• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Getting rid of an old car?

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Come August I'll be getting a new car and I need to get rid of my old car. I have a 95 Volkswagen Golf with over 220,000Km. The VW is in pretty poor shape with lots of rust, wiring is almost shot, oil leak in the engine somewhere, exhaust needs work and lots of other small issues. In other words it won't pass a safety and isn't worth fixing up.

I'm buying my mother's car off of her so I won't be able to get some trade in credit from a dealer or anything. So I'm left to get rid of the golf on my own. It's obviously still got some value in it, what are my best options to try and get some easy cash for it?
 
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Old car + fire roads and dirt bike trails= fun rally car adventure!

Bring a hammer, some piano wire and a pair of vise grips and you’re good to go!
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
criagslist isn't bad

If you can get a friend to bring it through the auto auction you'll likely becuase of the condition do alright on it.

there is also always ebay.
 

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Somewhere on that link I posted (might be in the rally forum) there's a rallycross series running in Bancroft this summer too. If your car is still plated, take it up there and run some rallycross with it!
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
Somewhere on that link I posted (might be in the rally forum) there's a rallycross series running in Bancroft this summer too. If your car is still plated, take it up there and run some rallycross with it!


As an aside I'd like to put up a vote for this as well!!!
 

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
Somewhere on that link I posted (might be in the rally forum) there's a rallycross series running in Bancroft this summer too. If your car is still plated, take it up there and run some rallycross with it!

Hell yeah!
 

acheron

TRIBE Member
If worse comes to worst, I think there are still some quarries in Southern Ontario that haven't exceeded their 'sunken car' limit yet...
 

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Ah... when I was younger we called that technique “H-K” it. (for Harden and King gravel co) No standing water in their pit though so you just had to burn it once it died :p
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
I had thought there was a company/charity house that would pick up your car if you wanted to donate it, and give you a receipt for tax purposes the donation value...I also don't know if I'm talking shit.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*
 

Lurker

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
Yeah I know about the tax receipt donations but my greedy self was hoping to score some quick cash from it.

Ice racer! Seriously, post it and see if you can't get $500 for it
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
Yeah I know about the tax receipt donations but my greedy self was hoping to score some quick cash from it.



I'm still going with craigslist on it, if it doesn't sell in a week you lost nothing.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I gave an old car to a triber... and ended up with hundreds in parking tickets! So word of advice: if you give it away, don't be nice and leave the plates on it "just so's we can get it to my mechanic friend's", or you could be in for expensive surprises, and a visit from the cops in the middle of the night, asking if you know some guy who is insisting that you "lent him the car"...
 

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
report it stolen and push if off the scarborough bluffs! :D

that was you get some insurance money AND get to see a car go off a cliff!

:)
 

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
PosTMOd said:
I gave an old car to a triber... and ended up with hundreds in parking tickets! So word of advice: if you give it away, don't be nice and leave the plates on it "just so's we can get it to my mechanic friend's", or you could be in for expensive surprises, and a visit from the cops in the middle of the night, asking if you know some guy who is insisting that you "lent him the car"...


ouch!

who did that?
 

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Hmmmm....I wanna get rid of my 1997 Grand Am...I just sunk 2 grand into it......but since I've won the Tiburon, I'd like to get rid of my old one. New rad, new starter, new tires, new alternator, new break fluid, new power steering fluid, new belt, emission tested and manual transmission. What to do? Car Heaven would be good if I were buying a new GM car...
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top