• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

getting recourse from a moving company

kuba

TRIBE Member
situation:

elaine orders a move. she called about 5 places and one gave her the best quote for a 1-bedroom apartment. Total: $275.00

they show up and invoice us for $500. They wouldnt unload until we paid.

Question:

Does anyone know whether the better business bureau is the appropriate place to call?

Does anyone know any other places? Maybe Silverman :p

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Yes I had a similar experience with movers and I will never hire movers again. After we refused to pay the hugely inflated costs they keyed up our car.

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip
the quote was over the phone (which, I know, is shit)
well, that's going to be tough/impossible to hold up. they can easily come back and say - 'well, once we arrived it was more than what we were expecting'

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
unfortunately, this is really, really common.
i have gotten the same kinda b.s. from movers, and i dont know of any way to recover that money. (its like they were making this shit up as they went along)
it totally blows, and definitely makes me distrust ALL movers.

I thought most people knew not to take the lowest phone estimate.

Ah well, experiential learning.

Better luck next time Jake.

As for people's comments kinda lumping all movers in the same category - it's just not the case. You really truly pay for what you get.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
Well, lessons learned, but Im not going to just lay down and take it up the ass. Im going to call the bbb and see what they say (and I dont mean that mean guy on tribe). They'll say nothing too but whatever, its worth a phone call.

sk8

TRIBE Member
we had the same problem

we had no choice but to pay them either

next time i am getting it on paper and hiring a reputable company rather than the cheapest sounding.

we put it in the "live and learn" category.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
about a year and a half ago i used movers and had a good experience with them. they gave me an hourly rate, i estimated the amount of time it would take them to move us, and i got charged what i expected to get charged.

i wish i could remember the name of the company.

nleye10d1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
about a year and a half ago i used movers and had a good experience with them. they gave me an hourly rate, i estimated the amount of time it would take them to move us, and i got charged what i expected to get charged.

i wish i could remember the name of the company.
aren't you a great help potato bomber

labRat

TRIBE Member
give them a call back.
ask them if their fridge is running.
if they say yes.
follow up with a 'well you better go and catch it then' and hang up.

that'll learn 'em.

although, if they say "no" or "wha'?" then you're truly hosed and you should just hang up.

Adam

TRIBE Member
are movers required to be assholes as part of the job description?

i was helping a friend move on the weekend. the professional movers another tenant hired were hours late, and refused to hand over the elevator key.

we mistakenly tried to explain that we had the elevator booked from 10am to noon, and didnt feel like sitting in the u-haul for 2 fucking hours because these fuckwits were behind schedule.

they were snarky, and mockingly said "it doesnt work that way buddy". umm, as a matter of fact, I think that's exactly how it works! (seinfeld joke about taking reservations)

we decided they were movers and both had mullets, so probably didnt have much to lose, so we eased off.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Call to get them to move you again. Let them show up, and have to work for them. Fart in their general directions for added effect.

kuba

TRIBE Member
basically, there aint shit I c an do.

(except, take them to court)

over, $200 (my court fee will be $150).

so it would be over 50. Im not that stubborn. I just am livid inside that this happened.

NEVER AGAIN. Fuck, I paid ben and chris in beer and pizza and rented a u haul for my move. Total cost: $100.

This one cost FIVE HUNDRED for a one bedroom.

Im going to go on a smearing campaign against this company though.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
by any chance it wasn't "Best Price Movers" was it?

I would never hire anyone to move for me.

My stuff is just too important and trusting anyone to handle my belongings with care and respect is just too far fetched for a stranger getting paid minimum wage. Friends are always my best option. I give them beer and pizza, and they are happy to help.

Good thing too, since I'm moving in 3 weeks :D

sorry about your situation dude, Better Business Bureau is a start. you never know, the same company could already have complaints made toward them. I think if more people spoke up in situations like these, companies would be less likely to take advantage.

noodle

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip

Im going to go on a smearing campaign against this company though.
That's what silverman is for!!!!

There is no way your move should have cost you that much...especially considering it was under 2 hours and you really didn't have that much stuff.

Make complaints anywhere you can..i wouldn't take this as a "live and learn" just yet.

At least you live in a kick ass apartment now.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

squirrely

TRIBE Member
yay new apartment!

i hope the new-place happiness is > than the bastard-movers crappiness.

congrats, you two.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by noodle

There is no way your move should have cost you that much...especially considering it was under 2 hours and you really didn't have that much stuff.

it was under 2 hours and they charged you that much?

ok - that's a little fishy.

ours took around 4 hours at least and they charged us for travel too and from the place - that's why it was so much - but even then it wasn't quite $500 and we had a LOT of stuff.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
ours took about 4 hours and they charged us $360, and we even gave them a tip cause they were so good and quick.