• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Giant Bling Discovered

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Astronomers spy 10 billion trillion trillion-carat diamond

The Associated Press
Last Updated 3:06 p.m. PST Friday, February 13, 2004

LOS ANGELES (AP) - If anyone's ever promised you the sun, the moon and the stars, tell 'em you'll settle for BPM 37093.

The heart of that burned-out star with the no-nonsense name is a sparkling diamond that weighs a staggering 10 billion trillion trillion carats. That's one followed by 34 zeros.

The hunk of celestial bling is an estimated 2,500 miles across, said Travis Metcalfe, of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"You would need a jeweler's loupe the size of the sun to grade this diamond," said Metcalfe, who led the team that discovered the gem.

The diamond is a massive chunk of crystallized carbon that lies about 300 trillion miles from Earth, in the constellation Centaurus.

The galaxy's largest diamond is formally known as a white dwarf, or the hot core of a dead sun.

Astronomers have suspected for decades that white dwarfs crystallized, but only recently were able to verify the hypothesis.

A paper detailing the discovery has been submitted to The Astrophysical Journal Letters for publication.

---

On the Net: http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
It won't be long before Hollywood cashes in on this, with the giant bling hurtling toward Earth.

Armageddon Me One of These, starring of course The Rock as the astronaut sent to do something about it, and a young starlet, perhaps Kate Hudson, as a diamond in the rough, waiting for her love to bring her the bling.

Xtatic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
It won't be long before Hollywood cashes in on this, with the giant bling hurtling toward Earth.

Armageddon Me One of These, starring of course The Rock as the astronaut sent to do something about it, and a young starlet, perhaps Kate Hudson, as a diamond in the rough, waiting for her love to bring her the bling.
OMG that is fuckin' hilarious.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
My syncronicity: I just finished Arthur C. Clarke's 2061: Odyssey Three, and the story has as part of it a large diamond mountain on Europa, which got there by being tossed from the core of the star that Jupiter formed into (in one of the earlier books of the trilogy).

It references a paper by Melvin Ross, who back in 1981 predicted diamond core gas planets, with methane being pushed down into the core, dissociating into carbon and hydrogen, and the carbon being pressurized into diamond over time.

silver1

TRIBE Member
My syncronicity: I just finished Arthur C. Clarke's 2061: Odyssey Three, and the story has as part of it a large diamond mountain on Europa, which got there by being tossed from the core of the star that Jupiter formed into (in one of the earlier books of the trilogy).

It references a paper by Melvin Ross, who back in 1981 predicted diamond core gas planets, with methane being pushed down into the core, dissociating into carbon and hydrogen, and the carbon being pressurized into diamond over time.
I was just thinking about that when I read the article.

P.S. What did you think of 2061?

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by silver1
I was just thinking about that when I read the article.

P.S. What did you think of 2061?
I liked it; tied a lot of ends up.

Clarke is always good, in that he uses good science, although in some ways that bothers me, since then people reading his books get the idea that it ain't fiction, and that sometime in the future we will be doing what Clarke has imagined.

silver1

TRIBE Member
I liked it; tied a lot of ends up.

Clarke is always good, in that he uses good science, although in some ways that bothers me, since then people reading his books get the idea that it ain't fiction, and that sometime in the future we will be doing what Clarke has imagined.
I didn't like it as much. Decent read. I just felt he did too much superfluous stuff to get to the meat and potatoes of the monolith at the end.

I like his "SciFi" commentary type stuff in the books (i.e. a glimpse of how things may be in terms of technology) but IMO that takes away from the storytelling aspect at times. Mind you I read it MANY years after 2010 so perhaps I was a little too "away" or detached from things.

Have you read 3001 yet?

RhesusMonkey

TRIBE Member
Where are my buckyballs?

Completely useless factoid/ question... I'm surprized that it's diamond and not a giant buckyball. Well, ok, not really, but it would certainly be cool if it was crystalized buckminsterfullerines instead of a diamond lattice. :( I'm a huge nerd.

Oh, and Diamond prices are going to crash pretty hard once artificial diamond making becomes the norm. Materials scientists are trying to determine how to (cheaply) grow a pure diamond lattice for making next-gen semiconductor circuits, and they're doing pretty well, or so I hear.

And another friend of mine said she'd only accept a diamond engagement ring if it was a real blood diamond... no peace-time diamonds for her... :D

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by silver1
Have you read 3001 yet?
No... jesus, man, isn't Clarke dead yet? Fucking guy should be taking a dirt nap by now.

I do random browsing in used book stores, and I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: Where are my buckyballs?

Originally posted by RhesusMonkey
Oh, and Diamond prices are going to crash pretty hard once artificial diamond making becomes the norm.
Artificial diamonds are easy to tell apart from natural ones, and unless manufacturers can come up with a way of doping them with the proper trace elements, they won't do much to the price.

There is a huuuuge surplus of diamonds, which is used to control market prices (which aren't really controlled by rational processes anyways, since irrational humans are involved).

HybridTheory

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by lucky1
How many zeros is that? (a billion trillion triliion?!)
staggering 10 billion trillion trillion carats. That's one followed by 34 zeros.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Where are my buckyballs?

Artificial diamonds are easy to tell apart from natural ones, and unless manufacturers can come up with a way of doping them with the proper trace elements, they won't do much to the price.
From the Wired article:

The diamond industry is in fact even more concerned about gems made using chemical vapor deposition than it is about Gemesis stones, though Gemesis poses a more immediate threat. The promise of CVD is that it produces extremely pure crystal. Gemesis diamonds grow in a metal solvent, and tiny particles of those metals get caught in the diamond lattice as it grows. CVD diamond precipitates as nearly 100 percent pure diamond and therefore may not be discernible from naturals, no matter how advanced the detection equipmen

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories