• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Getting A Puppy

Obey

TRIBE Member
so my partner and I are going to get a dog. And man there are a ton of different breeds out there. I want to get a rodesian ridgeback and my partner wants a boxer. so we wil prob be getting a boxer.

What's your favorite breed? and any tips or advice for getting a puppy?

Obey

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Why do you want a Rodesian and why does he want a boxer?

A dog is not an accessory. Keep that in mind. Think about why you really want a dog. Is it so people will look at you and go.....yeah, cool dog. I see it all the time.

Speaking as a dog lover and someone who hopefully one day will have my own puppy mill, I suggest you think long and HARD as to why you really want a dog. And if you do decide to get one, make sure it's something that you can handle.

Rodesians, as I'm sure you know, were bred to chase, and kill lions. They are not good city dogs, just in case you happen to live in the city.

Keep the dog in mind before you make a big mistake. Cuz once you get one, there's no turning back.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by brindle
if you guys are responible enough for a dog, goto the humane society and get one!!
Exactly. That's where I got my cat from and he's a GOD. And this is coming from a dog person. I can't go to the Humane Society cuz I either want to adopt all the animals and/or I start crying. But if you want an animal, that;s the place to go.

orange richie

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nesta
my dog changed my family forever when we got it in november of 2000.
very true... had two dogs in my life and both of them have added a different 'vibe' to my fanily's life. It's like having a new baby in the family. If you don't treat the dog like that, than don't bother getting one. A dog iss your best friend (THIS may sound cheezy) but you kinda have to treat it like one. Basically, if you don't have the time, then don't bother, you'll only torture the dog...

BTW, I'm drunlk and in Montreal so this response may be biased.'..

Rickardo Bel mi r o de la Cruz z....

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
i have a 5 year old boxer myself. they are extremely playful and HYPER dogs! for me it's boxers all the way, just make sure that you are willing to do all the work involved in exercising it.

one more thing, boxers are very prone to tumors. my dog has had 3 in his life. also, do NOT get the ears clipped and propped up. it is an extremely inhumane procedure and does not make them less prone to infection. just make sure to clean its ears regularly with 3 pts water and one part vinegar.

besides, the floppy ears are so cute!

Obey

TRIBE Member
I am aware of the responsibilities of owning a dog. I am also aware of the plus of having a well bred dog as opposed to a humane sociaety dog. adopting a dog is great but it also means the dog has baggage or already formed bad habits. My partner who by the way is a she, has owned boxers all her life and is very responsible and commited. I would never have my dogs ears cropped or the tail docked or any such unnecesary aesthetic surgery. Neutering would be the only thing I would have done.

Its funny how quickely people jump on you for some things.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
i wasn't jumping to conclusions. as a dog lover i just like to stress the importance of taking care and not doing anything to hurt it.

good luck with whatever you choose!

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
Make sure you learn about the dog you're going to get.

Alot of breeds are high maintenance compared to others, so do your research and find out what's good and what's not for you and your partner.

brindle

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Obey
I am aware of the responsibilities of owning a dog. I am also aware of the plus of having a well bred dog as opposed to a humane sociaety dog. adopting a dog is great but it also means the dog has baggage or already formed bad habits. My partner who by the way is a she, has owned boxers all her life and is very responsible and commited. I would never have my dogs ears cropped or the tail docked or any such unnecesary aesthetic surgery. Neutering would be the only thing I would have done.

Its funny how quickely people jump on you for some things.
sorry for jumping on you. I have just seen so many irresponsible dog owners its crazy.

You obviously have not been to humane society or talked to any of the staff with your comment with extra 'baggage' with their dogs. Unfortunately a lot of dogs who make there way to humane society are put down. trust me go down and take a look!

there are also specific shelters for pure bred dogs, called rescues. most of these dogs are given up because owners who thought it would be cute or fun to have a dog and didnt realize the responsibilities.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

tella

TRIBE Member
don't get a cat!

i like pugs, unofrtunately they can be extremely hyper but they are oh so cute. we have a shih tzu and she's the greatest dog ever. small, lil puppy with a big dog attitude. i taught her well ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

teknikal

TRIBE Member
because they're bred within the same family, thus being purebreds.

that's why purebreds generally have more health problems, i.e. goldren retrievers tend to have hip problems or something like that.

thats why breeding within the same family for humans is illegal, at least where we live!