• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

geek : cooling and quiet PC's

echootje

TRIBE Member
My PC's fans are loud, I've just cleaned the PC so its a little better but the fact that it's underneath a desk doesn't help matters (the desk functions like a amplifier)

Can anybody recommend some quiet cooling options; I've just got the fans in the power supply and the stock P4 2.4 fan + heatsink currently. I assume they get a little louder with wear and tear.

Also; how effective is that liquid silver stuff?

Rob

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Bah! Other then the fans in the PSU and Processer I have 6 Fans total but I have a fan controller that i can turn them down lower if i want. When I come into some money Imma watercool my PC.

CiG

TRIBE Member

HEllO?

I just bought some quet fans this weekend... I love my PC that much more now...

Silent case fans go for about $15 /ea... A good silent cpu fan with a copper heatsink willl probably be $30 or so...

As for the silver... It helps, but you can use the paste that you get with your cpu fan... It's not silver, but it does the job...

BYe nOW
Luka

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
One of the best PC-mod stores is in Vancouver.
That pisses me off to no end.

They have a watercooling kit that retails for 200$ I've seen the same kit here in T.dot for $400!!
Qu est-ce que fourtrer?

Anyhow... If you get new fans, be sure to have more intake than exhaust. By doing this, you create positive pressure within the box, thus allowing it to cool more efficiently.

If you can get up to Markham, there's a Tiger-Direct store here, on Woodbine, just north of the 407, or south of hwy 7. depending on your frame of reference.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Get a fan with a variable speed control.. sometimes certain frequencies cause the case to vibrate audibly.. after you mount it, crank it to full do some processor intensive tasks, reboot into the bios and monitor fan temperature as you turn it gradually down to a level that's quiet enough for you. Make sure your CPU doesn't go over 75 F. If you don't overclock, you should be able to do this. I also recommend some wiring discipline. Tame them so airflow through your case is optimal, and if you want, get a low rpm intake & exhaust fan to refresh air properly.

Really it's a tweak thing and not a case of applying a single solution.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

RJ45

TRIBE Member
easiest thing is to get a quiet case. these can run a little hot though, so you'll have to be careful. antec makes a good one.. their website has all the details. zalman fan are good as well, and they run quiet.

silver compound makes a difference, but the goo and/or heat transfer pad that comes with most CPUs are pretty good.

Stan

TRIBE Member
Sounds like the main source of noise in your case is the CPU fan. Your best bet is to get a Zalman:

7000aalcu_big.jpg

http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...PROD&Product_Code=1576ZALM&Category_Code=5.95

Costs $50 at Bigfoot Computers. Deep swears by it.

:)

CiG

TRIBE Member

HEllO?

Cool, that's the store where I got all my stuff this weekend... They also sell IDE cables that will allow more airflow in your case...

Don't get carried away though, a cpu fan is probably all you need...

BYe nOW
Luka

Stan

TRIBE Member
Also, if you're using one of the cheap-o noname power supplies, I'd highly recommend upgrading it to a good quality brand like Antec or Enermax. It'll run you about $80 to $100, but it's really really worth it. Not only will it have quieter fans, but it will help ensure the safety of your computer components. The PSU is the heart of your system. If you have a crappy one that burns out, it can take out a bunch of your other components, and then you'll be fucked.

If you buy an Antec case, they come with an excellent quality power supply included, so you'll save some money there.

Stan

TRIBE Member
Re: ...

Originally posted by CiG
Don't get carried away though, a cpu fan is probably all you need...

NO

YOU MUST TRICK OUT YOUR SYSTEM SO YOU CAN BE L337 LIKE ME!!!

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I got a OCZ Gladiator 3 w/ Silent Fan on my Athlon and it works just fine.

Plus some Vantec Stealth Case Fans for my Antec Case..

pr0nstar

Stan

TRIBE Member
Re: ...

Originally posted by CiG
HEllO?

Stan, can you make this system cheaper...

System for My Mom (Solitaire / Internet Machine)

Not unless you want to skimp on the case and get her a cheap $20 piece a shit with a PSU that will burn out in 6 months to a year. That system looks like a winner. You might want to put a hard drive in there, though. Unless you're giving her a hand-me-down 20 gig or something.

CiG

TRIBE Member

HEllO?

Nah, I like the case, and it's the most expensive component of the comp lol... Yeah she'll get her old 40gig, along with her old keyboard/mouse/monitor...

BYe nOW
Luka