• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

General Tao Chicken

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
why do you all hate 52 division? that's crazy.

i used to sit on a police watchdog group that was run by john sewell, and 52 division always got a disproportionately large amount of complaints, including allegations of improper force (usually directed at young hooligan-looking types, blacks and immigrants) and corruption (including improperly seizing cash from private events that they deemed unacceptable, threatening criminal action to extort paid duty jobs, accepting bags of cash from club-owners, etc.). i have also heard many of these stories from trusted associates and friends, and have personally witnessed bribes changing hands.

i would go on, but hey, this is a thread about chicken. :)

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Klubmasta Will said:
i used to sit on a police watchdog group that was run by john sewell, and 52 division always got a disproportionately large amount of complaints, including allegations of improper force (usually directed at young hooligan-looking types, blacks and immigrants) and corruption (including improperly seizing cash from private events that they deemed unacceptable, threatening criminal action to extort paid duty jobs, accepting bags of cash from club-owners, etc.). i have also heard many of these stories from trusted associates and friends, and have personally witnessed bribes changing hands.

whoah!!!

:eek:

ian

TRIBE Member
Klubmasta Will said:

We need this guy on the job!
serpico.gif

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
SneakyPete said:
The Guv is not within the boundaries of 52 division.

i just looked up the boundaries of 52 division. some (but not all) of my earlier comments should have been directed at another division.

anyway, let's drop it. i didn't want to engage in a cop discussion on this board, and actually regret my earlier post.

back to the topic at hand: chinglish food. :p

silver1

TRIBE Member
Nearly 5 years later and I still stick to my original post.

Go get a Manchurian chicken on Rice from Yueh Tung behind city hall!

Best Chinese chicken dish EVER!!

Krackajak

TRIBE Member
Has anyone mentioned or recommended the Korean equivalent "Kam pong gi"? A couple of Korean/Japanese rest serve it in Toronto, my fav is Hosu. Very sweet, slightly vinegary (sp?) and brilliant on steamed or sushi rice (Rice w/ vinegar)

silver1

TRIBE Member
Has anyone mentioned or recommended the Korean equivalent "Kam pong gi"? A couple of Korean/Japanese rest serve it in Toronto, my fav is Hosu. Very sweet, slightly vinegary (sp?) and brilliant on steamed or sushi rice (Rice w/ vinegar)

Having Korean in-laws I get to eat a lot of this too.

Although I have never found 2 restaurants that serve similar Kam Pong gi. My favourite is at a small restaurant (can't remember the name) On Dundas just west of Islington. Fiery hot, very saucy and no bones (many Korean places serve it with the bone in).

Pottsie

TRIBE Member

I used to live 2 minutes from Hosu and always used to order Kam pong gi on hangover days - we actually nicknamed it "poo poo chicken" because it had a knack for clearing you out.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
for those who like to cook, but also like the convenience of sauces that are ready to go and require no work, VH has come out with a bottled General Tao Chicken sauce which is quite tastey!
058744153520_187x_.jpg

admittedly Ive tried numerous attempts from Toronto restaurants and the best Ive come across is Swatow Restaurant on the East side of Spadina just north of Dundas.
or for a completely different take on it (quite sweet and not spicy at all) check out the General Chou's Chicken from Yips Kitchen in the St Lawrence Market.

TRO

TRIBE Member
[- FuNKtiOn -];4406296 said:
for those who like to cook, but also like the convenience of sauces that are ready to go and require no work, VH has come out with a bottled General Tao Chicken sauce which is quite tastey!
058744153520_187x_.jpg
funny, I made it with this sauce like the next day after my first post...

GET OUT OF MY HEEEAAADD!