• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Gas Prices, Wtf...

acheron

TRIBE Member
just like the oil companies say in their cynical way, "reduce demand."

It's that simple. The market can be cruel to the average person, it's oil & gas's turn to shine - but if you think about it, this is exactly the kind of thing we need to encourage us to be better about our fossil fuel usage. The oil embargo of the 1970's paved the way for the more economical japanese and european car to make headway in the North American market- to the point that they now dominate. Perhaps this time we have a chance to beat back the gas guzzler again and move toward high efficiency deisel, flexfuel and hybrids. It's not the best option but it's a big step in the right direction.

Tonedeff

TRIBE Member
10 years ago oil was less than $15 a barrel, today it is about $130.

Gas in the US will be $4 a gallon shortly, and I can remember when it was less than a $1 a gallon (again, about ten years ago).

If you live in a city, and you don't need your car for your job, it is time to give up your car. So many good reasons to do it.

OperatorX

TRIBE Member
acheron said:

It's that simple. The market can be cruel to the average person, it's oil & gas's turn to shine - but if you think about it, this is exactly the kind of thing we need to encourage us to be better about our fossil fuel usage. The oil embargo of the 1970's paved the way for the more economical japanese and european car to make headway in the North American market- to the point that they now dominate. Perhaps this time we have a chance to beat back the gas guzzler again and move toward high efficiency deisel, flexfuel and hybrids. It's not the best option but it's a big step in the right direction.
I agree 100%.

a waterlooU student group created the first hydrogen car using the Equinox, and it only cost them $2million...that may sound crazy expensive but I heard Audi A8's prototype cost them $8million. :eek:

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
acheron said:

This is definitley going to push us in the right direction - kicking and screaming - however the prices will never be the same. Any slack in demand created by conscientious usage and higher efficiency consumption will be picked up by the emerging markets. That's not to say that lessening our usage patterns is a pyrrhic endeavour, only that the primary benefit will be that more people will be able to get some gas to use even though total global consumption will stay the same (or likely still increase some.)

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
JAR said:
unless you have to commute a significant distance daily to work, it's becoming increasingly stupid to own a car.
I take the Go every day and the amount of ppl who take it now is unreal from when I used to commute to school 8 years ago. If it's like by 15 mins you're fucked and might as well wait for another train. It costs my parents $80 to fill there tank..and after all these years of not having a licence and feeling pressured to suck it up and get a licence, I now feel like 'what's the point'..

It's going to cost so much with gas prices/insurance/car repairs.. live in the city and take public transit/ride bike..it's the cleaner way also :)..and if ppl have a job where you do a lot of driving, work should pay for it. I work in a sales office and the a/e's and a/a's are always out visiting clients and when they get gas they just expense it.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I fucking HATE when people complain about the price of gas, it's such gay sauce. In my opinion, gas isn't expensive enough and is only starting to get there.

It's a limited resource (hello!) that's going to run out some day and there's no way that we should be wasting in the way that north Americans do. What's happening now that gas is becoming more expensive is that people are being forced to make smarter choices - whether it's car pool, buy a lower emission car, find alternate ways to get where they're going or find ways to eliminate or reduce those long trips.

As long as people can continue to unnecessarily fill up huge SUVs to drive to work -alone- every single day, then the price of gas is still too cheap.

Besides, higher gas prices will only benefit us in the long run. It will become less desirable to pay the high cost for transportation so we'll be eating more locally grown food, buying more locally made products, and creating less pollution from our vehicles.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
kirstenmeows said:
Trust me.. I live downtown. I work anywhere from Scarberia to Mississauga. I would kill to have a position that allowed me to work close to home or at least TTC it..
good news! you don't have to kill someone in order to find a new job. Unless you want to be leader of the tribe or something. Then you do.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
the_fornicator said:
wow, diesel in Germany just surpassed the price of gas. diesel hit €1.53 ($2.27CND'ish)yesterday whereas gas was €1.41
I just paid €1.49 for benzine a week ago in Dresden.

assassaint

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
I fucking HATE when people complain about the price of gas, it's such gay sauce. In my opinion, gas isn't expensive enough and is only starting to get there.

It's a limited resource (hello!) that's going to run out some day and there's no way that we should be wasting in the way that north Americans do. What's happening now that gas is becoming more expensive is that people are being forced to make smarter choices - whether it's car pool, buy a lower emission car, find alternate ways to get where they're going or find ways to eliminate or reduce those long trips.

As long as people can continue to unnecessarily fill up huge SUVs to drive to work -alone- every single day, then the price of gas is still too cheap.

Besides, higher gas prices will only benefit us in the long run. It will become less desirable to pay the high cost for transportation so we'll be eating more locally grown food, buying more locally made products, and creating less pollution from our vehicles.
do you drive??

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
It is starting to get expensive, but when I did the math on average of how many km's I get per tank it was about $0.12/km. In a day it works out to $3.60 to travel to work and back. With insurance just under $9 a day. Taking the bus is cheaper but no way anywhere near as convenient. I would rather spend the extra $3.50 a day and get somewhere in 1/4 the time. Coffee is still more expensive per litre/gallon than gas.
Although when electric cars finally hit the market with motors capable of highway speed with 300km+ per charge I will definitely buy one. Zenn is currently working on this, supposedly to hit the market by fall 09

kmsmith

TRIBE Member
I agree with what a lot of people are saying in here. I drive to work every day, but I drive a compact, fuel efficient car, so the cost of fuel doesn't affect me that much at all.

What bothers me is the holier than thou attitude which seems to be prevailing here. "I live in the city, take the bus....I'm better. All those who drive a car are ignorant wankers who need to feed their enormous ego...etc." I'm willing to bet more than 90% of these people have called upon the ignorant ego driven wankers with cars for help every now and again. It's okay then, though, right?

I work with one of these people. Drive him to and from work every day because he "doesn't need a car." I rarely see one red penny for gas from him, I just do it so I don't have an empty car going to work.

Either way, I didn't want to crap on people here, as I do agree with the general opinion about high gas prices not being *that* much of a problem. I just don't like car owners being painted as the devil incarnate as a result.

My $.02 (or roughly 1.5% of a litre of gas now, since we're on the topic)

Kyle.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
wayne bradbury said:
It is starting to get expensive, but when I did the math on average of how many km's I get per tank it was about $0.12/km. In a day it works out to $3.60 to travel to work and back. With insurance just under $9 a day. Taking the bus is cheaper but no way anywhere near as convenient. I would rather spend the extra $3.50 a day and get somewhere in 1/4 the time. Coffee is still more expensive per litre/gallon than gas.
Although when electric cars finally hit the market with motors capable of highway speed with 300km+ per charge I will definitely buy one. Zenn is currently working on this, supposedly to hit the market by fall 09

Saw Hydrogen 7 Series BMW today. I can't say I have seen a fuel stop for that in Dresden but I have seen a few in Berlin and that looks like it might have a future. Maybe Hybrid Electric Hydrogen?

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
stargurl* said:
Benzine's selling for €1,58 here in Belgium and I saw it at €1,65 in the Netherlands earlier today.
ahh its cuz you can't drive as fast there so they charge more for fuel.

j/k

it could be more here today I have not checked. i just know at 230K a E series sucks way too much fuel, even if its diesel. Smart car cost about €10.00 to fill for two days worth of Benzine where in Canada or USA it would be like 2-3.

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
Stop complaining. Gas is HUGELY undervalued. By this time next year, I'm convinced that it will cost about $2.20 a liter.

It's a limited resource and eventually we are going to run out.

1 barrel of oil, at the cost of $130 contains 20,000 man hours of energy. When it's put that way, it seems pretty cheap.

Luckily I live in Vancouver, where you don't need a car. I work and live downtown, where EVERYTHING is within walking distance and the temperature rarely drops below zero.

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
Humanjava said:
Saw Hydrogen 7 Series BMW today. I can't say I have seen a fuel stop for that in Dresden but I have seen a few in Berlin and that looks like it might have a future. Maybe Hybrid Electric Hydrogen?
I think its great they maybe able to make a hydrogen hybrid but from what I hear hydrogen is not all that economical production wise. I'm very interested in all the upcoming available alternatives though. I hope they come sooner than later.

Tonedeff

TRIBE Member
SuperKennyK said:
p.

Luckily I live in Vancouver, where you don't need a car. I work and live downtown, where EVERYTHING is within walking distance and the temperature rarely drops below zero.
Vancouver is actually worse than Toronto for percentage of people driving versus taking transit to work, but Toronto is no model for the future either.

About 70% of people in the GTA drive to work, and 56% percent are driving ALONE in their cars. That number goes way up when you consider people coming in from the suburbs.

check out the latest Spacing mag for more details.