1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Get the "Frack" Out of here! Flaming Tap Water?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by <FresHFunK>, Jul 23, 2010.

1. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

2. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

3. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

Fracking, fracing or fraccing?
    Ed Quillen | Jun 25, 2009 10:57 AM

Most of us have heard of "hydraulic fracturing." It's a way to get fluids out of the ground by drilling a well, then pumping liquid under pressure down the hole. The liquid fractures nearby rocks, thereby releasing a substance (generally natural gas these days) that has been trapped in the rocks.

"Hydraulic fracturing" is a mouthful, though, so naturally there's a shorter locution. The problem for us print journalists is how to spell the condensed version.

Some go with fracing. That's short, but it makes it appear as though the term rhymes with tracing, when it actually rhymes with tracking.

So I go with fracking, since it's pronounced that way. It also fits with the logic of our language, by analogy with trafficking or picnicking. That is, when you're constructing a gerund from a sequence of letters that ends in a hard c, you append a k before adding the ing.

Granted, the terms frack and fracking have appeared on the television show Battlestar Gallactica as a polite substitute for another word that starts with f and ends with k, but the context should make it clear as to which meaning is intended.

I have also heard from geologists who say they spell it fraccing, and one who says it's fracting with a silent t.

As nearly as I can tell, there's no general agreement on how to spell fracking. Sometimes you even see it spelled different ways in the same publication.

It should be noted that hydraulic fracturing is not the only way to frack. About 30 years go, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission attempted some big-time explosive fracturing on Colorado's Western Slope. It had the same goal as modern fracking -- releasing trapped natural gas -- but the Rulison Project involved an atomic bomb.

The natural gas was too radioactive to be used, and there remains a controversy about how close modern operators should be allowed to drill.

4. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

The correct answer is fraccing.

5. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I can see an Italian plumber saying it 'fra-ching'

6. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

This isn't exactly new information.

It's a disgusting technique. I've worked the rigs, and the well servicing end on completed wells.

Any time a frack crew came on site I avoided that sludge like it was radioactive. Some varieties will strip the flesh right off you.

7. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

8. zildjian

zildjian TRIBE Member

The UK is about to embrace this technology also, but unlike the US where Gas prices fell as this plentiful supply came on-stream, we are now told ours will remain the same (for some reason)

Initially it was to be trialled in the unfashionable Lancashire county up north, but also trial extraction has been carried out in the more leafy & wealthy area's nearer London