• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Geek: Partiton help!

echootje

TRIBE Member
Here's the deal, I bought a new 120gb HD, I removed my Slave 60gb, installed the 120 and everything's fine with on 0 as my system disk and the 120 for fun.

The problem is with the 60gb I removed; it had 54 as a partition volume and 6gb as a smaller one. I've placed it into a portable 1394/USB2 drive enclosure and it's lost the second partition, and I can't access the first one. I'm having trouble working with the disk now and don't know what I should do.

FYI I thought it would be a slave/master muper setting so I changed the drive from it's slave setting to master.

Rob

beaker

TRIBE Member
hey rob - i don't know if this is related but i recently purchased a 160 GB external triple interface (USB2/Firewire 400/800) drive from LaCie and ran into similar problems. i was partitioning one half HFS+ (Mac) and the other FAT32 (PC) and when i mounted the drive via USB2 on various Macs, i could only see the FAT32 partition. LaCie sent me a replacement and it had the same problems. the drives are fairly new and the tech support at LaCie isn't all that great so i wound up getting a 200 GB Firewire-only drive instead. please keep me posted if you hear anything interesting.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

echootje

TRIBE Member
I'll be using the FW only on this puter matt, and I know that FW prtables work because I've used one here before. I'm afraid to dump all my data on the drive because there's a lot of it, many music mp3's :(

beaker

TRIBE Member
i just read that the controller chip in that drive i had is at fault so it turns out it's completely unrelated.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Give us more details. What kind of partitioning configuration did you use? I'm not familiar with USB drive enclosures, but maybe the driver for the USB drive is picky about the filesystem you use...it may also be related to the size of your drive.

Are you able to read from the drive at all? Is it recognized by Windows as an external storage device (assuming you're using windows)??