• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Geeks: Test this please.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Can anyone verify this, I got this from an admin I know.

Forcing Windows to give up default 20% bandwidth reservation.

By default Windows XP reserves 20% of your bandwidth. Here is how to fix this.

Go to run type in gpedit on the left you will see local computer policy under this you will see administrative components expand this then go down to network and expand then click Qos folder then on the right double click limit reserveable bandwidth and enable it then just below that look for bandwidth limit (%) and set to 0 zero then click apply. then go to control panel open network connections right click your connection go to properties make sure Qos is there and make sure it is checked . Restart and you are done.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
This is anceint news, you never knew about this Otis?

It was the 1st thing g33ks complained about when installing XP.
There's many fixes far as I know for it.

pr0nstar

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

finary

TRIBE Promoter
Run:
c:\winxp\system32\gpedit.msc

It will display the control panel for Group Policy.

Those instructions you posted were correct.

It also DOES mention on the left pane once you select to configure reservable bandwidth that BY DEFAULT windows does reserve 20% of available bandwidth.

Tweak away!

/finary

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Actually, if you really want to speed up your windows XP machine, do this:

Go to control panel -> administrative tools -> services.

In that list, highlight the service called "RPC" and right-click. Open the properties menu, then check the "disable" box, then select "ok".

Have fun.

:D

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~

In that list, highlight the service called "RPC" and right-click. Open the properties menu, then check the "disable" box, then select "ok".

There goes my connection to the Exchange server. :p

zoo

TRIBE Member

for people that aren't big nerds, don't actually do this, because it looks like you're actually posting a valid "tweak"

silver1

TRIBE Member
The Qos tweek is essentially bogus (for all intents and purposes).

It's only valid if you'er on a network that uses Qos based components (of which virtually none exist in the real world) and all computers on said network also use Qos components.

So for at home users this is essentially a waste of time.

(or so the guru at work tells me).

finary

TRIBE Promoter
real funny...

hey while you guys are at it... try disabling the DNS Client in services too, that'll really help you conserve bandwidth! :rolleyes:

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member

Have fun.

:D

LMFAO, DO NOT do this.....

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I've turned off a bunch of my services on my home machine, but I never heard about this. As far as what silver1 says, if it's a 20% reservation, it wouldn't matter if Qos devices are connected or not.

silver1

TRIBE Member
From TechTV

Windows Tip - Does XP Steal Your Bandwidth?

Windows XP got a bad rap. Morgan comes to its defense.

By Morgan Webb
Printer-friendly format
Email this story

Our Windows Tip today is an Anti-Windows Tip. I love getting emails from our viewers telling me their favorite new tips, tweaks, and hacks, and I must say the following tip had me intrigued. There is a claim, reported on The Register, that Windows XP steals 20 percent of available bandwidth for its own devices. This is not a sinister move toward world takeover on Microsoft's part. The 20 percent bandwidth reservation is blamed on an unnecessary implementation of QoS (Quality of Service) on the XP professional machine.

Some packets are more important than others

QoS assigns numeric priority values to each packet traveling over a network. Packets from mission critical network applications are given a higher priority than the general applications, which are given a higher priority than Bob from HR downloading the latest video's from the Net.

QoS then factors in the size of the packet and the load on the network (if the network is congested) to determine which packet should be sent first. The part of QoS that the XP tweakers are worried about is how QoS allocates and reserves bandwidth for certain critical streams (called RSVP, or Resource ReSerVation Protocol). Their assertion is that QoS, by default, reserves 20 percent of the XP system's bandwidth in case it needs it for a mission critical application.

The truth is that your XP machine needs to be running on a QoS-enabled network and run QoS-enabled applications for it to reserve any available bandwidth. Further, mission critical applications do not reserve portions of bandwidth "in case" they need them, they only reserve a portion prior to transmission and release it afterward.

Testing QoS out

I have tested this and tried to see a difference in my bandwidth allocations. You can use your performance monitor (type "perfmon" into your run menu) and add counters for bandwidth, bytes received, and bytes sent. I pulled down large files before and after the tweak, tried single and multiple FTPs.

I monitored generic http transmissions and ran multiple applications that accessed the Internet. Nothing. I could not create a situation where the tweak made any discernable difference, let alone a difference of 20 percent, either on the corporate network or on my home computer. If you feel you need to make this tweak just in case (as it doesn't really do any harm to your machine), or if you want to test it out for yourself and see what it's all about, you can get the instructions at Tweak XP.

link

butter418

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
Yeah, I've turned off a bunch of my services on my home machine, but I never heard about this. As far as what silver1 says, if it's a 20% reservation, it wouldn't matter if Qos devices are connected or not.

Okay I'm am thoroughly confused because everyone has to insert jokes and smart ass comments so it's hard to tell whats serious and what isn't (if you're not a g33k) . Does this work and give you more bandwidth or doesn't it.:confused:

edit: nevermind someone kindly explained:)

Stan

TRIBE Member
ABSOLUTLY DO NOT disable the Remote Procedure Call Service using any Registry Patches or Hardware Profiles no matter who told you or why!

Remote Procedure Call is a vital core process that is required for your system to function properly and install the security patch.