• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

George Clooney gives his sack to United Way

kyfe

TRIBE Member
This guy is cool beans in my book. He donated his Oscar loot bag to the United Way.

Clooney donates Oscars swag to hurricane victims
Email Print Normal font Large font By Agencies
March 17, 2006

George Clooneyaccepting his best supporting actor Oscar for his role in Syriana at this year's Academy Awards.
Photo: Reuters/Mike Blake

Actor-director George Clooney, who won the best supporting actor Oscar this year for Syriana, has donated his luxury items-laden Oscars gift bag for auction to benefit US hurricane victims, a leading charity said today.

The bags, handed out to participants in the annual Academy Awards ceremony, held this year on March 5, are loaded with thousands of dollars' worth of gifts, including an iPod music player, a BlackBerry personal communications assistant, clothing and jewelry.

Clooney, also nominated for an Oscar for directing Good Night, and Good Luck, is donating the swag bag to the hurricane relief program of the United Way, a charity where he serves on the board of trustees.

The bag and its contents will be auctioned on the United Way internet website, http://www.unitedway.org, for a week, beginning March 21.

Katrina money wasted
US federal auditors have said the government wasted millions of dollars in its award of contracts for disaster relief after Hurricane Katrina, including at least $US3 million ($A4.07 million) for 4,000 beds that never were used.

The Government Accountability Office's review of 13 major contracts, many awarded with limited or no competition after the August 29 storm, offers the first preliminary overview of their soundness.

Waste and mismanagement were widespread due to poor planning and miscommunication, according to the five-page briefing paper released Thursday. That led to payment of money for work never used.

"The government's response to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita depended heavily on contractors to deliver ice, water and food supplies; patch rooftops; and provide housing to displaced residents," said the report by Congress' auditing arm. "The Federal Emergency Management Agency did not adequately anticipate needs."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/clooney-donates-oscars-swag-to-hurricane-victims/2006/03/17/1142098638728.html

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kmac

TRIBE Member
Seriously, the things I would do to him and his sack. Handsome, funny, smart, suave, charitable? Dang.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
A mult-millionaire donating a bag of useless stuff he got for free to charity is not exactly newsworthy, in my opinion.

I got a sample of tampons in the mail a few weeks ago. Maybe I should donate them to a local women's shelter and the Pope will make me a saint.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Resolver

TRIBE Member
I thought it was pretty cool for Clooney to do this. I thought it was also cool when he snubbed the Oscar after party so he can go and hang out with his "real" friends for some dinner.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:
A mult-millionaire donating a bag of useless stuff he got for free to charity is not exactly newsworthy, in my opinion.

I got a sample of tampons in the mail a few weeks ago. Maybe I should donate them to a local women's shelter and the Pope will make me a saint.

St Adrian.

here's the bag list

For the third year in a row, the bag is weighted down with an amazing Canadian travel package:
-stays at the Opus Hotel in Vancouver and the Wickaninnish Inn in Tofino
-dinner at five restaurants: Elixir, West, Coast, Pointe, Shelter
-yoga sessions, spa treatments
-kayaking in Clayoquot Sound, a scenic flight to a remote lake
-and always my personal favorite: two Oxia Oxygen Personal Canisters
Gaiam Gift Certificate ($500)
Signature Days Gift Certificate ($500) "Experiences range from kite-boarding and a ride on an America's Cup Sailboat to spa treatments, yoga, personal chefs and private dance lessons."
Krups XP4050 Premium Pump Espresso Machine and illy's Limited Edition Pistoletto Foundation Espresso Cup Collection (Value: $600)
Vonage, The VTech Expandable Broadband Phone System. (Value: $550)
Two Night Stay in a Suite at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel in New York (Value: $2,300)
Frette cashmere leather trimmed Voyage travel blanket (Value: $1,495)
Firefly mobile phone for kids
The Cheese Impresario at-home artisanal cheese experience for six. These events celebrate fine American artisanal cheeses and wines. The gift certificates are hand-printed on an antique letterpress from the early 1800’s on fine Italian paper.
Moonstruck Chocolates: Twelve truffles within a custom hand-crafted Thai silk and teak wood box. (Value: $100+) This is the second year in the bag for this Portland, OR chocolatier.
The Loved Dog: Personal Training gift card, 3-night stay at Doggie Daycare, and a Luxury Dog Bed. Tamar Geller, a renowned life-coach for dogs and their people, will introduce dogs and their companions to her innovative methods for creating a better relationship.
Tara & Sons pearl and diamond necklace
Mr. Handyman gift certificate for one day of service
Four-night stay in the Vera Wang Suite at Halekulani Hotel, Waikiki Beach, a signature treatment at the famed SpaHalekulani, dinner for two at La Mer at Halekulani
Cornelia Day Resort "Unlimited Card" (worth $2,500), includes a $500 facial, massages, a whole range of beauty products and an entire day of beauty treatments
Dinner party in Morton's Private Boardroom at any of their 69 restaurants (Value: $1500) (this item is a constant in the bag)
Kay Unger vintage silk kimono ($500)
year’s supply of Manni olive oil
two nights (plus surfing lessons) at St. Regis Resort in Monarch Beach, CA ($5,700)
two nights (plus wine tasting) at Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley, CA ($2,500)
three nights at one of five Fairmont Hotel & Resorts ($2500)
A BRUGO Travel Mug (featuring the Perfect Temperature Zone)

As usual, I suspect that some really nifty stuff remains unpublicized. Now on to a few noteables from other giveaways: Victoria's Secret's prize to the best actress nominees this year is a bra and panty set with a removable gold and diamond brooch. Kodak and Kwiat Diamonds have created EasyShare V570 cameras with the best actress nominees' initials in 75 brilliant-cut diamonds (valued at $20,000). Motorola is handling out a special edition gunmetal PEBL phone in a custom gift box to directing and acting nominees. And M&M'S Candies is presenting nominees with personalized M&Ms with their names and words of congratulations printed on each M.

AshG

AdRiaN said:

Reword it as such:

"All Oscar nominated celebs refuse to donate their respective nutsacks with the exception of George Clooney".

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
I cannot even say enough good things about him, but besides being witty, sardonic, debonair, politically-minded AND devastatingly handsome, he's a humanitarian to boot. Cary Grant had nothin on This Guy. Somebody get me a towel...

Last edited: