• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Girls, thinking about getting a tattoo on your lowerback and getting preggers?

kick

TRIBE Member
I too was concerned about this, but luckily my tatoo was a couple inches lower than where they stick it in.

THANK GOD

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

CIRCE (Sir C)

TRIBE Member
Fear mongering that's entirely unfounded in any real science....based on the current climate that encourages entitlement to epidural intervention. Problem is that they can't ethically do a randomized control trial to demonstrate no additional risk.
The Canadian & North American OB/GYN societies see no additional risk to pregnancy and no one had ever been refused (so my OB partner tells me). The Anaesthesiologist does the "informed choice" talk laying out the theoretical risks.

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
They've been saying this for a long time, but some anesthitists will do it.

"The ink in a tattoo is not in a fluid state, it has simply stained the skin, so it won't be flowing around because of a puncture. Still, you don't want skin being carried down into the spine anyway, so anesthesia equipment is designed to slice through the skin and not carry pieces down with it. "

Also interesting article -> http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/tattoo.asp

Funzo

TRIBE Member
Awesome. I used to party at Dr. Mann's house all the time (with his son). He has a very nice scotch collection.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lobo

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
Also, I'm pretty sure that "lower back" is two words. ;)
Yeah, I thought I was gonna run out of space for a title. :) Looks like I had a few more characters to go.

Lobo

Scarlett

TRIBE Member
I have a tattoo on my lower back, got preggers (5 years later), and had an epidural....it wasn't a concern for me, my OBGYN (she never brought it up, neither did i) or the anaesthesiologist...

kick

TRIBE Member
afterglow said:
This is old news and completely FALSE.
I don't know about completely false. It just hasn't been proven. I think thats because no one really wants to push ink into a womans spinal fluid and see what happens.

My pre-natal teacher mentioned it as well as the anaesthesiolotist who did my epidural.