1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

gas/oil in the Don River

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by djfear, Aug 15, 2010.

1. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

So this evening I walked by the Don River on the Queen Street bridge and noticed there was gasoline or some other oil product in the water. Seemed odd but didn't think nothing of it. After eating a delicious burger from The Burger Shoppe I walked back across the bridge, and a cop was there checking it out... it looked WAY WORSE and he told my friend and I that some large gas tank was punctured up around Bloor.

Might wanna not swim for a week around Toronto or at least that area :S

2. Isosceles_CAT

Isosceles_CAT TRIBE Promoter

You didn't think nothing of it?

...Really?

3. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

technically that means he thought *something* of it, which sits well with me.

4. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

blogto says the leak was contained, it came from an underground diesel tank that was ruptured by a construction crew who didn't know it was there (always do your locates before digging!).. the oil leaked into a sewer that let out into the Don. An investigation is ongoing.

5. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

from The Star

Clean up crews say a chemical spill in the Don River was the product of a punctured underground fuel tank buried beneath an out-of use airfield.

Construction workers ruptured the tank Sunday while excavating the back lot of a Staples office supply store near Eglinton Ave. E. and Leslie St.

“They were aware of it and it was contained,” said Toronto Fire Capt. Mike Strapko. “The construction company made arrangements to have it pumped out Monday.”

When the site was pelted with heavy rain around 6 p.m., however, the tank began to leak a mixture of chemicals, including aviation fuel and kerosene, into the sewer system, which funnels into the Don River.

According to Toronto Police Const. Wendy Drummond, the fuel tank was buried under the site of a former airfield, which has been out of use for decades.

“It was a holding tank that could have been used to hold gas,” she said. “The actual chemicals are still being determined.”

When the fire department was notified of the spill, the hazardous materials team, along with Toronto Police and Toronto Works, began placing booms across the Don at the Keating Channel, close to where the river flows into Lake Ontario in the city’s east end, to contain and absorb the spill, Strapko said.

The Ministry of Environment and Environment Canada have also been called in to monitor the clean-up efforts, which are expected to wrap up sometime Monday morning.

“It’s routine for us to control these kind of spills that get into the waterways and sewer system . . . but this one has been a little unusual,” Strapko said. “It could have been much worse.”

There’s no word yet on how much fuel managed to seep into the river.

6. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

wow that's literally next door to me.

7. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

where is this airfield?

8. alexd

"the sewage system, which funnels into the Don River" no wonder the keating channel smells so rank - it is the settling pond for the Don River sewage.

9. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

My thought process was more like "Oh man, what the fuck? Why is there gasoline in the don river? Maybe somebody dumped something, or maybe some shit went down up stream."

It wasn't that much when I first saw it plus I wasn't in the proper state of mind to do anything about it at the time, but yah just to be clear it was worrying.

10. alexd

I bet there are all kinds of abandoned gas station tanks and fuel dumps buried around Toronto from the 20's-50's

11. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

12. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I think I_cat was referring to your rather cavalier use of grammar.

13. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

I'm a thoughtful guy, what can I say. :p

14. derek

derek TRIBE Member

lol...it would have been fine if you were discussing formal logic, i suppose. ;)