• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Getting back-stabbed by your employer when you leave a job

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
This is really ticking me off, a great guy left his job here for a fantastic opportunity, gave this department in our group a ton of lead time, etc. His boss and Director didn’t take the time to figure out how he produced the "stuff" he did day in, and day out. Now they are scrambling and throwing him under the bus. With claims he deleted all of work on the network, etc. I know the guy, we chat, he did know such thing. Goes to show you, poor planning on someone’s part, doesn’t equal an emergency on anyone else’s part. It’s disgusting actually. I really want to say something. Oh well, not my problem either. Im leaving my role September 6th.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
This is really ticking me off, a great guy left his job here for a fantastic opportunity, gave this department in our group a ton of lead time, etc. His boss and Director didn’t take the time to figure out how he produced the "stuff" he did day in, and day out. Now they are scrambling and throwing him under the bus. With claims he deleted all of work on the network, etc. I know the guy, we chat, he did know such thing. Goes to show you, poor planning on someone’s part, doesn’t equal an emergency on anyone else’s part. It’s disgusting actually. I really want to say something. Oh well, not my problem either. Im leaving my role September 6th.
it must suck to feel like you will likely get back-stabbed when you leave...

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
I expect the same to happen to me, although I’m moving into a different business unit. Who knows. I’m sure they will expect me to come back and let them know where the bodies are buried.

BTW, thanks for moving this post. I rushed to type it out without thinking, appreciate that.

derek

TRIBE Member
actually it's also a poor exit strategy on your friend's part as a well (not suggesting his seniors shouldn't have done some due diligence). whenever, i've left a role i've always created a exit strategy for my boss that detailed what functions and processes i handled direct and where to find the SOPs on how to perform the tasks so the next incumbent wouldn't be struggling and my name we be dragged through the mud as little as possible.

it pays in dividends, shows there's truly no hard feelings and ensures a good future reference.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
actually it's also a poor exit strategy on your friend's part as a well (not suggesting his seniors shouldn't have done some due diligence). whenever, i've left a role i've always created a exit strategy for my boss that detailed what functions and processes i handled direct and where to find the SOPs on how to perform the tasks so the next incumbent wouldn't be struggling and my name we be dragged through the mud as little as possible.

it pays in dividends, shows there's truly no hard feelings and ensures a good future reference.
Ive done that, meeting established, I even made a commitment to come back to help out if they are stuck. Mind you, I have to play that game, Im still in the same firm. But agree, its good karma.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
I've always done the same. Then I still get phone calls in my new division (same corporation), asking me how to do things for which I've already written detailed instructions.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I've always done the same. Then I still get phone calls in my new division (same corporation), asking me how to do things for which I've already written detailed instructions.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If it's inter-divisional, it's best if your management team past and present ensures that you're not supporting your old role for 6 months afterwards.

In my opinion it's always best to be as open as possible as is best to your ability (and so you don't get screwed).

One of my old bosses was fired for someone else's incompetence a couple of years from his retirement. He managed to get let in back into his office the same night by the janitorial staff because he was friends with them and was able to email and print out all of this documentation proving that he wasn't incompetent. He ended up getting a good severance after he sued them, but was still screwed for his pension so he had to work an extra 5-6 years to pad his pay at my current job. The goals he achieved here and his management style leave no room for doubt to his story.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
You work at a bank and are surprised they would throw a hard-working employee under the bus?
I've come across some decent folks surprisingly enough. But yeah Chris, you're right. I guess you just don't see so much at the lower levels. Now that I'm a ton more senior you see this more and more and more.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories