1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Giant Hogweed

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by keline, Jul 12, 2011.

1. keline

keline TRIBE Member

It's an invasive plant that can cause second degree burns if you touch it. My friend's 3-year-old touched this plant in a yard in Brampton a few months ago .. he had huge raised blisters across the back of his hand and wrist the next day, and he still has scars today.
    I didn't know we had plants this dangerous around here! I haven't seen it personally but this is what it looks like:
    [​IMG]
    And here's some information about it:
    Giant Hogweed

2. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

They are photosensitive toxins. If you get the sap on you that part of your body will have an increased sensitivity to sun for LIFE. Sucks.

3. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

If it gets in your eyes or bloodstream it can cause permanent eye damage/blindness. So don't get it in your eyes or bloodstream.

And whatever you do, don't use pesticides, because they are illegal and only serve to prevent noxious weeds from taking hold.

4. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

uhh problem solved?

5. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

what is is with tribe and work colliding these days? I can comment on this one though.

yes - it's an invasive plant, it's been here for years but the population is increasing. It was most likely brought over as an ornamental, which is how most plants get here. We also have Wild Parsnip, which can do the same thing.

Both species prefer sunny upland fields but can also be found in ditches and along the edge of wet meadows.

Giant Hogweed:
    Massive plant with coarse, jagged leaves and a flat, umbrella shaped flowering head with numerous white flowers.
    Commonly exceeds 2 m in height.

Wild Parsnip:
    Smaller – less than 1.5 m in height
    Flowers on its umbrella-shaped flowering heads are yellow

What Happens:
    The sap from both species, in contact with exposed skin, can cause phytophotodermatitis (severe skin inflammation) when exposed to sunlight (even under cloudy conditions)
    Blisters form within 48 hours of exposure
    Scarring can last from months to several years.
    Even small amounts of sap in the eyes can lead to temporary or permanent blindness.

What can you do:
    Protective clothing (including eye protection) should be worn when handling these species in any way
    If you think you’ve been in contact with hogweed or parsnip…wash the affected areas immediately with soap and water if available
    Keep affected areas out of direct sunlight (if you get sap on you cover it immediately)
    Seek medical advice as soon as possible (if phytodermatitis develops)

If you have any on your property let me know and I'll send over some removal tips.

Also all sightings should be reported to the invasive species hotline - 1-800-563-7711 or to OFAH Invading Species Awareness Program so that locations and spread can be better monitored.

6. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

actually, if you knew the pesticide act you would realize that some pesticides are allowed for noxious plants for exactly that reason. It's cosmetic uses that are banned. Pesticides Act - O. Reg. 63/09

Health or safety, poisonous plants

22. (1) No person shall use a pesticide mentioned in section 16 to destroy, prevent or control plants that are poisonous to humans by touch, including poison ivy, poison sumac and giant hogweed, unless,

(a) the person is a licensed exterminator authorized to perform the extermination; and

(b) the person uses,

(i) a Class 2, 3 or 4 herbicide whose only pesticide ingredient is a Class 10 pesticide, or

(ii) a Class 5, 6 or 7 herbicide. O. Reg. 63/09, s. 22 (1).

(2) Despite subsection (1), any person may use a Class 5, 6 or 7 herbicide to destroy, prevent or control a plant mentioned in subsection (1) if the person uses the herbicide on land that he or she owns or occupies. O. Reg. 63/09, s. 22 (2).

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

nice one. but the ban is only against 'cosmetic use'. you're welcome for this info. no need to thank me.

8. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

9. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

i, for one, welcome our dandelion overlords.

:/

10. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

has any of this been spotted in the T-Dot? Is there an interactive map or an info graphic?

11. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

Is this plant a cousin of the infamous 'dickweed' I heard so much about in elementary school?

12. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

13. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

First Japanese Knotweed, now toxic blinding plants? WTF?!

14. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

15. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Oh Snap. I just scared my office drones with my laugh on this one.

Well played.

16. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

17. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

amazing

18. alexd

Giant Hogweed is like land lampreys that make you go blind!

19. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

I haven't been this freaked out since the day of the triffids

and that fight we had with hullaboard 10 years ago

20. alexd

Well, one thing is for sure: I am now going to start wearing gloves whenever i pull any kind of weed out of the garden.

21. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

Everytime I pull my Giant Hog it seems to grow right back a few hours later, and just as deadly as ever.

22. JEMZ

JEMZ TRIBE Member

Yeah but pulling the plant out of the ground may take more than 6 seconds.

23. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

Hey, I may love myself but it doesn't mean I need to be romantic.

24. IgStar

IgStar TRIBE Member

lol dandelion overlords. awesome :)

25. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

They're like, one step down from Triffids!