• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

getting stuck, tires spinning

mingster

TRIBE Member
So I got stuck on the ice trying to leave my parking spot last night. Again. 3rd time this year. :mad: I’ve never been stuck this many times in one year. And last night I owed my salvation to the kindness of strangers. I tell you, in times like these, I’m glad to have the help of complete strangers, and I’m glad that these people are usually glad to help. It’s a strange feeling though, because while I am so grateful that they helped me, I don’t feel like I could ever show proper thanks, beyond saying thank you…I’m not gonna just stand there are discuss winter life in TO, or bake them cookies. So I say “thank you, thank you, have a good night, thanks again!” and go on my way. Enjoying my freedom of movement, hoping they realize how grateful I am.

I think I need to invest in a bag of kitty litter to keep in my trunk. Apparently this works?

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
People are stupid in the snow and ice, in that they spin their tires faster trying to get going.

This backfires, since the friction caused by the spinning tires melts the ice, making for an extra slippery surface. Try rubbing two dry ice cubes together, and note that there is a lot of friction between them, and compare to the low friction of wet ice on wet ice.

Cri

TRIBE Member
People are always quick to help when they see a car stuck...probably because they have been helped before to get out of a situation like that..and probably because they will get stuck sometime soon. Getting stuck sucks :p

My car was stuck on the weekend a naked guy in an outdoor hottub (undoubtedly intoxicated :p) ran over to help push .. haha..quite a sight!

thank you thank youthank you :)

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
So I got stuck on the ice trying to leave my parking spot last night. Again. 3rd time this year. :mad: I’ve never been stuck this many times in one year. And last night I owed my salvation to the kindness of strangers. I tell you, in times like these, I’m glad to have the help of complete strangers, and I’m glad that these people are usually glad to help. It’s a strange feeling though, because while I am so grateful that they helped me, I don’t feel like I could ever show proper thanks, beyond saying thank you…I’m not gonna just stand there are discuss winter life in TO, or bake them cookies. So I say “thank you, thank you, have a good night, thanks again!” and go on my way. Enjoying my freedom of movement, hoping they realize how grateful I am.

I think I need to invest in a bag of kitty litter to keep in my trunk. Apparently this works?

you are in a front wheel drive car, weighting down the back end won't really have much of an impact.

I can't remember, do you drive stick Mel?
You might do better to start off in second gear if you know it's gonna be a slippery start.

I bought these metal grid/track things with spikes on them, that you put behind/in front of your drive tires when you're stuck. The spikes stick into the snow/ice and there are metal rungs that your tire can grasp to to get out.

I've used them three times in the past month (in my driveway alone).

best $28 bucks I ever spent (Costco).

The only thing kitty litter in the trunk of your front wheel drive car will do is when you put it under your front wheels as traction.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mingster

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: getting stuck, tires spinning

Originally posted by stir-fry
you are in a front wheel drive car, weighting down the back end won't really have much of an impact.
no? what would i do with the kitty litter to try? just put it around the tires?

I can't remember, do you drive stick Mel?
You might do better to start off in second gear if you know it's gonna be a slippery start.

nope. not anymore. :(

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
My dad used to have me carry around these metal mesh sheets in case that happened to me... basically, I'd stick those at the back of the tire and back up on them.

I would imagine kitty litter would work... so would sand or salt, for that matter.

You could always bake some cookies and leave them in the car just in case. ;)

beatjunkie

TRIBE Member
If you're stuck with no kittie litter, use your floor mats (if you have any) and place them under the tires and drive slow out of your problem......
Works for me.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: getting stuck, tires spinning

Originally posted by mingster
no? what would i do with the kitty litter to try? just put it around the tires?

nope. not anymore. :(
I'm sorry I mis-understood your question. I thought you were carrying the kitty-litter just to weigh the back of your car down.. my pops used to put stuff in the trunk of my mom's car in the winter, but i've been told that it's useless.

I'm sure kitty litter (or sand) would be helpful, it would definately help increase the tire's grab on the ice.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
kitty litter works really well, just throw a bunch under your wheels and in front of your car so that you won't get stuck again.

You don't need to use too much, either.

Sand works well too

Paul

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
I've got pushed out of a jam a few weeks ago by these two dudes. I was stuck for like 30 minutes. I was so glad they showed up. I returned the favour to some woman with her 4X4 suv a couple of weeks ago.

kmac

TRIBE Member
I've been stuck a few times now and thankfully a helpful neighbour is always around. I return the favour (sort of) by salting and shovelling the driveways of the elderly people who live alone on my street. My arms are puny and I can't help push other people out.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kmac
I've been stuck a few times now and thankfully a helpful neighbour is always around. I return the favour (sort of) by salting and shovelling the driveways of the elderly people who live alone on my street. My arms are puny and I can't help push other people out.
kinda like my pipecleaner arms?

yah, I know all about that.

*flexs pipecleaners*:(

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

diablo

TRIBE Member
One time, I got stuck in snow when I was DJing at Milano.

I had to put the car in reverse, get out, rock the car back and forth by the door frame, and then jump in when it started rolling backwards. After I found another spot, I had to carry my heavy-ass record crate for a few blocks to Milano.

My back hurt for days.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by daddyiwantchocolate
I bought these metal grid/track things with spikes on them, that you put behind/in front of your drive tires when you're stuck. The spikes stick into the snow/ice and there are metal rungs that your tire can grasp to to get out.
Those are the things I was telling you to buy last night, mingaling.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
People are stupid in the snow and ice, in that they spin their tires faster trying to get going.

This backfires, since the friction caused by the spinning tires melts the ice, making for an extra slippery surface. Try rubbing two dry ice cubes together, and note that there is a lot of friction between them, and compare to the low friction of wet ice on wet ice.
Ya only in Souther Ontario... I swear ppl here are dumb at times. Have you ever noticed also that when its raining out ppl tend to drive even faster....Duhhhhhh

Can we say " Driving school 101"

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
Have you ever noticed also that when its raining out ppl tend to drive even faster....Duhhhhhh

I do that. Less chance of getting caught speeding when the weather's bad. :eek:

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
It's times like these that I enjoy having 4 wheel drive.
I have yet to get stuck with my car.

I dont have 4wheel drive, but I do have MONSTER snow tires and driving standard does make a big difference.

Yay Pirelli!

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
Ya only in Souther Ontario... I swear ppl here are dumb at times. Have you ever noticed also that when its raining out ppl tend to drive even faster....Duhhhhhh

Nah, not only in southern ontario :) Here you have to deal with every other vehicle being a raised pickup truck without mudflaps - and every driver of one of these insists on flooring it around every corner and every intersection when theres the slightest possibility they might get stuck, regardless of the fact they're throwing rocks onto the 5 or 6 vehicles behind them.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bitchass
Nah, not only in southern ontario :) Here you have to deal with every other vehicle being a raised pickup truck without mudflaps - and every driver of one of these insists on flooring it around every corner and every intersection when theres the slightest possibility they might get stuck, regardless of the fact they're throwing rocks onto the 5 or 6 vehicles behind them.
on the topic I learned not to do that my first year of driving when I did that and those little stone broke a parked cars windshield.

But compared to Norther Ontario were snow is not unhead of and not everyone drives a SUV or a truck (many do) I will stick with how Southern Ontario takes the cake.

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
i strongly recommend that you get winter tires! they'll probably make 'em mandatory in quebec and for good reason.

didja know that start to add more traction and braking power at 7 degrees? its not just the depth or pattern of the grooves, its the way the rubber reacts to the cold...