1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Gartner and IDC agree: the Android invasion's accelerating around the world

Discussion in 'Technology' started by glych t.anomaly, Aug 12, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

Gartner and IDC agree: the Android invasion's accelerating around the world -- Engadget

Last quarter we reported on some pretty stellar growth numbers for Android in the global smartphone marketplace. Back then, Google's OS had a 9.6 percent slice of the pie, but today that's ballooned to a robust 17.2 percent, meaning that in terms of end-user sales over the last three months, Android has nearly matched RIM's BlackBerry sales. That's quite the feat when you consider that a year ago the latter was shifting ten times more units than the former. This fast pace of growth has narrowed down Symbian's lead at the top, in spite of Nokia's favorite OS actually shipping on more phones this year, while the big loser of the quarter has to be Windows Mobile, which contracted both in terms of market share and actual shipments.

Overall, smartphone sales were up by 50 percent year-on-year, according to both Gartner and IDC, while Gartner adds that mobile devices as a whole grew at a tamer 13.3 percent rate. In terms of phone manufacturers' global share, Nokia and Samsung have held on to their top positions, LG, Sony Ericsson and Motorola have experienced some uncomfortable shrinkage, and HTC, RIM and Apple have capitalized to expand their portions. Looking over to IDC's smartphone share data shows, again, that all smartphone makers are growing remarkably well, but it does highlight HTC (129 percent) and Samsung (173 percent) as really improving their presence in the sector. The reason? Android, Android, Android.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HAH

9.6 % - 17.2 % in one year.

[jai]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

cookies all around.

3. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

God, I wonder if WinMo7 will even make a dent in the market.

4. glych t.anomaly

i really hope to see something good come out of WinMo7.

ideally having iOS, Android, WinMo7, BB OS, and quality builds of each going forward, it would create a healthier level of competition, and hopefully drive the overall cost for the consumer down, if all are showing Q, Bi-A, and A profits in devices shipped, and market share.

and it did take Android 2 years, so it would be unfair to not give WinMo7 at least a couple of years, plus the amount of R&D, and effort being put into the Dev for the apps, games etc cant be ignored, as well as the integration with already existing MS tech.

[jai]

5. glych t.anomaly

Android is number one OS among US phone buyers over the last six months

[​IMG]

Android is number one OS among US phone buyers over the last six months -- Engadget

BlackBerry OS? Dead! iOS? Dead! Symbian? Never stood a chance. Android's exponential growth has today been illustrated by Nielsen's statisticians who present us with the above chart of recent US smartphone purchases. It shows that over the six months leading up to August 2010, 32 percent of American new phone buyers had grabbed themselves a device with Google's OS on board, which is comfortably ahead of RIM at 26 percent and Apple at 25 percent. These results corroborate NPD's figures on the matter -- which peg Android at 33 percent of new US purchases -- and reiterate the idea that Android is headed to a place whose name starts with D and ends with omination. One more chart showing total market share can be found after the break (hint: BlackBerry still reigns supreme overall).

[​IMG]

guess iphone4 didnt have as much of a impact as people thought.

[jai]

6. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

they just showed that graph on CNN...or was it CBC.
    brought on a guy to talk about how Android phones are kicking ass in sales.
    when asked about what makes them so desirable, he didn't really know a single thing about them.

7. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

But isn't the reason Android's growth has been so dramatic because it is a cross-platform OS that manufacturers are choosing to put on their devices? These articles are making it seem like the consumer is making a conscious choice to choose the Android OS when in reality it is the manufacturer that is. The consumer may have bought the device for the device regardless of what OS was on it. And aren't more of the entry-level smartphones shipping with Android on them than the other OS options?

Yes Android is succesful but I don't see that because of consumer choice and more because of their business model and agreements with Hardware manufacturers. How many of those low-end smartphone adopters that ended up with Android would have chosen iOS if there was a model in their price range? How many actually care/know what OS is on their device and what it means to them?

8. glych t.anomaly

all fair points.

but the fact remains that regardless of all the speculation, Android is doing what many thought it couldnt do.

and there are many types of consumers, and while yes there is a difference in the overall experience, and i do agree, the availability for a cheaper device with a great OS on it is enticing, but its not just related to reasons that are not controlled by a consumer.

people ' choose ' to buy them, they will have anywhere from and educated knowledge base to being convinced by a salesperson that they should buy it.

but that happens with all devices out there.

its growing fast, its clearly out pacing its competitors in growth, and its catching up to be a contender in the world market.

i cant wait to see if the new webOS full touchscreen sans keyboard device will help bring yet another player to the race.

[jai]

9. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I think almost every phone coming out does what people do not expect it to. Telco companies have finally listened to the public after years of horrible technology (I once had a phone I could receive text msg's on, but couldn't send). Now, there's finally choice, just like the music business. The problem is, there's too much choice, just like the music business, and with so many new phones and new versions and new OS's coming out, its completely clogged the telco industry in most conusmer's minds.

Most people who have cellphones aren't as tech savvy as most and just want a phone. If it happens to be an iphone or have android OS, bonus. That mostly applies to baby boomers.

10. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

You need your own thread for this stuff... or maybe your own blog :D

11. glych t.anomaly

Gartner: Android Share Jumps To 25.5 Percent, Now Second Most Popular OS Worldwide

[​IMG]

Gartner’s third quarter smartphone data is out today and it looks like Android is continuing to grow by leaps and bounds. According to the latest report, Android accounted for 25.5 percent of worldwide smartphone sales, making it the No. 2 operating system, rising from a 3.5 percent marketshare in the same quarter in 2009. Apple’s iOS, on the other hand, dropped from last year, from 17.1 percent in 2009 to 16.6 percent in 2010. Symbian took the top spot with 36.6 percent of sales share.

Gartner also said that global mobile phone sales totaled 417 million units in the third quarter of 2010, a 35 percent increase from the third quarter of 2009. Smartphone sales grew 96 percent from the third quarter last year, and smartphones accounted for 19.3 percent of overall mobile phone sales in the third quarter of 2010.

In terms of North America stats, Apple’s share surged past Research In Motion (RIM) but it still falls behind Android. Gartner estimated that Android phones accounted for 75 percent to 80 percent of Verizon Wireless’s smartphone trade in the third quarter of 2010.

Android’s staggering growth isn’t surprising, considering there have been similar reports of the operating system’s ascent up the smartphone food chain. Recent Nielsen data showed that Android devices were the most popular choice for new smartphone purchases over the past six months.

zoooooom.

[jai]

12. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i endorse this message

13. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Why? We can all read tech crunch and gizmodo, etc, ourselves, can't we?

14. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

My girlfriend has a temporary android samsung galaxy replacement. I gotta say, it completely sucks. Like it's not good. My windows HTC I think has more mojo.

15. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

I'm loving the htc desire running android

16. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i was more thinking of it in the "anywhere but here" way....

17. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

I take it back. I was using the HTC desire and it was great. Must have been the phone.