• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Gaming Rig

praktik

TRIBE Member
Interesting.. though with a price of £639 I'm wary. Even the suggested Euro MSRP of 799 is high. The comparable ACER is ~ $900 CAD and the ASUS just north of $1100 CAD.

My SO just watched a bunch of YT videos about 4K gaming and 40-50" 4K TV's used as monitors. Now she's measuring her desk to figure out if one would fit. Sigh.
Ya aren't those panels TN panels though?

This looks to have the rare combo of: IPS/greater than 60hz refresh/Gysnc/1440p

The ones I've been looking at from Asus have not been IPS but yknow, its just a matter of time before they have the above combo if they don't already!

Lojack

TRIBE Member
I'm glad to report that my SO is no longer focused on a big screen TV as a monitor. She's decided she wants to do VR and wants to know when I'll buy a Vive.

I'll admit I've been thinking of it. But dude.

You'll be invited over in the fall once I've saved enough pennies for one. Guess I'll be picking up a 1080 too.

Last edited:

Thereckoner

Honestly? Those are usually dirt cheap for a reason. If you want a latest-generation wifi radio, you're going to pay for it, but it will perform so much better. Wifi is really a war of attrition, between having the latest chipsets and drivers compared to your neighbors.

Anyway, I searched and found this site which lists a few:

Our Picks for Best USB Wireless Network Adapters 2016 | WirelessHack
I still think its best for a gaming rig to be directly connect via ethernet. I have a ac1900 wifi adapter in my rig just because I dont like wires.
Best Wireless Adapter for Gaming 2017 - TheGeekyList Buyer's Guide

Most of the wifi adapters that seem to be great for gaming were about 50+ but I wouldn't pay more than 100$ buxs

Thereckoner

ya i dunno why 2nd hand GPU prices are still so high

was crazy to see how much my titans were going for
I've noticed that too, but I wouldn't ever want to buy a second hand GPU. Who really knows what type of damage has happened with its previous owner

acheron

TRIBE Member
My son just put this together after saving up all summer working at a grocery store (he's 15...)

MSI - Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Kingston - FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
Intel - 7th Gen Core i5-7600k Desktop Processor
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 FTW HYBRID GAMING 8GB GDDR5X

He's pretty chuffed about it. getting 100+ fps on maxed out settings in most of his games.

praktik

TRIBE Member
The 850 Evo is amazing for him I bet

I just put a 1TB 960 evo in and it's the best single upgrade I've done since my original leap from mechanical to Ssd!

praktik

TRIBE Member
I approve of the whole list!

Though I do go for seasonic on the PSU... Smallest thing and only thing I might change. His 1080 will be wicked.

I'm loving my 980 so for sure it's even wicked-er

praktik

TRIBE Member
I've consolidated computers people. I'm considering parting with my beloved Silverstone Temijn TJ-11

SilverStone Temjin TJ11 Review | bit-tech.net

This is a dream case at a dream price, but has some amazing features like strong air cooling out the box and liquid cooling room to spare.

I ain't decided yet. Just considering it. The resale online is pretty much what I paid for it, which is tempting me

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I am still looking to buy a gaming rig......I know Im slow, but it time. Here is what Im looking at on Kijji. What do you think of the specs?

Amazing Gaming PC (i7 3770/16GB/AMD R7-260/SSD80/HDD 1 TB WIN10) | Desktop Computers | City of Toronto | Kijiji

HARDWARE: MOTHERBOARD: INTEL DQ77MK IVY BRIDGE, SOCKET 1155 PROCESSOR: INTEL CORE i7 3770, 4 CORE - 8 THREADS, 8MB L3 CATCH CPU COOLER: COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO CASE: CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES MINI TOWER GAMING CASE WITH RED LEDs MEMORY: 16 GB DDR3 DUAL CHANNEL SSD: 80 GB Intel FOR PROGRAMS AND OPERATING SYSTEM HARD DRIVE: 1 TB FOR STORAGE OPTICAL DRIVE: DVD WRITER SUPER MULTI SATA POWER SUPPLY: COOLER MASTER 650 WATTS, 80 PLUS BRONZE GRAPHIC: SAPHIRE AMD RADEON - X R7 260, 2GB - GDDR5

Software: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits MS Office Symantec Antivirus Nero All in one CD/DVD

He is looking for $650

Worth it?

praktik

TRIBE Member
Not a bad price but I would consider upgrading the GPU for sure

Get yourself a 1070!

That said I am dealing with computers a tad older

1156 socket, i7

The cpu in the computer for sale is no slouch, but may start showing its age inside 3 years.

It will run through any game currently released when matched to a better Gpu

I would see if he could drop 20-50$ off the price

But all the components are solid save for a weaker GPU

praktik

TRIBE Member
Also q77 chipset on that mobo does not let you boot from the new NVMe ssd.

I have z97 chipset, these are first where you can do so reliably.

I feel like this computer is just a whisker too old in cpu and mobo gen, I wonder if you can't find a Z97 or later chipset used computer for same price

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the reply. I was going to go look at it this evening.

Im not even sure what "boot from NVM ssd" means. Are those faster SSD drives?

Im looking to play a few video games on this computer, do some video editing. I will probably upgrade the video card at some point.

I just want make sure im not getting hosed on money. I tried to add up part by part and it seems 650 is good value.

Do you think the price is in the ball park?

praktik

TRIBE Member
NVMe SSDs connect directly to the fastest pipeline available to the CPU, standard SSDs use the old storage connection method, SATA.

Going from a normal SSD to an NVME SSD is as big an upgrade for a computer as the original ssd upgrade was when moving from mechanical drives.

praktik

TRIBE Member
hmmm had no issues first few weeks stress testing - but my hotter components are having a tough time in my nice little Silverstone FT03.

SilverStone FT03: Nothing Else Like It

Had some annoying work troubleshooting consume me last few weeks. Had a few wrinkles in my double computer transplant (took new mobo, guts from my Temijin TJ11 build, put this into my FT03 - freed up parts to put into an Aerocool DS-Cube I built for my brother: pic of build here)

So ya - just a lot of annoying troubleshooting, mostly work related - but on my little FT03 build I had a heck of time restoring access to an external hard drive (windows security rules annoyances) and had some malware infect me sunday morning. Monday was just a killer killer 13 hour workday.

I had family over all weekend too - monday night comes. So tired. Just want to get my game on.

3 mins into my first FUT match, computer shuts off - thermal throttling! Was a bit hotter and humid last night i guess. Opened up the side and blasted a home fan on it - worked a treat!

Components are just a bit too toasty - OR - my cooler needs re-seating, which i will try.

In the meantime lusting after another micro-atx case, and thinking I will jump on this badboy in the next month - transfer my FT03 build into this guy:

ocaholic - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX Tempered Glass Review - Cases - Reviews

Nice watercool options here too - but probably will just have a bit more breathing room for my components - my system is probably just a bit too beefy now after transplanting my souped up computer guts to a smaller case!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Yep, def too hot.

Turned temp log on and I'm at thermal limits of my cpu!

Learned this trick: get logging on any new build or change. Gives you something to look at once the machine turns back on, you can see state before it crashed.

Windows event viewer good if having Windows issues, you need third party software to capture temperatures.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Trying to get my PS3 controller to work with my PC. I have bought a wireless dongle. Were I plug it into a USB port and the PS3 controller syncs up to it.

But do i need to download some third party software like motion joy?

it seems a little sketchy that software.

any input is appreciated.

G

Jeffstren

I see the GTX970 Nvidia here:

GTX970 Nvidia | system components | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji

I love reading the above posts but Im out of my league. Im not sure if I can build it myself. Ill keep reading up on how to get it running. I dont think ill get into hardcore gaming on my PC, but I would like to check out the skyrim mod scene.

Ill keep posting question, thanks for answering and pointing me in the right direction.
We have the same video card.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Trying to get my PS3 controller to work with my PC. I have bought a wireless dongle. Were I plug it into a USB port and the PS3 controller syncs up to it.

But do i need to download some third party software like motion joy?

it seems a little sketchy that software.

any input is appreciated.

G
I've never messed with that. Been using Microsoft controllers for years.

I bet you there are good guides online thougg

greginhali

TRIBE Member
PS3 controller up and running. I had to grab some drivers but it works well now. Im pumped to be finally gaming with a PC.

praktik

TRIBE Member
PS3 controller up and running. I had to grab some drivers but it works well now. Im pumped to be finally gaming with a PC.

Nice!

Ya i love using console controllers for PC - though I hear the latest steam controllers are pretty rad

praktik

TRIBE Member
Pulled the trigger! Incoming one of these

Phanteks EVOLV MATX Micro-Tower Chassis Review

Gonna save the Silverstone FT03 - such a neat little case. Components getting more and more low power, so will resurrect as HTPC box some day in the future.

When housesitter was over he didn't even start the computer up for gaming I told him to take advantage of, cause he couldnt even see the computer right under the TV he watched instead - looked like a speaker!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Also - found a place that does custom cabling. THe fancy sleeved cabling you see most of the time is extension cabling. I had this in one of my old builds - while its a bit of a bling thing the air moves around them better so there are airflow improvements beyond the aesthetics.

Had a giant case though! So tons of room to dump the PSU original cabling and then add this shit on the end of it.

So found these people: http://www.moddiy.com/

And pretty much if you've been buying PSU from a major brand, they can make you cables with the right connector on the PSU end so you just junk ALL the cables and have ONLY sleeved cables coming right out of the PSU.

Went for some 50cm all white sleeved cables for a corsair AX1200 - getting new life out of a great, high power older PSU (5 years). Slightly smaller cables mean less to worry about for cable management.

And even a mATX case can fit it - the Phanteks I have coming will take the AX1200 easily (210mm PSU)