• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Gehry's AGO

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Gehry unveils new AGO design

Globe and Mail Update

World-renowned architect Frank Gehry came home to Toronto to show his latest work Wednesday, unveiling his design for the new Art Gallery of Ontario.

The new gallery, highlighted by a glass and titanium façade that spans more than 180 metres along Dundas Street from McCaul Street to Beverley Street and rises 21 metres above street level, will stand mere steps from Mr. Gehry's childhood home.

"I grew up here. I wanted to create something that reflects Toronto and that embraces the neighbourhood," Mr. Gehry said.

Mr. Gehry, 74, who now lives and works in Santa Monica, Calif., has designed such acclaimed buildings as the Museo Guggenheim in Bilbao, Spain; the Nationale-Nederlanden building in Prague and Disney Hall in Los Angeles.

His new design also includes a 137-metre sculpture gallery that extends along the north side of the building, enabling visitors to see out onto Dundas Street, and passers-by to see into the gallery.

A new tinted titanium and glass-faced four-storey south wing will overlook Grange Park and house a centre for contemporary art. A ribbon-like spiral stairway within Walker Court will bring visitors to the new 3rd and 4th floors of the gallery.

The design also aims to use more natural light throughout the building via a new glass roof over Walker Court and a light-filled walkway around its upper perimeter.

"This is a transformative moment for the AGO," AGO director and CEO Matthew Teitelbaum said. "Frank Gehry has designed a building that at once embraces our past and articulates our vision for the future. Our curatorial and programming teams have worked closely with Gehry to integrate his architectural design with the AGO's vision for a new kind of art museum – a place that creates powerful experiences by bringing art and people together in new and exciting ways."

The overall size of the AGO will be increased by 20 per cent. Space for viewing art will increase by 40 per cent to 123,500 square feet. The Canadian galleries will increase by 121 per cent; the Contemporary galleries by 36 per cent; the European galleries by 65 per cent; and the Photography galleries by 240 per cent.

The redesign and expansion is the centrepiece of Transformation AGO, the museum's $500-million project that also includes the previously announced donation of art and funding by Kenneth Thomson.

Groundbreaking is set for early 2005, and the project will be completed in late 2007.

http://globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040128.wghery0128/BNStory/Entertainment

Unfortunately, no pics yet.

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
how much you want to bet all typical whiny Torontonians are going to raise a fit upon being faced with the threat of their craptacular fugly skyline and shitty architectural landscape being altered?

because Toronto is just so fucking spectacular the way it is

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by windowlicker
how much you want to bet all typical whiny Torontonians are going to raise a fit upon being faced with the threat of their craptacular fugly skyline and shitty architectural landscape being altered?

because Toronto is just so fucking spectacular the way it is

shut up

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
whenever a big project comes to town, everyone starts crying

example a) Calatrava is among prospective designers for new building at Ryerson. People get all hot and bothered with idea of having such a big name leave their mark, then when they see his vision they veto it in favour of something more conservative

b) world renowed designer Will Alsop designs OCAD, a school supposedly full of open minded and progressive art students- mayhem ensues when they actually see what is in store- their true conservative colours are exposed when they offer no criticism more eloquent than 'but its so ugly!'

c) Libeskind's crystal vision for the ROM is criticized for being 'out of context'- people complain about his stuff being too 'out there' meanwhile continue to admire his buildings which are at safe distance

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Thats a bit of a nicer post than your earlier one :)

Change will always cause people to freak out.

the skydome was the same way.. .people thought it would 'ruin our skyline'

I say bring on change! ... let's just do it in good taste.

I think the OCAD building is perfectly suited to the school, and to the 'art form' it's tryign to represent... it's a shame, as much as it is a treat, to have it in the city and to witness first hand.

zoo

TRIBE Member
what the problem is?

this staircase is radically tubular:

stair.jpg

kat

TRIBE Member
whenever a big project comes to town, everyone starts crying

example a) Calatrava is among prospective designers for new building at Ryerson. People get all hot and bothered with idea of having such a big name leave their mark, then when they see his vision they veto it in favour of something more conservative

b) world renowed designer Will Alsop designs OCAD, a school supposedly full of open minded and progressive art students- mayhem ensues when they actually see what is in store- their true conservative colours are exposed when they offer no criticism more eloquent than 'but its so ugly!'

c) Libeskind's crystal vision for the ROM is criticized for being 'out of context'- people complain about his stuff being too 'out there' meanwhile continue to admire his buildings which are at safe distance

hey im all for weird..but am i not allowed to say i think something is ugly if i honeslty think its ugly?

i hate when people get all pissy that we dont all share the same tastes.

maybe i will get used to it? its not like the people complaining have any say in the matter

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
not attacking anyone here- the city Toronto in itself is slow to change- I suppose if I hate it so much I could move

if you take cities like Boston and Cleveland (which unlike Toronto were beautiful to begin with), for every lovely historical building they have there is another which is radical and progressive- the general philosophy being not to blend with context but heighten it

granted those cities probably have more money/get more grants but the attitude of the public is positive to change

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kat
hey im all for weird..but am i not allowed to say i think something is ugly if i honeslty think its ugly?

i hate when people get all pissy that we dont all share the same tastes.

maybe i will get used to it? its not like the people complaining have any say in the matter

just saying if people want the big name they better be prepared for what comes with it

KiFe

TRIBE Member
(which unlike Toronto were beautiful to begin with)

what's so ugly about toronto?
you seem to have a real hate-on for this city.... it shows in your posts.

why don't you go jump in the lake?

kat

TRIBE Member
just saying if people want the big name they better be prepared for what comes with it

what people? did we all vote on designers? i dont remember that..

like i said - most of the people who are complaining are the ones with absolutely no say in the matter

acheron

TRIBE Member
Gehry's people forgot to put the OCAD frikkin' eyesore in their model. For reference, I have included it here to give some proper perspective on how the design will look "in the neighborhood."

ocad-ago.jpg

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
After seeing those pics I dont think I even wanna photoshop it, I'm totally digging that style.

That spiral staircase is facking sweet!

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kat
what people? did we all vote on designers? i dont remember that..

like i said - most of the people who are complaining are the ones with absolutely no say in the matter

sorry cryptic response earlier in thread was referring to Ryerson (after announcing that 'world famous architect' Calatrava was prospective designer for few buildings, they sheepishly had to announce later that they were canning his concept for 'more suitable to environment')

a friend who also works at Toronto firm (name omitted) tells me that his bosses (who are currently dealing with Libeskind's firm) constantly complain about them and their work

as for my 'hate on' for Toronto Kife, it mostly deals with attitudes concerning new buildings, treatment of housing, and the like

kat

TRIBE Member
sorry cryptic response earlier in thread was referring to Ryerson (after announcing that 'world famous architect' Calatrava was prospective designer for few buildings, they sheepishly had to announce later that they were canning his concept for 'more suitable to environment')

well..dont make it sound like the general public rejected the guy. it was never put to a vote, it was a few people at ryerson who decided.

and is it really that hard to comprehend that maybe the calatrava design wasnt good?
and if the majority of people who have to work in the building/pay for it dont like it - why would you force it on them?
just because they hired him doesnt mean they have like AND follow through with his designs.