• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

glenn underground!

Deep_Groove

TRIBE Member
Why hasn't this been mentioned...EH?

GU was dropping the kind of set an afterhours space is SUPPOSED to hear...

seemed to me the crowd was loving it...

miller

TRIBE Member
I was there but everything is all fuzzy. Great space (though it could have used some benches or a couch or two) and the shit was soulful & dEEEEEEEEEP!

Mostly I was out of my mind at that point, it being after Pride, TEMPO.

JLV

TRIBE Member
GU was seriously kick ass. what an amazing venue!

tore it up on the dance floor! the dj was sick... lovin the deep house grooves.

do they have parties there all the time?

I<3Robots

TRIBE Member
JLV said:
GU was seriously kick ass. what an amazing venue!

tore it up on the dance floor! the dj was sick... lovin the deep house grooves.

do they have parties there all the time?
ya. and it's usually the worst music you've ever heard with sketched out candy ravers and fights and etc trying to find any way to squeeze into the building. for serious...peering in and knocking on/peeling open the panes of studio windows and that's upstairs...where it's residential and nothing's going on except you trying to chill out after having been on your own adventures. they plead "let me into the rave" in mournful high voices 3-5 nights a week.

i know. i lived directly above that space until February. it used to be a gallery until January. it was one of my favourite spaces i've ever lived until december 31st just before midnight the worst music EVER began pumping up through my floor, knocking pictures off the wall, dinner onto the floor. unfuckingbearable, especially during the week when i had to be up at 5am for work.

another friend's still there with the blindingly bad beats (glenn underground being the exception i'm sure, and haha he was away in Montreal for the weekend) vibrating up through the soles of his feet and pummelling his ears to the point where you have to shout to be heard.

i'd politely challenge whether or not the building could become a death trap in case of fire or freaked out kid playing with matches. you should check out the wiring, plus there were wayyy too many visits from the fire marshall.

ps on the nights there aren't parties there there are the weirdest most chilling sounds coming up through the floor courtesy of the guy who lives in the back room where your party was. truly fucked up stuff.

i wouldn't even have entertained the thought of going.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

davehill79

TRIBE Promoter
I had to leave this place smahed out of my face... Not sure why i was sooo drunk, all i know is it was hot, full with loads of hot people with loads of drinks.....

To be honest i cant even remember what the music was like, but i do remember meeting up with a few new peeps, dvs, good luck with the footy game...

Shame I was a little too drunk... Oh well, on guard to this LOOOONG weekend!!!

JuJuHound

TRIBE Member
I only lasted about a half hour after strolling from Tempo...

GU was throwing down some nice deep house...I was ready BUT the heat got the best of me and every one I was with, and all of us left by 4am....as we were leaving ton o peeps waiting to get in...I can just imagine the sauna after.....

Place is just north of.....nevermind...one can figure it out.

I would not call this place awesome. nice layout, low ceilings, and sound was not all that.

why not

TRIBE Member
i still think it's bizarre that they booked the only openly homophobic house DJ in the world to play on pride weekend.
(Glenn posted some wack shit on the DHP message board about a year or two ago)
oops.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
unfortunately, i am part of the Tempo gang that was too wasted to notice how good the music was (or wasn't). i know that one DJ played one of my faves, but i don't think it was Glenn. he came on a little later me thinks - meh. i was wasted. it was hot. i got stoned with Philly in a little room with stools and we watched the DJ through a square hole in the wall.

i thought that was kind of trippy. we couldn't find a window that opened and i left barely able to stand.

i think i don't like drinking very much.

miller

TRIBE Member
I remember struggling to talk to someone who didn't speak much English.

I remember it being waaay too hot and not loud enough, but I don't wanna hate on the place - I would definately go back (depending on the music), just not as WASTED!!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

philly

TRIBE Member
mariazmess said:
unfortunately, i am part of the Tempo gang that was too wasted to notice how good the music was (or wasn't). i know that one DJ played one of my faves, but i don't think it was Glenn. he came on a little later me thinks - meh. i was wasted. it was hot. i got stoned with Philly in a little room with stools and we watched the DJ through a square hole in the wall.

i thought that was kind of trippy. we couldn't find a window that opened and i left barely able to stand.

i think i don't like drinking very much.
hope you're not still recovering :p . the sound was deep for sure and the dance floor was on fire. it was wikked getting down with mariazmess and JLV, but miller just wanted to sit and chill. i don't remember what happend to dave but i was in no shape to do anything except shake my butt.... after smoking that j in that little room with a dj view i had to leave. nice little space and a nice little party.

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
The night was an interesting one for me. After ditching my date at a nearby bar (which was sadly warrened), I came to the GU jam, stumbled in there around 1am with Adam Khan and Christian Newhook playing some nice deep tracky business. The room filled up quickly and i bumped into ALOT of familar faces. And some cute girls in the house! Got pretty hammered over the next couple hours but as the night inched onward, the heat and the smoke was really starting to bother me. I spent a bit of time just hanging out outside talking to some cool people.. like this girl Parker :) and also locked down a dj gig while outside. yah! went back in and glenn got on and started playing some deep, soulful jams. i was hoping for more of the warehouse vibes he was throwing down like at the last soulutions party at 99 but this time it was more vibey. in the end, the heat, the smoke, and sound all ended up being too much for me. maybe i'm getting old but those jbl monitors aren't suppose to be tops, so, they were dangerously hot in the 2-3khz range. i left shortly afterwards. if i had brought earplugs and if they had some open windows or ventilation, i would have definately stayed. it seemed packed up and people were definately into it.

oh well, thanks for the hookups andy, adam, christian, alisha, et al. it was a sweet jam from what i witnessed.

baconpan baconpan baconpan baconpan = 4 strips of tempeh

hali.

JLV

TRIBE Member
miller said:
I remember struggling to talk to someone who didn't speak much English.
was it the speaker? because you were certainly grinding up on that all night long! :p

I loved it there (although I was pretty wasted too!) must have been all the shotguns in front of the dj booth.

I danced so much that night (Maria, Philly and even Dave, you guys wore me out!), I woke up a little sore on Sunday morning er... afternoon.

all in all, a memorable night to say the least!

I<3Robots

TRIBE Member
mariazmess said:
i got stoned with Philly in a little room with stools and we watched the DJ through a square hole in the wall.
ewww...maybe you were in the weird guy's room...glad you made it out because i don't know what the hell goes on in there but it's creepy.

anyway, glad i got out of that building when i did, esp after the description of the party.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
iheartI<3Robots.
no, we were in a room that was off something - looked more like a closet with a ticket window or something. the hole in the wall looked out to where the DJ booth was. although, i don't wanna know what he did in that room.

LOL:::

JLV said:
was it the speaker?

all in all, a memorable night to say the least!
amen sistah, amen.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
were you not in the roll calls thread when we discussed the whole, "do we care, do we not care if he's homophobic"?

a lot of DJs are idiots, regardless of their talent, apparently. i dislike most humans, but i choose to interact with them on a daily basis anyway. just in case i run into cool people. i can't start running around with questionaires, "ya, mr. bouncer? can you bring this to your headliner and ask him to fill out sections 4 and 5? thanks. no no, i'll wait."

i'll pray for Glenn. poor soul. his free-speech allows him to quote a book and free speech allows us to rant about what an idiot he is. weeeeee!

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
my GOD people on that board can't spell. faaaaaaack.

ROLLEYESSSSSSSSS. k, i've wasted like, 5 minutes of my life on this. booo.

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
the way i look at it, to judge a person based on his personal views is the same as someone judging based on sexuality. let bygones be bygones and just enjoy the music.

hahnsa

TRIBE Member
HaliBubba said:
the way i look at it, to judge a person based on his personal views is the same as someone judging based on sexuality. let bygones be bygones and just enjoy the music.
Hey hali what's up? remember vaguely seeing you on sat. night and was too
f*#ed up to have a decent convo. hee hee.
anyway, my reply to your comment is that when someone posts their "personal" (i.e. homophobic, gay hating, heterosexist) views on a public message board - they no longer are personal -they are out there and they affect people.

I did go to this party because I wanted to support the promoters and i think they are fabulous!!! but in the end my morals got the most of me and I jetted out of there. I believe that being passive/quiet in these types of situtaions isn't going to cut it.

Last edited:

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
hey sarah, yeah you are right, valid point. i feel conflicted because i respect him as a dj/producer, but not his homophobic views. but, in speaking with him as a person, he was kind and welcoming to me. so.. there lies the conflict.

droops

TRIBE Member
This space used to be Mind Control studios. I must say, I know a few people who lived there and a few peeps that just moved out from upstairs due to the crazy ass fucker who rents out the entire basement floor. Yes, the creepy noises come from the guy who runs the space.
He is not the promoter, though.
I must say that the people who have moved out from upstairs have had a bad run of luck with the latest tennent.
Many have been threatened and intimidated by this creep.
All bets say the tennant is a dealer who likes to make $$ off of the beer sales and whatever else he sells.
I know Toronto is short on afterhours spots but I'd have to encourage people to avoid doing events at this spot as the tennant is not in it to support the local scene.
nuff said.

why not

TRIBE Member
as sarah said, the issue is that he broadcast them on a public message board, and has never bothered to apologise or explain himself.

it's not like all he said is that he doesn't agree with gay marriage, he said in his first few posts that gays are dogs, and that he agrees with the jamaican reggae artists who say that gays should be killed.

that and it being pride weekend is just too much.

and no, i didn't read the roll call because i respect andy too much to bring this up before his party (he apparently didn't know about glenn's views).

seriously, this is like a klu klux klan guy singing blues songs, and exposing his views in the press. in that world, his career would be over in a new york minute, he wouldn't be getting booked to play a black history month event.

Last edited:

hahnsa

TRIBE Member
HaliBubba said:
hey sarah, yeah you are right, valid point. i feel conflicted because i respect him as a dj/producer, but not his homophobic views. but, in speaking with him as a person, he was kind and welcoming to me. so.. there lies the conflict.
Well it goes back to the age old debate of does one separate the artist from his art? I view the two as being very much connected.