• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Getting I.D'd

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
It should also be noted that health cards in Ontario are not legally acceptable as ID, due to the fact that not everyone has a photo version (myself included..). It is possible that you could be turned away if you try to use it.

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
terrawrist III said:
for someone who runs a pub explain reasons why you and other establishments don't except it??...it's a Government issued phot ID card with watermarks...very confusing...still have yet to get proper explanation as to why...just a shitload of " well...I dont know...just don't"

look for the AGCO website it will explain it
if in fact there is a valid reason they stopped or supposedly stopped the byid card

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
i dont disagree with anyone... a govt issued id is a gov issued id to not let you use it makes it seem like the govt is lying LOL kinda wrong imo

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
I just think in regards to a health card it's funny to think I can walk right into ANY clinic/hospital/Dr's office and plunk this card on the counter and get immediate service yet I can't use the same card to get into a club or have a pint.

JLV

TRIBE Member
^^ I think that's the whole reason behind why you can't use you health card for identification purposes. your health card has your OHIP number on it which is private information. if they allowed health cards to be used as a valid form of ID, think of how many people could/would have a copy of your OHIP number and potentially use it for fraudulent reasons?

edit: for terrawrist III

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
It's the photo issue. Ontario, Manitoba and PEI do not accept them as legal ID. In Quebec, you can use it if you agree to let them record your number. All other provinces allow health cards as ID. In Quebec, a driver's license cannot be asked for, but may be voluntarily provided. Yes, it's stupid.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
JLV said:
^^ I think that's the whole reason behind why you can't use you health card for identification purposes. your health card has your OHIP number on it which is private information. if they allowed health cards to be used as a valid form of ID, think of how many people could/would have a copy of your OHIP number and potentially use it for fraudulent reasons?

edit: for terrawrist III
that makes more sense than any other reason really but I just wish the ID requirements for 19+ businesses was a perfected system. I'd say about 75% of the time I can use my health as normal ID but it's that 25% that could make or break your night...silly. Either outlaw it completely so people are pretty much forced to get the appropriate ID or educate those who are checking it...it seems too random for the ID presented to be solely at the discretion of that person checking it

dyad

TRIBE Member
I had to produce ID at harbourfront to rent skates. They wouldnt accept a health card. I understand them wanting something that you want back so you dont just take the skates but I didnt have anything else on me. After lengthy discussion, "how about my whole wallet" no? *sigh* "cell phone!" *sigh* Finally I asked if the ID had to be mine, and no it didnt so I asked the boy for his. Which, makes it seem altogether sillier.

and another funny thing on the health card id shebang, before passports were required to fly to the states, my health card was accepted without question on both the U.S. and Canada sides.

of course im almost 32 now and look it, so really all i have to do is raise an authoritative eyebrow and they tend to stop asking mid-sentence. ah well at least these laugh lines are doing me some good.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
terrawrist III said:
for someone who runs a pub explain reasons why you and other establishments don't except it??...it's a Government issued phot ID card with watermarks...very confusing...still have yet to get proper explanation as to why...just a shitload of " well...I dont know...just don't"
It's not a legally acceptable form of Government ID in Ontario.
So establishments could get in trouble if they accepted that as your only piece of ID.

Don't blame the establishments, blame the law.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
thom100 said:
you should never let anyone except the police swipe your id, why would you allow them access to your personal information?
They can only access what is actually written on the card itself.

Or are you saying that they can store that information in a computer once it's scanned?

I highly doubt that's what they use it for.
I know in London, specifically, most places have it because a lot of underagers will tamper with the numbers on their ID to make them look older. When the card is scanned, it shows the actual birthdate/name/info on the card... which will flag any cards that have been tampered with.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
It's not a legally acceptable form of Government ID in Ontario.
So establishments could get in trouble if they accepted that as your only piece of ID.

Don't blame the establishments, blame the law.
well no.

I have zero choice but to blame the establishments for accepting it! if it IS a non-acceptable form of ID then it's up to the business to turn it away...by accepting as a legal form of ID it's just confusing the patrons more...

in other words, if 95-100% of all establishments would turn it away wouldn't I have no other choice then to gain/bring the appropriate ID??

like I said...when I AM asked to present ID it's usually the health card and about 75% of the time I have no trouble.

my G-1 is on it's way anyways :D

JESuX

TRIBE Member
kirstenmeows said:
It should also be noted that health cards in Ontario are not legally acceptable as ID, due to the fact that not everyone has a photo version (myself included..). It is possible that you could be turned away if you try to use it.
there was a lot of hot water over this issue a while ago, but to my knowledge it's since been resolved.

i'm 27, a canadian citizen from birth, and i don't drive.

this means that the only two pieces of government issued photo id that i have is my photo health card, and my passport.

the reason they weren't taking health cards at one point is because it's illegal for anyone except for a health care practitioner to record any information off the card. i know the LCBO specifically couldn't take them for a while because they would record information of any id that they asked to see. they've now stopped recording information, and now they take health cards as valid ID - apparently, only if you offer it to them. they can request a second piece of ID, and if the ID you present is a health card they can't accept it.

backwards, indeed.

you should never, ever, ever take your passport out with you unless you're going to another country. this is precisely how my passport was stolen about 8 years ago - at some shitty party in etobicoke.

there lies the issue. if you're a canadian citizen and don't drive, what other form of photo ID exists that is government issued and proves your age, aside from an age of majority card? (which i don't even know where or how to apply for, btw!)

the fact that the whole system is reliant on the fact that *everyone* is a driver or at least has a driver's license is absolutely baffling to me. how has nobody ever stopped to think that maybe there should be a gov't issued form of photo ID that is all-purpose?

okay now i'm motivated. i'm writing an angry letter as we speak.

lol!

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Jeffsus: they ABSOLUTELY do or else the question of it as legal ID wouldn't be discussed in such length ;)

Jess: I'm in the same boat...don't drive and am getting my G-1 simply to use it as ID.

Last edited:

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Jeffsus said:
I don't think health cards have your birthday on it anyway.

-jM
A&D
photo health cards do. they're a step away from a driver's license, basically. address, photo, birth date, expiry date, health card number.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
and for the record: a photo health card IS an acceptable piece of photo ID provided it's presented when requested as your only form of ID. they will NOT accept it as a secondary piece of ID, for example: if they ask to see your driver's license, then request further ID, they will not accept your photo health card.

like i said, it's bananas.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
this has( and if Jess' angry letter doesn't get immediate results!) always will be a great debate for those of us who don't carry a driver's licence...an age of majority card is really the only in between here.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
terrawrist III said:
Jess: I'm in the same boat...don't drive and am getting my G-1 simply to use it as ID.
i was considering doing the same. that's the part that drove me around the bend!

you have to take a test that doesn't even apply to you if you have no intention of driving, as well as pay a hefty fee!

fucking retarded.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
In Santa Barbara my Canadian passport was not acceptable identification to buy whiskey at the grocery store because it was not 'American' federally issued ID....

-jM
A&D