• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Gas Prices, Wtf...

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
wayne bradbury said:
I think its great they maybe able to make a hydrogen hybrid but from what I hear hydrogen is not all that economical production wise. I'm very interested in all the upcoming available alternatives though. I hope they come sooner than later.
hydrogen has its problems like everything but it also being rolled out here across germany. I can't remember the exact time frame but its coming. i was right behind the car and it caught me slight by surprise and I noticed it cuz there was a slight difference in the sound of the engine and you could notice a slight humidity. Then I noticed the fuel filler and it said hydrogen.

Gas will hit 200 a barrel by Xmas so expect prices to increase and there just is not a good enough solution yet for electric. And hydrogen can be made by solar power to.

zedtech

TRIBE Member
kmsmith said:
I agree with what a lot of people are saying in here. I drive to work every day, but I drive a compact, fuel efficient car, so the cost of fuel doesn't affect me that much at all.

What bothers me is the holier than thou attitude which seems to be prevailing here. "I live in the city, take the bus....I'm better. All those who drive a car are ignorant wankers who need to feed their enormous ego...etc." I'm willing to bet more than 90% of these people have called upon the ignorant ego driven wankers with cars for help every now and again. It's okay then, though, right?

I work with one of these people. Drive him to and from work every day because he "doesn't need a car." I rarely see one red penny for gas from him, I just do it so I don't have an empty car going to work.

Either way, I didn't want to crap on people here, as I do agree with the general opinion about high gas prices not being *that* much of a problem. I just don't like car owners being painted as the devil incarnate as a result.

My $.02 (or roughly 1.5% of a litre of gas now, since we're on the topic)

Kyle.
Best post of the thread imo. Well said Kyle!

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
SuperKennyK said:
Stop complaining.

*snip*

Luckily I live in Vancouver, where you don't need a car. I work and live downtown, where EVERYTHING is within walking distance and the temperature rarely drops below zero.

Good grief the idiocy in these gas threads...

"Stop complaining because this doesn't affect me at all."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

chloe69

TRIBE Member
I dont think taking the bus and subway is the solution. Just make cars more fuel efficient. If an SUV did 100 miles per gallon, everyone would drive one.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
gas in vancouver was around $1.32 a litre before i left - in quebec, it's around $1.39.

you ontarians have it cheap :)

Stan

TRIBE Member
You people should stop complaining because I live 20 mins walk from the office / work from home / don't have a job and mooch off my parents and therefore don't need to drive!

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
dj_soo said:
gas in vancouver was around $1.32 a litre before i left - in quebec, it's around $1.39.

you ontarians have it cheap :)
$1.47 in newfoundland.

driving is a luxury, not a right.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Re: Hydrogen and electric cars. Where do you think they're gonna get power from? Last time I checked, Ontario was in a bit of an electrical generation crunch as it is without adding the additional load of millions of private vehicles.

lobo

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
Re: Hydrogen and electric cars. Where do you think they're gonna get power from? Last time I checked, Ontario was in a bit of an electrical generation crunch as it is without adding the additional load of millions of private vehicles.
That's a very good point and not just for Ontario. All of North America seems to be on the band wagon that electric cars are the way to go and that it will free us from being slaves to oil. Well yeah but what exactly *will* happen to all those hydro/electric utilities that are already struggling with existing loads during summer months? Last couple of summers, the Ontario gov't was almost begging us to conserve electricity because they didn't want to risk any brownouts in Toronto. Could you imagine what would happen to our electrical grid if even 5% of the population somehow converted to electric only vehicles within the span of a year? A lot of things have to change before we can all go the route of clean, personal transportation that does not involve two wheels and pedals.

Personally, I drive to and from work everyday because a) I have a kid that needs to get to school/daycare and be picked up and b) my job is 20km away from my house which is even closer than my job last year which was all the way downtown. At least the car I chose to drive is not something that's going to stroke my ego...it's a GREEN Suzuki Swift that gets me about 450km out of a tank which before would only cost $35 to fill....these days it's closer to $50. My other vehicle is a motorcycle which sadly I'm not able to use as much but is easier on the wallet for gas.

Lobo

assassaint

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
Not sure why it's relevant, but I sure do. Work during the summer is a park gate 50km from home so I'm looking at 500km per week on old "Betty White".
huh. are you made of money?? im asking that because you say you cant wait till it hits 2.00 per l

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
assassaint said:
huh. are you made of money?? im asking that because you say you cant wait till it hits 2.00 per l
because there are more factors in this besides the size of your wallet as he has already elaborated upon. reading comprehension ftw.

HybridTheory

TRIBE Member
hate to break it to ya...

but bitching/moaning/complaining about the price of gas won't do anything.

The gov't & oil producers have us by the balls, and they know it.

Greed
n. An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth: "Many . . . attach to competition the stigma of selfish greed" (Henry Fawcett).

There's jack shit we can do about it, might as well just suck it up and deal with it.. or don't drive

gollum

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
I fucking HATE when people complain about the price of gas, it's such gay sauce. In my opinion, gas isn't expensive enough and is only starting to get there.
I knew I liked you for a reason.

Seriously if you don't like the price of gas stop buying it. Its like any other commodity. Change your patterns. If you need to travel for work, make work pay for your travel.

Rather than blame the government, look at alternatives.Gas is far underpriced. Look at the UK they have been paying prices similar to what we pay for upwards of 10 years now.

gollum

TRIBE Member
kmsmith said:
I work with one of these people. Drive him to and from work every day because he "doesn't need a car." I rarely see one red penny for gas from him, I just do it so I don't have an empty car going to work.

Either way, I didn't want to crap on people here, as I do agree with the general opinion about high gas prices not being *that* much of a problem. I just don't like car owners being painted as the devil incarnate as a result.

My $.02 (or roughly 1.5% of a litre of gas now, since we're on the topic)

Kyle.
Just because the guy you drive is a wanker doesn't make everyone who takes the bus a wanker.

I bike or bus to work everyday. I own a car, and just bought a brand new Yaris.

I make fun of people who drive all the time and complain about gas, because they are imho idiots. My wife used to carpool to work, she paid the driver an amount approximately equal to bus fare for the ride (more than the cost of gas and maintenance/ride). The other people in the car didn't contribute anything. This makes them cheap fucks, and has nothing to do with the fact that they think car ownership is stupid, it has everything to do with the fact they are cheap and inconsiderate.

We had a long discussion at work the other day about sustainability and how I can't wait to see $3/litre gas. Nothing like making it cost so much that people have to change their way of thinking.

Car pooling? Public transport? planning your trips? what novel concepts....

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Aside from the indidvidual complaints and the holier than thou attitudes (Yes, some of you you can take bikes or transit, but to tell others to find other jobs is just ridiculous.), how about how this affects our basic needs? Food prices are going up.

If this continues I can guarantee that transit will go up as well and we will see you all bitching in the TTC thread about how expensive it is.

TTC and trucks will be affected as well. Want that item delivered to your door because you don't have a car? expect an increase in delivery fee.

I was just talking to my corner coffee guy today and he was apologizing profusely for the increase in prices. It wasn't that much but he is horrified. It's a mom and pop coffee shop and he now has to pay 30-40% more for items because of delivery costs. He's scared how this will affect business.

It's not just about people who drive cars or not, this affects a whole segment of business as well. It will also affect those in the lower economic areas. If food prices go up, how will this affect the single mom or dad on a strict budget?.. Those on welfare?

Bigger picture. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

assassaint

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
because there are more factors in this besides the size of your wallet as he has already elaborated upon. reading comprehension ftw.
ill try this one more time :

I DRIVE FOR A LIVING.

sorry about them big letters. what he does in a week i do in a day. so how the fuck can i benefit from it if i lose everything that i have??

Stop complaining.

====

Luckily I live in Vancouver, where you don't need a car. I work and live downtown, where EVERYTHING is within walking distance and the temperature rarely drops below zero.
ugh...

assassaint

TRIBE Member
NemIsis said:
Aside from the indidvidual complaints and the holier than thou attitudes (Yes, some of you you can take bikes or transit, but to tell others to find other jobs is just ridiculous.), how about how this affects our basic needs? Food prices are going up.

If this continues I can guarantee that transit will go up as well and we will see you all bitching in the TTC thread about how expensive it is.

TTC and trucks will be affected as well. Want that item delivered to your door because you don't have a car? expect an increase in delivery fee.

I was just talking to my corner coffee guy today and he was apologizing profusely for the increase in prices. It wasn't that much but he is horrified. It's a mom and pop coffee shop and he now has to pay 30-40% more for items because of delivery costs. He's scared how this will affect business.

It's not just about people who drive cars or not, this affects a whole segment of business as well. It will also affect those in the lower economic areas. If food prices go up, how will this affect the single mom or dad on a strict budget?.. Those on welfare?

Bigger picture. My 2 cents.
no, you're wrong. we all live and work downtown. fuck single moms and dads, they should all live and work downtown.

DOWNTOWN

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
assassaint said:
I DRIVE FOR A LIVING.

sorry about them big letters. what he does in a week i do in a day. so how the fuck can i benefit from it if i lose everything that i have??
I think alot of people forget this. What if you are a truck driver, or drive a cab?

The world does not revolve around T.dot. Not every one lives in it, some have to drive to get to it, most depend on food arriving via trucks to their local supermarket, .. and some even work by driving in it. Hey, they might even be that cab driver you people who don't have a car need, when it's late at night .

So, if you get in a cab and it's $40, instead of $25... You can't complain.

Last edited:

assassaint

TRIBE Member
NemIsis said:
I think alot of people forget this. What if you are a truck driver, or drive a cab?

The world does not revolve around T.dot. Not every one lives in it, some have to drive to get to it, most depend on food arriving via trucks to their local supermarket, .. and some even work by driving in it. Hey, they might even be that cab driver you people who don't have a car need, when it's late at night .
and when cab fares go up people will bitch about that.

this is not a "commodity" as some call it, wishing for gas to up to 3 $ per l.

do you understand that if that happens our world would come crashing down?? and im not talking "ooooh i can bike to work" shit, im talking 10 $ per loaf of bread while your annual raise is what, 2 % (IF that)???

when gas goes up to 2 $ living and working downtown will become a bit harder. take my word for it, you'll notice it. 3 $ ..... game over pretty much. and im not being melodramatic.