1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Glitch Mob, Free the Robots, et al @ Wrongbar

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by docta seuss, May 9, 2010.

1. docta seuss

docta seuss TRIBE Member

Being a Tuesday night, it was an early, relatively short show, but my goodness, were my socks unexpectedly blown off, not by the Glitch Mob as most would assume, but by Free the effing Robots!

I will always love the Glitch Mob boys for the magic that was their earlier shit, and edIT is responsible for one of the most incredible musical experiences of my life on the beach at Shambhala a few years back, and I give him, Tipper, and Lorin FULL credit for essentially ejecting me from breaks into down-tempo glitchtastical bass music in three fell swoops.

That said, I really don't like the direction they have taken over the past few years, their tendency to over-act and give themselves props continuously in an attempt to compensate for the fact that they're really not doing a heck of a lot when you watch them live, and of course their overblown mega-dj status is a tad irritating, so needless to say, I wasn't expecting a heck of a lot.

The Glitch Mob certainly wasn't bad, but it wasn't a dj set like I was expecting, and it was all a tad too synthy for my liking, with no real stand-out tracks.. it was basically about an hour-long melded clump of synth that was enough to keep me moving, but nothing that I would pay $25 too see again.

Before the Glitch Mob came on however, was when the real magic took place. FREE THE ROBOTS was fucking INCREDIBLE!!!

I was hesitant when he first stepped-up, starting-off with a James Blake meets Bullion sort of sound, which I absolutely love, but it's certainly not dancefloor material.
    As I soon found out however, the man melds the quirk with the funk with the bangin' with the loopy with the groovy, etc. like a freaking master!

Tempos all over the place, incredibly fun, quirky looping, rad old school samples peppered throughout, good bass, hard beats, GAH!

Simply amazed. I would pay $25 to see him again in a heartbeat.

2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

awesome review man.

yeah i missed out on seeing Deru, thought i caught the last 10 mins of his set, and really enjoyed it, i would like to have seen more.

Free the Robots, that guy was amazing to see ! what a fucking treat, with a myriad of styles and genres used, the guys presence and his own unique way of combining the music he did, was just awesome. funky bass heavy, quirky, w/ some classic elements and just overall, what a great artist.

The Glitch Mob i will give them this, have some mad stage presence and know how to put on a Show.

it was fun, it was loud, and it was something i had never heard them do before. i had fun, and was dancing, but not ' losing my shit ' as i do at alot of shows that our own local talent put forth. i didnt like the track by track format, i feel like if they are going to do the tracks like that, at least innovate, and allow for smooth transitions.

regardless, i had a great time, with great people, and cannot thank Dylan & Nunich enough for getting us out to the show :)

it was awesome to see all the usual suspects out and about and to meet some cool new peeps.

and partying on a Tues, during the busiest week of work i have ever worked at this company, wow, i needed it, but man, i felt it a bit the next day.

its funny that it took till now for a review to come out for this show, hell i usually start them, i guess that shows just how busy i was.

thanks again to all involved, MUCH LOVE T-Dot BASS scene and culture.

[jai]

3. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

freetherobots must be feeling pretty good right about now

4. dj.nick.c

dj.nick.c TRIBE Member

yeah, this show was not at all what i had expected going into the night. Being a big fan of what they were churning out a year ago or older, I was expecting a total high energy crunked out glitch hop party set. Instead it was more of a live electro hip hop act. It was a lot more emo than i would have liked. I'm wondering if edIt is pulling the whole act back to the sound he was pushing with "crying over pros...".

they were playing live drums, guitars even, and their lemurs. It was good but having the breaks of silence between each tune kind of threw me off. again, i was expecting a big room dj set. Apparently this was only their 4th stop on tour so I'm wondering if it'll be more fine tuned and smoothed out once the ball gets rolling a bit more.

Their opening act, Free the Robots, totally owned it for me. I thought he stole the show for sure.

Would I see them again? Probably not, if its going to be the same sound. I'm glad i did see them though, another act to check off my list.