• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Globalization & Quinoa

I have a friend who is now a certified organic farmer with a plot of land in North York where numerous businesses and individual farmers also own plots. They treat it as a community and it's all hunky dory and yes, they do produce amazing crops at incredible prices (compared to most organic distributors but not compared to No Frills obviously). I try to buy produce from her from time to time. It's an interesting dynamic as there are a few issues that I've noticed that have come out of her decision to take a more ethical career path....

Where in North York? I'd love to check that out sometime!

I think the community is called Fresh Food City or something?
Anyway, I know that she gets visitors and you'll find a lot of a farmers out there.

Obviously it's closed now but when the spring starts, you should go check it out. I'm gonna head up there myself and spend a day working.

Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
i wonder how difficult it would be to grow quinoa in a small greenhouse. it probably wouldn't yield enough to make it worth the time/energy....thinkin out loud here...

Ethical quinoa - sure its possible.

In legalization scenarios it would probably be a requirement to grow coca in greenhouses domestically, just to cut out the south american cartels as much as possible in the early years until they get out of the business.

So I've seen THAT particular south american plant be discussed as a possible greenhouse operation up north, dont see why that wouldn't hold for quinoa...

where did they attack vegans in the article? seems to me they're reporting on the effects mass consumption of the commodity on a global scale is having on local prices and growers, it's just happens the rise in demand coincides the rise in vegan menus. i don't see any blame being given at all (the closest they come is identifying fatcat exporter and local markets as a big part of the issue, i highly doubt all the people involved in this enterprise are vegan), the article is bringing awareness to the issue.

i'd like to know where the garbage in this story is as well.

It's a baiting headline, and it needs to be pointed out that authors rarely have control over the headlines that accompany their articles.

It's a baiting headline, and it needs to be pointed out that authors rarely have control over the headlines that accompany their articles.

Maybe they should change it to:

"Can vegans read beyond the title of an article questioning their choices?"