

Pre heat oven to 350

Cook for 15 mins and no longer or you will get brunt cookies

Let sit for at least 20mins before eating.

It's simple and most people have these ingredients... give it a try they are pretty tasty.

16. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Can you post that almond muffin recipe?

17. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I would have to find the recipe as I haven't touched that in a while. I know there's cream cheese, butter, almond flour and we also used splenda at the time to make it sugar free... you can use sugar is you want. Also some vanilla extract, but you need a good mixer to mix it in. We had an industrial size one when I had the cafe. I think that was the recipe from what I can remember. You can add stuff like Cinnamon and we also used flavor extracts to give it different flavors, which can be brought at specialty shops. If I can find the recipe I'll verify the ingredients. I always liked using banana extrac with chocolate chips and nuts... it was tasty. However you can try using real banana's, but I don't know how it would turn out. I also use to put this mix in a loaf pan and make loafs where you can slice it and make french toast... now that was amazing!!!

18. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

I make these all the time - my girls love them. It's actually the recipe on the kraft peanut butter label :) however it can be made with peanut-only peanut butter (but i like to add a pinch of salt when I do this). You can also reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup and they are still good. Also you can add chocolate chips, raisins or whole peanuts (or all three!) to mix it up a little.

19. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Cool next time I make them I will try a half a cup to see if it does tone down the sweetness. My friend said she likes to melt chocolate and drizzle it on top of the cookie, but chocolate is amazing almost on anything.

20. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I tried making the cookies with just half a cup of sugar and I like it better then 1 cup. I also put a pinch of salt in there as well.

21. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Tasty (gluten free) snack

Just tried this today .. Sweet, nutty , chewy and dense - YUM!

Hempseed Apricot Chews (serves 24)

3 cups dired apricots, roughly chopped
    1 cup chopped pitted dates
    1 cup shelled hempseeds
    1/4 cup cacao nibs
    2 tablespoons orange juice
    1 teaspoon orange zest
    1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract

Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper and set it aside.

Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until mixture forms a chuky paste

Transfer to prepared pan and press with a spatula to create an even thickness.

Cover and Chill until firm, 1 to 2 hours , and then cut into squares for serving.

Enjoy!

Jay

22. ZsaZsa

ZsaZsa TRIBE Member

Can anyone recommend a gluten free bakery that you can order online and they can send it via Canada Post or Fedex? I moved out to Windsor and there is NOTHING out here. I suck at baking and everything I try to make comes out tasting like saw dust. There are a few places I found online that ship; however they also charge like 25 bucks to do so. I just want a place that I can order a couple loaves of bread or something. I am not willing to spend like 50 bucks for a couple of loaves of bread. Sigh.

23. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

24. ZsaZsa

ZsaZsa TRIBE Member

25. Bean

Bean TRIBE Member