• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Geek Question

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
All right, the computer I have now is a Pentium 600 with 256MB of RAM running Windows 98SE.

I don't do much on my computer other then e-mail, the web, some MatLab/Maple routines (but nothing crazy) and other student like stuff. However, I have a 6MP digital camera and am finding that my poor computer simply cannot keep up with the 3MB images and really this is the only sort of thing I do on my computer that requires any sort of processing speed.

So I'm wondering.... I have over 8GB of pictures that I would like to easily access, browse through, edit and what not. To do this, should I:

- add more RAM to my existing comupter?
- get a faster processor and more RAM?
- get some special software that is just for use with digital pic (some sort of database)?
- get a better OS?
- get an Apple?

Thanks for your help.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

KiFe

TRIBE Member
add more ram... (512megs is a good start.. and affordable)

get a new processor (2ghz or higer should be more than enough)

and if you're still on 98... and OS upgrade is probably a good thing... i reccomend win2k or xp

don't buy a mac.

You should also note that these upgrades will be hard to do, considering your motherboard is probably too outdated to handle newer processors and much more ram.

it may be time to get a whole new computer. But don't let this shock you... These days you can buy a whole new workstation for around $500 that should satisfy your basic needs.

consider it.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
i believe that 98 doesn't have a clue what to do with RAm over 128mb, so you're wasting your money if you buy more ram.

i'd personally upgrade to windows 2000.. with enough ram, it'll run sweet on that computer.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
If they're images, they will need more CPU for sure.

And stir-fry is wrong, it will address up to 256mb I'm pretty sure, 512mb it doens't know how to handle it. And I also suggest an upgrade to 2K Pro myself.

But the CPU processes the images, especially when compressed.

But if you're going to just add more memory, go for 512mb and install Win2k Pro.

pr0nstar

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Don't worry about more CPU or RAM, just get a mac. Even an older mac will handle that with no problem. It's one of the things its made for.

Stan

TRIBE Member
Get a Mac if:

1. You don't know *anything* about computers, and don't ever want to learn. You view computers as appliances, and don't give a shit about how they work, as long as they do the job.

2. You don't want to use your computer for anything other than the job it's intended for - you don't give a shit about games or whatever.

3. You have lots of money and don't mind paying up to twice as much for your computer.

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Stan
Get a Mac if:

1. You don't know *anything* about computers, and don't ever want to learn. You view computers as appliances, and don't give a shit about how they work, as long as they do the job.

Funny that you would type this, since it makes you sound like you don't know *anything* about computers, and don't ever want to learn. What a stupid thing to say.

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
I had a feeling it was time for a new computer.... however, I'm a bit reluctant to buy one because I think that my future employer will be buying me a nice, new laptop come May.

If I do get a laptop, and will be using my new computer just for pictures and related software, would buying a new, cheap computer with a ton of RAM be the way to go? or would a mac would be best??

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Whether you have twenty or twenty thousand digital photos, iPhoto 4 keeps track of them all, automatically organizing them so you can find them fast. Lightning fast. Easy to use, iPhoto puts you in charge of your photographs — helping you import them, organize them into albums, enhance their appearance, as well as, share them in print, via email, over the web and in stunning coffee-table books.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/

Aeryanna

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by scruffy1

If I do get a laptop, and will be using my new computer just for pictures and related software, would buying a new, cheap computer with a ton of RAM be the way to go? or would a mac would be best??

Get a mac. I switched from Windows to mac a few years ago and i've never regretted it once. Better performance, nicer interface, more robust than windows (In my experience) and easy to upgrade...I love my mac
:D

echo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by scruffy1
..... cheap computer with a ton of RAM be the way to go? or would a mac would be best??

Cheap, and Mac don't go often in the same sentance.

zoo

TRIBE Member
it's not "just" about RAM

things that affect the processing time of your pictures:

1. CPU speed
2. Hard Disk speed
3. RAM

The faster your harddisk, the faster your pics will be read into memory ... so getting a 7200 rpm or higher would be advantageous in this case.

More RAM is always a good thing, but it's the CPU that actually processes the pictures. More RAM just means things will go fluidly and not jerk around, whereas a slow CPU will make things take longer, and a slow harddisk will mean pictures / thumbnails take a bit longer to show up on the screen.

A P3 is a pretty old computer, but is fast enough to "do the job" when it comes to modifying pictures ...

If that's all you do, don't bother upgrading, just install Windows 2000 and slap in some more RAM to total around 256-384. 512 is somewhat overkill in my opinion ...

Your just playing with pictures afterall. :)

Wait awhile longer for a new computer if all you do is web-browse, picture processing, and maple/matlab.

Stan

TRIBE Member
Windows 2000 is alot happier with 512 megs of RAM, and there isn't that much price difference between getting another 128 and getting another 256 (it's like an extra $30), so I'd say just upgrade to 512.

Also, since it's an older computer, it's probably using the older PC-100 or 133 SD-RAM, or if it's *really* old, it might even be using EDO. If you don't know what kind of memory is in your computer, I'd recommend bringing your current memory stick to the store with you, so you won't end up with the wrong kind of memory. The type of memory that is used in current computers is called DDR-SDRAM, which will not work with older computers.