• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Genre classification re: microhouse

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
I think genre classification in electronic music is redundant at times.

Microhouse?

C'mon....

Why does it seem like everytime the most subtle change is introduced, everyone is quick to coin a new term.

Am I alone on this?

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Microhouse is a long established subgenre, and it's really different from most other 'house' so, I think it's useful.

But it's still for NEEEERRRRDS!

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Spinsah said:
Microhouse is a long established subgenre, and it's really different from most other 'house' so, I think it's useful.

But it's still for NEEEERRRRDS!
Guy at work just calls it dub techno, or minimal techno.

If I add a violin to microhouse can I call it "strings microhouse"?

I think it's all just about elitism.

Which is what this scene appears to spawn at times...

What about classifying producers? How would you classify someone how produces music all across the board, like say, Norman Cook aka Fatboy Slim for example?

basilisk

TRIBE Member
Microhouse is a valid subgenre. It may help to distinguish between descriptive and stylistic components of the phraseology used to describe EDM (or whatever). One doesn't create a new subgenre through wordsmithing - the process is more complicated than that; more rooted in production rather than analysis. I think it's better to view cohesive musical styles as movements rather than subgenres anyway... the former implies a certain dynamism that the latter lacks. I think about this stuff too much, probably.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
The Watcher said:
It can't be a new genre unless there's enough of it out there to warrant it's classification.

It has to start somewhere.

C'mon, I'll produce it....And we can all start throwing around the term Strings Microhouse.

Who's in?!?!

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I don't know about that.

I characterize microhouse as containing many glitchy small or micro samples the example par excellence being, of course, Akufen.

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
The Watcher said:
It can't be a new genre unless there's enough of it out there to warrant it's classification.
What about progressive drum n bass?

That terms seems to have died faster than disco.

xopus

TRIBE Member
Mr_Furious said:
What about classifying producers? How would you classify someone how produces music all across the board, like say, Norman Cook aka Fatboy Slim for example?
i've always just classified producers like that as "solid"
music is music. bad music will always be bad, and good music will always be good. Pigeon-holeing seems like something done by people who are concerned more about the type of music they listen to than the quality of the artists. Just listen to music that is enjoyable. fuck all the labels.

(plus its so much more fun to describe a piece of music like "it kind of sounds like steve reich got locked in a room with adam beyer, they got in a fight, and then esthero broke in a told them to shut the fuck up")

zoo

TRIBE Member
mr furious is just furious that he's no longer "with it"

it's so confusing these days eh, with all these new types of music? maybe you should stick to what you know, leave the new stuff for the young, cool people :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
mr furious is just furious that he's no longer "with it"

it's so confusing these days eh, with all these new types of music? maybe you should stick to what you know, leave the new stuff for the young, cool people :)

"I used to be with it....Now I don't know what IT is....And what it is is scary...."

...Or something to that effect...

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
That's it.. i'm going to create my own genre...

It's going to be sound clips from Zac Morris from Saved by the Bell and Cows mooing.

I'm going to call it MooZak

And if I use baby cow moo samples, it'll be MicroMooZak
This shits gonna be huge.

Last edited:

xopus

TRIBE Member
The Watcher said:
That's it.. i'm going to create my own genre...

It's going to be sound clips from Zac Morris from Saved by the Bell and Cows mooing.

I'm going to call it MooZak

Hah.

littlejon

TRIBE Member
microhouse, glitch house, tiny techno - whatever you call it i still like it.

anyone wanna set me up with some Farben or MRI?
pretty please?

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
you know i've never even heard the term micro-house.
i don't like it.

I think you can classify a genre when it has a specific following. IE people who will go to a micro-house event but wont touch techno with a 10ft poll.

although if I found a group of people like that, i'd be willing to slap each of them with a trout ala miRC.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
I prefer the emerging macrohouse sound coming out of Cologne.

It's just one long bass note without any edits, that makes you shit your pants.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
IshkursGuideToRaveMusic said:
Tech House artists decided to expand their sound into ever more monotonous soundscapes when they decided to create Microhouse: A minimal version of itself not unlike Minimal Techno......only housey. It actually floundered for a few years, narrowly escaping a bitter lawsuit with a software company from Seattle, but lately it's been getting a lot of interesting press more or less because the Glitch guys (like Akufen and Matthew Dear) stumbled upon it and began applying it's sparse aesthete to their clicks and cuts. It now doesn't sound half-bad. When it's sounding like anything at all. Why is it called Microhouse? Because it really IS Micro! The kickdrums, the snares, the hi-hats all sound really compacted and tiny-like, unlike the big booming bassdrums of its brethren genres.

--
^^

zoo

TRIBE Member
syntax error i don't understand you, you have said yourself numerous times that you are gay, and that everyone else is gay, and that everything is gay

why do you feel the need to point this out?