• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Gay Samaurais

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Watching channel 203. I was reading the subtitles when suddenly the one Samaurai straddled the other one....

I never heard of gay Samaurais before tonight. Did they exist before? Or are they a new thing?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by alexd
Watching channel 203. I was reading the subtitles when suddenly the one Samaurai straddled the other one....

I never heard of gay Samaurais before tonight. Did they exist before? Or are they a new thing?

Damn See what Tom Cruise has gone and Started.
Damn him and his pretty boy looks and Samauri Teaching skills on Oprah.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
No, this is an authentic Japanese moview with subtitles, tea ceremonies, and swordfighting. Lots of swordfighting.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Taboo (2000)

Widely regarded as the greatest living Japanese director as well as one of the film world's foremost hierophants of transgression, Nagisa Oshima returns from a long hiatus with a film worthy of his reputation. Set in 1865 during the waning days of the Tokugawa shogunate, it focuses on an exotic young male beauty, Kano (Ryuhei Matsuda), who has recently been recruited by the strict Shinsengumi samurai militia. He quickly becomes the lover of another recruit, Hyozo Tashiro (Tadanobu Asano), and, although homosexuality is officially verboten, Commander Kondo (Yoichi Sai) seems to have adopted a don't-ask don't-tell policy. He has little choice, since the teenage wraith soon becomes the prime object of desire for half the militia. Jealousy threatens to erode the company's morale as the samurai engage in kendo swordplay for a shard of attention from the impassive Kano. Captain Hijikata (Takeshi Kitano), the most humane and aware of the samurai, struggles to maintain discipline while fighting against his own attraction to the youth. TABOO is a fascinatingly ambiguous exploration of the uncontrollable force of sexuality in a highly repressive military environment. The ravishingly otherworldly art direction by Yoshinobu Nishioka and insistently minimal score by Ryuichi Sakamoto are particularly notable.

Theatrical release: October 6, 2000

Shooting location: Kyoto, Japan.

This was Oshima's first film in 14 years, due, in part, to a stroke suffered by the 68-year old director.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
that's GOHATTO a.k.a TABOO. it made a big splash at the 1999 cannes festival.

i watched it because beat takeshi is in it and he is awesome.

interesting movie with an ambiguous ending. (ambiguous because there are two ways to interpret the ending.)

ps. gaigin, i don't think you use an "s" to pluralize samurai. :)

Sukebe Jiji

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by alexd
like octupi?

more like there is not such thing as a plural tense in Japanese...so, using your example - tako

and Will, it is not gaigin..it is gaijin you gaijin!

lots of samurai did engage in male-male sexual relationships...definitely not a new thing.

Last edited:

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
This is true, not only were samurai very gay, but they were right fucked in the head in other ways too...I can't remember this book I read about them, i'll think about it further. "Hagakure" maybe.

derek

TRIBE Member
hagakure - the way of the samaurai is a compilation of writing by a samurai turned monk. it is a guide book on how they should conduct themselves.

to get more of an understanding of their philosophy try any book relating to bushido or kendo. the book of five rings is good as well.

cheers,

derek

defazman

TRIBE Member
Aren't they filming a movie in Alberta with Jake Gylenhal about gay cowboys? Sort of like the North American equivalent?