1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Gilles Petersen and Theo Parrish at Elysee-Montmartre

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by erika, May 2, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

So when Valentin said "come and meet us at metro d'Anvers there's a party at this place" I thought "alright".
    When I got out of the metro they were waiting and that's when he told me who was playing.
    A space sort of like a cross betwen Koolhaus and Reverb, with all kinds of sound and lights but also bits of the old frescoed ceiling, a mezzanine running around the back, very cool.

The sound could have been better but up front it was good and that was the main thing. Gilles did the opening set, utterly charming, speaks good french, lots of broken beats at first, then speeding things up a bit, going a bit latin, then, just as I was getting antsy, Theo came on.

I had never seen him before and had a blast. I must say that very few of my compatriots there (Valentin and his crew being the exceptions) were great dancers - I wished some of those high-energy househead sprites I often bump into here had been there, mais c'est la vie.

No, of course I can't list any tracks or do anything useful like that, other than to say that we left around 5 (and yes, they were still serving) having danced our feet off.

2. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

that's pretty awesome. especially since you had no idea who was going to be playing. cool surprise.

3. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

i was trying to get my friends in London to go to give me a report.

i see it worked out just the same.

isn't gilles the cutest? *swoon*

4. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    he is just too darling/charming :)

5. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

has gilles peterson ever played in toronto lately? i'd expect he'd get a great turnout here

6. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

^^

'07 @ the docks and soul jazz orchestra opened up the show.

hay isn't he gonna play in town this summer? i coulda sworn i saw a listing and was "awh shiiiiiiiiiiiit"

could be wrong, hope i'm not though.

7. wakipaki

wakipaki TRIBE Member

smirinoff experience party at the liberty grand a long time ago (free party)

he was playing the courtyard, was really cool but no real vibe

8. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

he's coming jul/aug
    will be doing a show in Mtl too

9. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    nice!
    I was at the one at the Docks; that was my only time there.