• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ghostface - Fishscale

ginsu

TRIBE Member
Anyone listen to this yet?

I've given it a once-through quickly last week. Stellar shit.

Can always depend on Ghost even though he's not my fav Wu member. So consistent.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

zoo

TRIBE Member
I wasn't a fan on my first listen. It was alright, but I felt like I wanted something different; I'll give another chance later.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Tony Bandana

TRIBE Promoter
on a sidenote ....on Ghost's classic Supreme Clinetle.

were you guys aware of the very last track on the cd were his voice is really fucked up ..

its all about 50 Cent.

it was brought to my attention by a fellow hip hopper who dont like coppers.

im a lyrical wizard yo

:D

Tony Bandana

TRIBE Promoter
Bought this record today.

yeah I'd have to say it has to be one of the best all around albums thats been put out in the last couple of years.

great to hear ODB on there as well!

:D

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
I hope no one bases the album off that first single with Ne-yo because that is the worst song on there!

The Doom produced Milli Bros track with most of the original Wu-Tang members is bananas. I can't wait for that Ghostface/Doom collab album, if it ever sees the light of day.

Also love the beat & flow of R.A.G.U w/ Raekwon.

This album will definitely go down as one of the best hip hop albums for me of 2006. ( I know it's only April but hey I'm excited to actually like something)

Tony Bandana

TRIBE Promoter
Despite rarely being mentioned amid “best rappers alive” rumblings, Ghostface has yet to release anything but acclaimed hip-hop since his 1996 solo debut, Ironman. Even when Wu-Tang releases started failing to find an audience, Ghost put the Clan on his back and kept the crew relevant with 2000’s seminal disc Supreme Clientele. Possessing a unique pedigree of prose (i.e. “Ayo, this rappin’s like ziti, facin’ me real TV/Crash at high speeds, strawberry kiwi”) and unbridled lyrical passion, he is the reigning king of consistency. Inexplicably, though, the Staten Islander’s tunes tend to excite critics more than consumers. After treading more accessible waters with 2004’s kinder and gentler disc, The Pretty Toney Album, Starks takes it back to his Killah roots with his fifth solo platter, Fishscale.

Clan connoisseurs will find comfort in “9 Milli Bros.,” a colossal posse cut featuring all of the Clansmen—including ODB and the return of Ghost’s longtime partner in rhyme Raekwon, who appears four times here as opposed to not at all last time around. The duo rekindles that classic Cuban Linx chemistry on the cocaine instructional “Kilo” and “R.A.G.U.,” an intense crime saga heightened by chilling strings and bells. Bullet-ridden narratives continue on the captivating “Shakey Dog,” where Ghost stages a botched heist over Lewis Parker’s horn-heavy Blaxploitation soundtrack with scene-setting detail: “Three fuckin’ maricones on the couch, watching Sanford & Son/Passing they rum, fried plantains and rice/Big rounds of onions on the T-bone steak/My stomach growling, Yo, I want some!”

Surprisingly, Ghost’s return to a darker sound doesn’t include the RZA. In his place is a crop of subterranean track masters. The most prominent being underground poster boy MF Doom, whose avant-garde replacement of Bobby Digital’s sonic grit is triumphant. Collaborating on five cuts, Ghost and Doom mesh like dust brothers from another. Metal Face’s hypnotic flutes and wave sound effects anchor “Underwater,” Tony’s bugged-out aquatic fantasy, complete with “mermaids with Halle Berry haircuts” and “SpongeBob in the Bentley coupé, banging the Isleys.” Their combined excellence continues on the acid-trip symphony “Charlie Brown” and the body-dropping “Clips of Doom,” a murder-gram ripe with piercing electric guitars and Ghost’s vivid violence: “Put two cutter mirrors replacing the eyes/So when the cops come they’ll see themselves, they all gonna die.”

Lightening up for a moment, Toney turns his attention toward estrogen for “Big Girl,” where the Pretty One sweet-talks shorties with his signature peculiarity. Later he waxes parental atop J Dilla’s subdued guitar lift on “Strap,” a candid reflection about today’s wayward parental discipline. “Nowadays kids don’t get beat/They get big treats, fresh pair of sneaks/Punishments is like, Here, have a seat.”
Unfortunately, Ghost Deini succumbs to commercial pressure. Amid the shadowy production scope of the album, the love-gone-bad R&B number “Back Like That” featuring Ne-Yo feels out of place. Equally confusing is the head-scratching “3 Bricks,” which awkwardly combines Ghost and Rae with Notorious B.I.G.’s “Somebody’s Gotta Die” vocals. Produced by Cool & Dre, the track seems better suited for Biggie’s slapdash Duets.
With a few forced collaborations being its only flaw, Fishscale is Ghost’s most addictive dosage post Supreme Clientele. Packed with vivid street tales, comic relief and straight spittin’, the album continues his standard of excellence. Now if only consistency equaled power. If it did, Ghostface would be king. —MATT BARONE

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
it's an amazing album mostly due to delegated production...there's a hot MF doom M.I.C. beat used for a WU track!!...that solidifies my czars/wu-tang comparison:D

I don't know...since I firt listened It gets put on every other day!

"kilo" gets the repeat action a lot too!... a great vocal and then a superfriends sample:D

xtollo

TRIBE Member
LOVE this album... quality from start to finish.

the only VERY small problem I have is that he says "the snotty nose" lyric twice! and I swear that's from another rhyme of his.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
I found my copy of Only built for Cuban links in my car yesterday.

What a fuckin classic.

Listening to albums like this reminds me of how bad hip hop is these days.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
sheik rock said:
I found my copy of Only built for Cuban links in my car yesterday.

What a fuckin classic.

Listening to albums like this reminds me of how I need to seriously dig for some good hip hop these days.

that's better.

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
That album (Only Built for Cuban Linx) is one of my all-time faves...

Fishscale has been put away for now but I still think it'll be in my top 5 at the end of the year.

Raekwon just signed to Aftermath so I hope Dre & Co. don't ruin his career...:rolleyes:

SRM

TRIBE Member
probably will.

it's all about that money now, that's what hip hop is all about these days. hip hop today is in a sad state.

kprior

TRIBE Member
Sugar D said:
That album (Only Built for Cuban Linx) is one of my all-time faves...

Fishscale has been put away for now but I still think it'll be in my top 5 at the end of the year.

Raekwon just signed to Aftermath so I hope Dre & Co. don't ruin his career...:rolleyes:

Only Built for Cuban Linx is in my top 5 hip hop albums of all time as well, up there with the likes of low end theory and illmatic.

As for Tony Starks' (aka Ghostface) fishscale I don't think it is making it into my top 5, but is definitly on the A list. The beats are raw and the lyrics are hype, but not of the same calibor as the chef.

Hip Hop has indeed entered a new era, for better or worse I still enjoy a nice street beat and a kickin' rhyme.

kmsmith

TRIBE Member
terrawrist III said:
it's an amazing album mostly due to delegated production...there's a hot MF doom M.I.C. beat used for a WU track!!...that solidifies my czars/wu-tang comparison:D

I don't know...since I firt listened It gets put on every other day!

"kilo" gets the repeat action a lot too!... a great vocal and then a superfriends sample:D

Umm, just bought this album today (due to the overwhelming recommendation of people in this thread) and didn't really dig on it after the first run through? I liked the one track which I had heard as a single before, but just too many skits for me or something....Maybe it'll grow on me, though, I suppose....

Kyle.