• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Gaming Rig

praktik

TRIBE Member
Also, I need far far less cables these days. I hardly have any internal drives anymore.

My system drive is now in a Pcie slot.

Sleeve only the cables you need! There's a range of pricing on that site and if you're insane you can spend 500 bones on a whole set, you can poke around though and find options with key cables you need for under 100

praktik

TRIBE Member
Case has arrived.

Too much troubleshooting at work this week. I refuse to tinker this weekend or until more sleep has occurred.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
So on my new rig I have a 80 Gig SSD as the drive with windows on it. I have three other external drives for all my storage and stuff.

I think 80 is a bit small. With windows and my programs installed I have only 25 gigs left over.

For example when a video editing program fires up and creates files to work with, it jams up my 80 drive full and stops working.

I guess I could tell the program to send its temp files to a storage drive?

or by a bigger SSD and install windows on it?

I still need to tinker.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Yes - you need to do that kind of shit. I had an 80 gig system drive for the longest time. I would have just a few games and do all othe rshit, content creation, downloads - all on mechancial

I never filled up the drive but would come close sometimes - you know windows leaves behind a lot of files after an update and such. Often saw that status bar in red!

SSDs are pretty much the land of milk and honey - grab yourself a decent, not crazy expensive 500gb SSD one day

and when you do? if your windows install is going great you can use software like Acronis to copy your system drive over to the larger drive in a way that is bootable and perfect.

Straight "copy C: to D:" doesn't cut it.... but this way you can avoid a reinstall when switching your drive! Im sure there are freeware alternatives to Acronis that will do same job for you that day too.

Also SSDs need spare area - if you are always close to the 80GB your performance will suffer

praktik

TRIBE Member
In the meantime lusting after another micro-atx case, and thinking I will jump on this badboy in the next month - transfer my FT03 build into this guy:

ocaholic - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX Tempered Glass Review - Cases - Reviews

Nice watercool options here too - but probably will just have a bit more breathing room for my components - my system is probably just a bit too beefy now after transplanting my souped up computer guts to a smaller case!
Wow - this case is even better than I was hoping. Great experience! Had teammates step up and give me more free time last weekend than i thought i would have. Did build in a few sessions over the weekend.

COmpany cares and you can tell from the little shit like this:

pics by EOW - its a beauty!

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
Small issue, connected pump in my AIO cooler to the CPU Fan outlet, when I ran an Asus fan test It brought the pump way too low!

Good advice is to connect the pump directly to your power supply, using a molex or sata power connector to a 3 pin fan connect.

This keeps the pump going 100%

Since correcting for this issue I can confirm the new case has solved all my heat issues!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Build complete, cable combs and RGB for the win!

Probably sexiest case for $160 I've ever owned and a dream to build in.

New phanteks customer for a while for sure!!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Two firsts in this build related to the absence of tech that has been present in all my builds for a few decades but are now no longer, first ever build without using one of these:

Or one of these:

praktik

TRIBE Member
...if it wasn't for going "wtf" on adding a 2TB internal... woulda been first build without any internal SATA drives too!

System drive is 960 evo NVMe drive in a x4 PCIe slot!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Anyone want a GTX 980 Poseidon edition?

Great 1080p card. Runs everything, but w/ latest titles can't have ultra settings all the time, need to pull back a few things but can still game generally on high settings.

I'd be willing to let this puppy go for a "Tribe Nice Price" of $200.

Might keep it but thought I'd mention it - sitting in a box unused so its first come first serve, PM me!

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I might be interested. I have the AMD RADEON - X R7 260, 2GB - GDDR5. It cant seem to push Skyrim on ultra. FPS are around 30 or so. (steam says so)

On high setting the card can push 50 - 60 FPS. (better)

Need to look into the 980. I have read a lot of good reviews of the GX 970.

Plus the rig I bought is installed tight, not a cable out of place....so I wouldnt have a clue how to swap the friggin thing.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I might be interested. I have the AMD RADEON - X R7 260, 2GB - GDDR5. It cant seem to push Skyrim on ultra. FPS are around 30 or so. (steam says so)

On high setting the card can push 50 - 60 FPS. (better)

Need to look into the 980. I have read a lot of good reviews of the GX 970.

Plus the rig I bought is installed tight, not a cable out of place....so I wouldnt have a clue how to swap the friggin thing.
whats your case model again? is it up in the thread?

I would just want to validate the size, its a bit of a beast:

greginhali

TRIBE Member
The case is a Corsair Cabide Series Mini Tower Gaming Case with Reed Leds.

Carbide Series® SPEC-02 Red LED Mid-Tower Gaming Case

Kinda looks like that one.

I opened it up to look at the hard drives. Who ever built it did it right, not a cable out of place, everything in tight.

I play skyrim and watch the FPS on steam....... bounce between 30 fps on Ultra. Lower it to High and im back up to 60 FPS.

Im sure what you have can crush what my AMD RADEON - X R7 260, 2GB - GDDR5 is doing.

praktik

TRIBE Member
The case is a Corsair Cabide Series Mini Tower Gaming Case with Reed Leds.

Carbide Series® SPEC-02 Red LED Mid-Tower Gaming Case

Kinda looks like that one.

I opened it up to look at the hard drives. Who ever built it did it right, not a cable out of place, everything in tight.

I play skyrim and watch the FPS on steam....... bounce between 30 fps on Ultra. Lower it to High and im back up to 60 FPS.

Im sure what you have can crush what my AMD RADEON - X R7 260, 2GB - GDDR5 is doing.
I believe it should be a little beefier for you. I am betting card will fit your case too

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-AMD-R7-260X/2576vs3151

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Yes!

I finally got to sit down and give it a proper test. The graphics are poppin on the game now. My kids are blown away with how real everything looks. There is a big difference.

Thanks for the hook up / install! It was service with a smile. Big up.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
We got a PS4 over the holidays and liking it.

Star Wars battlefront II. FIFA 2018, and Mortal Kombat XL. Pretty cool!!

The journey mode in FIFA 2018 has me captured.

It’s pretty cool. I was ready to go back to PC but you know the PS4 is pretty cool.

Got NHL 2017 used but haven’t given it attention yet.

I like the multi player online but I need to buy PlayStation plus.

Did the two day preview and I was playing FIFA guys online and getting my ass kicked.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Neato. I’m hooked on the FIFA journey story on chapter 5 when I gotta get Williams career on track. Hunter got an MCL tear.

Chapter 5 still playing with Coutinho on Liverpool. Can’t update the rosters fast enough to get Virgil on it. They still have Sakho as a starter.

Excuse me!

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
Fifa 18 is a real grind for me this year.

Finding my way back to Rocket League and narrative driven adventure games. The new GPU means its worth touring through the catalogue a bit more.

After grinding ultimate team for 3 years intensely just getting less and less out of it.

But it's partly my own journey, if I was more into it I think 18 is a way better title. People just play like twats and the good people are spending over a hundred hours a week on it.

Tough to keep up.

Made div 4 or so at my peak in 18 and 17 seasons, almost qualified for weekend league a bunch of times but would lose on final game...

18 plays better and rewards more game styles than 17.

Be careful in squad selection and use custom tactics to drop your defense back, pace is still prized online and they're always trying to blow past you.

praktik

TRIBE Member
JamesM - squad battles, good place to earn rewards offline and train up! Had a few fun cpu match and then a shitty one against a person

Make sure you have the right setup, if learning fifa maybe look online for popular custom config and give a few a try, I have turbo on a shoulder button and some swaps I've been using vs the normal, default config

It's a good time to try a better controller scheme if just getting back into it.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Will say James, give Rocket League a try, it's way deeper than you think.

Also comparing like effort to reward, and price to reward - just gives you more back.

Easy to plateau in fifa and put in tons of effort and not get much back, the ranking is more stratified and harder to penetrate.

Meanwhile over a year of playing rocket league more I just feel the progression better.

Fifa is such a grind sometimes!!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Also put your auto switching onto "air balls" and auto switching move assistance to "high"

When preparing for corners on defense select a player that's forward and out of the mess in the middle, when opposing cross comes the cpu will always pick the best player to receive the cross.

Don't forget to jockey as the ball descends on offense or defense when a cross is coming, can help gain you advantage and put covering player down for a moment just as the ball comes, freeing you up for a shot/clear