• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ginger Beer

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
hells ya.

I'll take the new Grace recipe (that came out last year or the year before) over Old Jam. any time though.

That said, the absolute BEST ginger beer i've ever had was made by Brian Lavers @ Thomas & Lavers Deli & Cannery in kensington.

Brewed in house, made with fresh ginger. Can't be beat.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
My fave is Crabbie's. Especially good for a Dark & Stormy: 1 oz dark rum, 7 oz Crabbie's, splash of lime, splash of lemon, lemon and lime twist.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I love ginger beer! Especially with spicy food! I find the Grace one a bit sweet but it is still really nice.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
My fave is Crabbie's. Especially good for a Dark & Stormy: 1 oz dark rum, 7 oz Crabbie's, splash of lime, splash of lemon, lemon and lime twist.
Sorry to disagree , Crabbies is garbage.

It's not even properly made ginger beer. It's alcohol with sugar and ginger flavoring added.

Try a dark and stormy with *real* ginger beer, and your life will be changed.

Proper DNS doesn't have lemon/lime either - a good ginger beer should have enough acidity flavor.

I like adding a dash of Angostura tho...

Last edited:

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
An Old Jamaican is only $1.00, but I will give Grace a try.
many places have Grace @ .79 cents quite often, but it's usually $1.00.

It's no home made, but it's the best bottled i've had. (And i've probably drank 20 different brands, including small batch organic stuff from health food stores)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Grace does have a nice bite to it and they print Jamaican sayings inside the bottlecaps!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
love dark & stormy's but have to say i prefer my ginger beer with Gin now, if you haven't tried it please do, 1.5 ounces of gin and an ounce of lime juice (you need the lime juice when you do it with gin), somehow more refreshing than the rum countepart

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
Sublime Cafe in Kensington brews its own ginger beer in the summer and it will burn your nose hairs out. Top rankin' in da yard, boyeeeeeee.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Sorry to disagree , Crabbies is garbage.

It's not even properly made ginger beer. It's alcohol with sugar and ginger flavoring added.

Try a dark and stormy with *real* ginger beer, and your life will be changed.

Proper DNS doesn't have lemon/lime either - a good ginger beer should have enough acidity flavor.

I like adding a dash of Angostura tho...
And? I like it. I don't like the ginger beers where my throat burns half way through the drink.

Also - who died and made you the fucking dark and stormy fairy? Citrus is optional in most recipes. I find it brings about an added freshness to the drink.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Krackajak

TRIBE Member
Stoney!!

I fell in love with this ginger beer in Kenya... though you can find it at specialty South or East African stores. It has a great ginger bite but the finish is very refreshing.

derek

TRIBE Member
grace ftw

if you want alcoholic ginger beer. the champ was:

st pete's

but sadly they don't make it any more.

crabbies is too sweet for my taste.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
And? I like it. I don't like the ginger beers where my throat burns half way through the drink.

Also - who died and made you the fucking dark and stormy fairy? Citrus is optional in most recipes. I find it brings about an added freshness to the drink.
I'm not a dark and stormy fairy - just someone who's developed love for cocktail.

The drinkis actually trademarked by gosslings, so for it to be a true dark and stormy, it follow their recipe.

Dark 'N' Stormy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories