• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ginos and Ginas the notion of them and what they represent

swilly

TRIBE Member
i have thought about this for sometime well perhaps not a long time really. Just this afternoon and for the most part only while i was having my afternoon coffee with my roomate and even then it was moreso just a passing thought, now that i think about it.
Right

Anyways what i thought about though is what is a So called Gino or Gina and what do they represent?

Many would tell you that they represent a canadian with european taste or attitude with respect to behaviour or indeed even fashion.

However, the more i think about it, from my own experiences of living with italians from italy as well as contiential french, spanish portugese and as well as germans and a house full of greek exchange students i would say there is quite the difference in both fashion and behaviour.

One of the things that strikes me most is the lost sense of liberalism. By this i mean the liberal values associated with fashion, acceptance, behaviour and attitude. It is hard to decribe the latter terms but the first one is easier. I think lost liberalism can be decribed as the loss of men wearing clothes that by north american standards could be called effiminate but however still look good. Naturally on the whole there are many men or even ginos in toronto and indeed even in canada who fit this example and i am sure many will provide anecdotal evidence to dispute this claim. However, i think when one looks at in in terms of its totality there is a large difference in the frequency of occurance for this fashion with respect to ginos.

This is only one expression of the difference between the two naturally. However, what do you think is the causal factor in this differnce other then the environment.


Perhaps let us begin with the basic reductions of the term Gino and Gina what do you think these terms mean in its very essence?

Is there a ethnic component to it or is it more so fashion related difference or perhaps even a attitude?
what do you think about lost european liberlism in this idea?
I just would like to hear others thoughts on this
cheers
william
 

joey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swilly
i have thought about this for sometime well perhaps not a long time really. Just this afternoon and for the most part only while i was having my afternoon coffee with my roomate and even then it was moreso just a passing thought, now that i think about it.
Right


You lost me after the first paragraph. You went from thinking about the subject for "sometime" and ended up with "just a passing thought".

dude...
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

swilly

TRIBE Member
here is another one i have been thinking about.

Why do so many people identify themselves as being a gino or gina? what does this term signify to them? perhaps in thier mind is there a social status invovled in this term ?

I have to admit though that i am basing this last item on interactions with several people. So it is quite stupid to generalize to the whole group. Also the people i talked with that made such comments were in first year and were by my reckoning quite stupid. Mind you i think many people on the whole are quite stupid so.... i guess there goes my objectivity

swilly
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oeretS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
I view it as a mix of fashion and attitude. It's a lifestyle that isn't ethnically based.

minus the odd exception, i honestly don't know how you can think that. please explain
 

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
and lots of saying guy

yes i do hate the word guy

At least with mate or amigo or buddy there is a sense of comradery or friendship invovled. Guy is simply a statement of ones gender nothing more.
what is the purpose really

swilly
 

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
That was well though out statemet swilly, there is perhaps a trend, don't forget to include your subjective perspective. Going along with that line of thinking don't overlook the abundance of philosophy and perspectives and experiences that goes along with living. For example I swing from gino to raver in lightining speed, i'm sure many others do also. We reside in a dynamic system although I won't deny a trend.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Well being half Italian and actually being to Italy I can confirm that Ginos and Ginas do not represent Italian culture from a European context. They are the epitome of a of North American Italian culture that has allowed themselves to become materialistic. I also believe that every culture here in North America has thier own version of Ginos and Ginas.
 

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
P.s. explain what it is that you think is wrong with that.

Keep in mind this is my view.

I realize that it 's kinda like how people call electronic music techno. Which is fine for those of us who don't listen to electronic music.
 

oeretS

TRIBE Member
how he can think that its not ethnically based. Ginos are predominantly European, Mediterrainian (sp) or Jewish. Find me a caker gino, please!
 

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SelfExel
That was well though out statemet swilly, there is perhaps a trend, don't forget to include your subjective perspective. Going along with that line of thinking don't overlook the abundance of philosophy and perspectives and experiences that goes along with living. For example I swing from gino to raver in lightining speed, i'm sure many others do also. We reside in a dynamic system although I won't deny a trend.

I think the term raver is a term that has been lost for some time. The identification of onself with such a group is pointless as there is no such group left. The very notion of someone claiming to be a raver really irks me ( no offense i understand your usage).

However, what then is the difference between being a so called raver and then a gino. If the fashion then is a critical factor then what about your case where you go from both ends of the spectrum. Would it not then be more appropiate to call it smart casual club wear and casual club wear. Unless of course your attitude and behavior and social interactions change with the clothes you were.

It is possible but unlikly

swilly
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oeretS
how he can think that its not ethnically based. Ginos are predominantly European, Mediterrainian (sp) or Jewish. Find me a caker gino, please!

There are Irish Ginos! Trust me I worked with one for four years.
 

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by man_slut
Well being half Italian and actually being to Italy I can confirm that Ginos and Ginas do not represent Italian culture from a European context. They are the epitome of a of North American Italian culture that has allowed themselves to become materialistic. I also believe that every culture here in North America has thier own version of Ginos and Ginas.

I was alluding to that but could not say such a thing, as there is not a sufficent aboriginal gino group to validate my statement to allow such a comment.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top