• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Girls of Tribe.....I wanna knwo something.......

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
So it seems more and more concerning to me that more and more females that I talk to seem to have serious body image issues, and seem to think this is normal. One girl told me she almost fell down the stairs after not eating for a couple of days. I was like, holy shit, firstly I can't beleive you didnt eat for 2 days, secondly you aren't overweight like you seem to think and thirdly I cant beleive you are telling me this since that seems like something someone would keep to themselves.........but then she's not the only one, I hear more and more about girls not being happy with their body's........its fuggin scary to see them do this..........girls.....help me out here, what am I missing? Do you have self image issues? is this a really common thing? like more than half of girls think this way?

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
starving yourself to lose weight comes from such ignorance. your body just goes into starvation mode and stores everything as fat. i think if most of these girls knew that they wouldn't be starving themselves to try to lose weight. of course this all goes deeper than just that....i'm just surprised this still goes on...especially with all the info that's available to us.

Mrs. Brick

TRIBE Member
i work in the fashion industry, and a lot of the models used for runway and print average at age 16. so women are basically being pressured to look like 16 year olds by the media, and it is so easy to feel 'too fat' or whatever.

i recently walked by Aritzia and saw a 'we love skinny' sign. WTF! its not even discreet anymore.

its a completely bizzare phenomenon. marketing, especially fashion, is a male dominated industry, yet scientific studies have proved that more men want a woman with curves, or the 'hip to waist ratio'. i think we need more cunts in the marketing department, we would see a shift in weight for sure.

oh and igstar, that celery is hitting you in all the wrong places!

lucky1

TRIBE Member
as much as I wish I could say all my friends are happy with what they got. I can't. Most have at least several things they want to change. Myself included. It's really too bad, but we are the first generation growing up as mass target market for the media. It's realy hard not to compare yourself to the "ideal" image. (c boobs, 26 inch waist, legs a mile long, perfect face) Most women naturally can not be that, but we try..

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
I understand the whole "perception of what is beautiful" thing, but I wanna know if this is a "common" thing.........meaning amongst the female community would you say half of the girls you know have body and self image issues?

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
I would say 100% of the women I know have body issues
one of my good friends is a model and has an eating disorder and my cousin had an eating disorder for years...luckily my cousin got through it and it happy and healthy now

its sad really...

I try and maintain a healthy mind when it comes to this topic but I will admit I have thought of drastic ways to lose weight before...

I havent starved myself or takin pills...I just stay away from things that aren't good for me (not all the time) and work out...

Ladies :) love yourselves...

society totally perpetuates this way of thinking...it makes me sick

Last edited:

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I do the don't eat thing.. if I have an important night planned, or something I won't eat all day so my stomach stays flat.. (I tend to have a problem with my stomach bloating after eating)

IgStar

TRIBE Member
Mrs. Brick said:
oh and igstar, that celery is hitting you in all the wrong places!

damn water!

also, just as an observation. The girls/women here (Switzerland...maybe it's a whole euro attitude..I don't know as I am new here still..) but they aren't so hung up on having a lil extra flab. in fact, I think they more than OK with it.
and they definately don't seem ashamed about it. which I like.
in fact, my new chubby self is quite comfortable with this outlook.

*eats cheese*

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
lucky1 said:
I do the don't eat thing.. if I have an important night planned, or something I won't eat all day so my stomach stays flat.. (I tend to have a problem with my stomach bloating after eating)
I totally do this sometimes but where does this come from? what is wrong with our stomach not being flat as a board? (not directed at you lucky1 just a rhetorical ?)

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
ok.......so am I to understand that its more of an educational thing than anythign else really? I mean, to me, it was that the majority of people (men and women) who had issues with their body's and would take drastic measures like not eating was because they were weak and lazy and did not want to put in the effort, hard work and discipline that it takes to get teh body they want..........but from what i'm hearing so far, it seems like more an educational thing..........
so heres another question then, are these body issues something that will be fixed by just losing weight or is it a genetic thing (like some girls have wider pelvises than others, wider hips etc)........?

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
educational thing meaning that if your goal is to lose fat but you dont have the understanding how to do it in a healthy way then maybe thats why some girls are addressing the matter in a drastic way?

cabbagetowngirl

TRIBE Member
I think back to how peer pressure effected teenagers back when I was in highschool, and even back then, it was pretty bad. But now, fuck, it's horrible. My 13 year old godchild is 5 3', with a very thin frame, and maybe weighs 90 lbs at the most. I hear her complain CONSTANTLY on how she needs to get rid of the fat here, and here, and here......

SHE'S 13!!!!!!!! Her mother has put her into counselling, so that it doesn't turn into something worse such as an eating disorder.

Myself, I have been unhappy with my body at times, but took proper measures to correct them. I think everyone at some point in their lives will think the same thing about themselves, that they can always be better.

But shit, the media is HORRIBLE when it comes to "what's pretty", and it's usually some little sickly looking skinny little tart, who eats a few carrots per day.

cabbagetowngirl

TRIBE Member
junglegirl said:
I would say 100% of the women I know have body issues
one of my good friends is a model and has an eating disorder and my cousin had an eating disorder for years...luckily my cousin got through it and it happy and healthy now

its sad really...

I try and maintain a healthy mind when it comes to this topic but I will admit I have thought of drastic ways to lose weight before...

I havent starved myself or takin pills...I just stay away from things that aren't good for me (not all the time) and work out...

Ladies :) love yourselves...

society totally perpetuates this way of thinking...it makes me sick
AMEN, you couldn't have said it better!

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
It will never cease to amaze me, you meet a girl that makes your head spin and put a double bounce in your step, you can't help but feel like the luckiest man on earth and yet she views herself in a negative light. Each and every curve makes you want to run around the block and scream with your arms in the air every freckle and every mole a new target to kiss and yet she sees something so completely different in the mirror.

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
ok, so maybe it is because these girls/women need to be educated on how to eat and how to exercise then? Is there some other underlying thing that is causing this and the not eating type of thing is a way of compensating for it?

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
my cousin was super educated in eating right and exercising she just counted calories like a madwomen...oh and added laxatives to her diet...I think its all about control and not wanting to lose control of your body at any point

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
See, Junglegirl...........thsi is where I am confused.........so there is nothing that someone can do to help a girls self confidence, because if a girl understands what to do to attain their goals, and even if they cheat and use laxatives then its not their body type they are worried about..........what I can't understand is what is it exactly that is messing with their heads.........

bushka

TRIBE Member
When I was younger (in high school) I think that I had some body image issues...dieting, obsessive exercising etc, even though I really didn't need it. I was also very engrossed in the wacky world of ballet which probably explains most of it. As I've grown older (and more mature I would like to think) I've accepted myself and can't believe how much of my teenage years I wasted worrying about such trivial things.

Not to say that there is nothing I would like to change about myself...I have my "fat" days, but in general I think I have a much healthier outlook now. .

Last edited: