• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Getting work email on an iphone when your company doesn't support it

vinder

TRIBE Member
I just got an iphone, and my office will not support it (they will only support blackberrys). We have an exchange server, and OWA (outlook web access), but no OMA (outlook mobile access). I've been trying to get my work email on my iphone, but it's been frustrating, so i'm curious if anyone else has run into this, or knows how to get around it.

I've tried the following without success:
1) To connect to the actual exchange server with the credentials in outlook.
2) Re-direct my email using an outlook rule to gmail (can access gmail natively on the iphone).
3) Forward my email using an outlook rule to gmal.

The only way I can get my work email on my iphone is via OWA, which seems ridiculous because i have to browse to that site and it's not that easy to use on such a small screen. I have friends who've got around it, but they have blackberrys and entered the OWA information in the Rogers blackberry internet service portal and it worked fine (sending their email/calendar to their blackberrys without having to get setup on our blackberry enterprise server).

Anyone else ever dealt with this and knows how to get around it? or any IT guys out there know how i might accomplish this?

thanks!

Last edited:

vinder

TRIBE Member
Synchronica for email, google calendar sync + nuevasync to get my calendar. I really hope they start supporting exchage service cause that was a lot of effort to get something working that shouldve worked out of the box

blipblurpbleep

TRIBE Member
vinder said:
I've tried the following without success:
1) To connect to the actual exchange server with the credentials in outlook.
This may be your problem. I believe the iPhone takes slightly different settings.
I went through what you're going through for the first week I had mine.
Here are my current settings:

Email - myemail@mydomain.com
Username - myusername*
Password - password
Domain - domain.com
------------------------------
Server - mail.domain.com

* If I remember correctly the default value in this field is 'domain\username', only enter the username portion.

If it doesn't ask you for your server after you've entered the first 4 you're most likely entered something incorrectly.
It's all a little foggy at the moment, but i'm pretty sure that's how it went. Although my phone works will ssl on, you may want to toggle it off while using the same credentials...
Let me know if you still have problems.

vinder

TRIBE Member
blipblurpbleep said:
This may be your problem. I believe the iPhone takes slightly different settings.
I went through what you're going through for the first week I had mine.
Here are my current settings:

Email - myemail@mydomain.com
Username - myusername*
Password - password
Domain - domain.com
------------------------------
Server - mail.domain.com

* If I remember correctly the default value in this field is 'domain\username', only enter the username portion.

If it doesn't ask you for your server after you've entered the first 4 you're most likely entered something incorrectly.
It's all a little foggy at the moment, but i'm pretty sure that's how it went. Although my phone works will ssl on, you may want to toggle it off while using the same credentials...
Let me know if you still have problems.
i actually did get it to connect to the exchange server in the end. it's such a night and day difference. It's faster, I can see my global address book without having to store the contacts on my iphone, and i can get attachments.

My problems were:
1) Incorrect URL / IP Address for the exchange server - they use an alias on the OWA, plus the exchange server on our laptops is behind a firewall so it has a different URL than the OWA.
2) Similar to your situation above, I should not have entered the domain. If you don't have to enter it in OWA, you don't ahve to enter it in exchange.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Photon

TRIBE Member
i'm having a problem with my email as well. i can recieve emails no problem but when i try and send an email it says "cannot send mail, recipient address is invalid" which its not because i just hit reply

i'm using my cogeco email address if that helps

vinder

TRIBE Member
Photon said:
i'm having a problem with my email as well. i can recieve emails no problem but when i try and send an email it says "cannot send mail, recipient address is invalid" which its not because i just hit reply

i'm using my cogeco email address if that helps
are you using an IMAP account? check your outbound (SMTP) email server to see if it's setup correctly.